So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Great song, and I think the '88 Greatest Hits was when it finally appeared on a proper Journey album. After 30+ years, I finally saw Vision Quest this past spring. "Only The Young" kicked off the opening titles in all its 80's glory!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Journey- Be Good to Yourself/Only the Young
    I've always loved this artwork of the JRNY radio studio. Cool.
    The lead single from Raised on Radio, this reached #9 USA and #90 UK. Gone are Steve Smith and Ross Valley...replaced by Larrie Londin and Randy Jackson. And now I'm the Producer's chair? None other than Steve Perry! Yes folks, the writing was on the wall!

This is a fine upbeat pop/rock song that only grows on me over time. Randy Jackson's bass playing is a highlight here as it really propels the song forward. This is the first Journey single in awhile to prominently feature background vocals. A dying art in Journey songs since the departure of Gregg Rolie.
    [​IMG]

Grant likes this.
  3. Juggsnelson

I still have NEVER seen it! Which is crazy because I have seen a staggering amount of 80's films.

team2 likes this.
  4. team2

team2 Forum Resident

That was one of several 80s classics I never saw until this year. Sixteen Candles, Pretty In Pink and Legend of Billie Jean were the others...

ascot and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. Juggsnelson

My wife LOVES Legend of Billie Jean! I caught all of those well after release date. Back in the 80's I was obsessed with A) Star Wars and its knock offs B) Anything horror and C) Action Movies. I have seen every Chuck Norris and Charles Bronson movie a disturbing number of times!

team2 likes this.
  6. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Only The Young" and "Ask The Lonely" were two of my favorite Journey songs as a 13 yr old. I could never understand why I couldn't find them on any Journey albums at the time, not really understanding soundtracks to movies fully at the time. I was so happy when Journey's Greatest Hits came out and they were both on it. I still love Journey and those two songs are a couple of my all time favorites by them.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  7. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I haven't seen the movie in 30 some years, but I love the soundtrack.

01 "Only The Young" - Journey
    02 "Change" - John Waite
    03 "Shout To The Top" - The Style Council
    04 "Gambler" - Madonna
    05 "She's On The Zoom" - Don Henley
    06 "Hungry For Heaven" - Dio
    07 "Lunatic Fringe" - Red Rider
    08 "I'll Fall In Love Again" - Sammy Hagar
    09 "Hot Blooded" - Foreigner
    10 "Crazy For You" - Madonna

8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Steve Perry's voice is certainly a force of nature. It's such a powerful element in the group that it becomes the group to the casual listener. Much like Freddie Mercury or Jagger. Yet, just as it can make a song soar through the stratosphere, it can also make an already annoying song even worse. By the time Open Arms was ruling the charts, I was all ballad-ed out. That song made me cringe in the 80s but okay, in my looming dotage I find I can appreciate it's beauty much more and Perry of course, sings the hell out of it. Only The Young is a glorious slice of 80s cheese, quite tasty.

9. Juggsnelson

Ask the Lonely is probably my favorite Journey song. It rocks! That part at the end when the music stops and the gang vocals shout "When you're feelin' love's unfair, you just ask the Lonely"....has me screaming along every time.

bvb1123 likes this.
  10. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Oh yeah. Definitely the best part of that song!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Juggsnelson

The soundtrack is great and gets played here pretty often. I love soundtracks from the late 70's through the mid 90's. So many great songs and one offs found only on these albums. Even lesser movies had killer soundtracks like The Wraith, Playing For Keeps, American Anthem, A Fine Mess, Times Square, etc...Many gems to be found.

team2, ascot and Surly like this.
  12. Juggsnelson

I hear you! I was pretty burned out on Don't Stop Believin for about 15 years. My local hangout always had it in the jukebox and you would hear it 10 times a night...usually screamed by drunken college girls. The same thing happened with Brown Eyed Girl, Son of a Preacher Man, Sweet Caroline, Piano Man, etc...Looking back, they could have chosen much worse!

Surly likes this.
  13. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I love Legend of Billie Jean as well - just watched my blu-ray copy a couple months ago. "Fair is fair!"

I made a point earlier this year to finally watch '80s movies that I had never seen before. This included Top Gun (decent), Footloose (cheesy but OK), Cocktail (lame), and Street of Fire (AWFUL).

I haven't had much TV time of late. Sold our house in LA back in September (started preparing for the sale one month prior), moved my family back to my hometown of Cleveland, closing on a house this week, and started a new job last week. One of the items at the top of our "Buy for the new house" list is a new TV. Then I can find more '80s movies to finally "unearth."

14. Juggsnelson

Wow you are busy! Good luck with the relocation!

My wife and I were in Cleveland a few years back and we loved it. A bit desolate for a big city but we took in the Indians game every night and really enjoyed a few local hangouts. Great people.

I just watched Cocktail for the first time last year. Having seen the Kokomo video a thousand times with all of the bottle juggling behind the bar, I expected a fun, party movie. What I got was a pretty crappy movie that was depressing. I couldn't believe it. Not at all what I was expecting!

team2 and Surly like this.
  15. Juggsnelson

My wife says "Fair is Fair" all the time lol! This is a literal exchange....
    Me: "If we stop at your parents can I hit the record store on the way home?"
    Her: "Fair is fair!"

team2 and Surly like this.
  16. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

"Kokomo" is what kept me away from the movie this entire time. I can't think of a song I despise more than that one!
    ...and that movie gave us "Invincible," too!!!

Arkoffs and Juggsnelson like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

My favorite Pat song!

Surly likes this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I had "Ghost In The Machine" on a Nautilus cassette, CD, and vinyl. And, I think that cassette sounds the best.

19. Juggsnelson

I don't doubt it! I never sold off any of my vinyl but I did purge nearly all of my cassettes. I wish I had at least kept the releases that never appeared on CD.

Arkoffs, team2 and Putrifiers II like this.
  20. team2

team2 Forum Resident

That is a great soundtrack. "Shout To The Top" is fantastic. Glad it got included, since The Style Council never made it big in the U.S. (nor did The Jam, either!). "Lunatic Fringe" was played several times in that film, too.

ascot and Juggsnelson like this.
  21. Juggsnelson

I remember being surprised that "Gambler" wasn't a bigger hit. I saw the video quite a bit and even though the song isn't great, it still is Madonna.

team2 likes this.
  22. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Yeah, that video seemed to get as much airplay as "Crazy For You" at the time (while "Angel" went Top 10 without a video!).

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. team2

team2 Forum Resident

That's one of my all-time favorite albums! Very cool about that cassette...

Grant likes this.
  24. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Ever since The Sopranos finale, I always get an eerie feeling when "Don't Stop Believin'" comes over the sound system whenever I'm in a restaurant or bar, LOL!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I remember not being thrilled with Cocktail when I rented the VHS new in 1988-'89. My funniest memory about that film was Dennis Miller reporting on SNL Weekend Update that two bartenders were suing each other over who really taught Tom Cruise his moves in Cocktail. Miller retorted, "Winner of the lawsuit will be awarded with a life!!"

Surly and Arkoffs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.