So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Regarding Don Henley's 80s synth tunes, they were great then and now. Also continue to be an inspiration to current artists. Taylor Swift's Style from 1989 pretty reminiscent of Henley's Boys of Summer, at least to my ears.

Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It would take me longer to dig my45's out of my attic than it would take to play them..

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Interesting, because I was one of the ones who got the message. And I don't always even really pay attention to lyrics. For me, vocals tend to be another instrument in the aural tapestry. The music has always been more important to me, even though I know that's highly unusual. But I understood the point of this one. And guess what else? I don't even like Don Henley, but I like this song!

Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

The Herd- From the Underworld/Sweet William. UK ISSUE
    This hit #6 in the UK in 1967. A young Peter Frampton features on lead vocals and guitar here. A catchy vocal melody is offset by some nice work on the bass and by the George Martin-esque horn section.
    [​IMG]

5. Juggsnelson

The Herd- Paradise List/Come on, Believe Me. UK ISSUE
    I was not prepared for the orchestral onslaught that started this track. This is a bit of baroque pop sliced with psychedelic choral accompaniment.....and then it segues into 1920's burlesque! No hints of Framptons future guitar heroics evident here!

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Herman's Hermits-Something's Happening/Little Miss Sorrow Child of Tomorrow
    This hit #6 in the UK in 1969 and was produced by Mickie Most and arranged by a certain John Paul Jones. A typically catchy pop tune about a spawning love affair from these guys.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and greelywinger like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Patrick Hernandez-Born to Be Alive/Too Many People
    This Frenchman had a huge international hit with this disco smash, reaching #10 UK and #16 USA in 1979. This is undeniably mind haunting for hours on end....impossible to shake until some other ear candy takes its place. All the usual disco suspects are in attendance....insistent high hat play, a multi-octave pulsating bass line, sweltering horns, lyrics about living in the moment.....as a bass player, I marvel at how integral the instrument was to these types of songs. Played at almost every wedding I attend and it never fails to get the floor moving.
    [​IMG]

8. Juggsnelson

Howard Hewett- Strange Relationship/Let's Try It All Over Again
    This tune by the former Shalamar lead man never crossed over to the pop charts...even with the incomparable Lynn Davis assisting in background vocals. The issue was most likely the over repetitive chorus...it is never ending! A shame since The production has the 45 sounding great!
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Madonna auditioned as one of Patrick Hernandez's dancers but the guys giving the audition said she had more talent in her little finger than in Hernandez's who body and encouraged her to go solo.

10. Juggsnelson

Kevin Hewick- Feathering the Best/'Neath Dancing Waves
    UK ISSUE
    Kevin did a great EP with The Sound....if you don't own any of The Sound, there is a fantastic multi disc set out there right now for cheap....pick it up! This track sounds like something you would see performed as a one man stream of consciousness poetry bit in The Village. That's not a knock as it does captivate the listener....it just doesn't bear repeated listens.
    [​IMG]

11. Juggsnelson

Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods-Billy Don't Be a Hero/Don't Ever Look Back
    A UK #1 for Paper Lace and Billy and crew had a USA #1 with this rendition. Oft told take if a guy enlisting in the Army, dying heroically, and the pain suffered by his family....his girlfriend in this example, who tosses away the death notice. The beginning of the track harkens back to old time war tunes via the snare and flute patterns. I'm reminded of Snoopy VS. The Red Baron a bit with the drum and bass parts.
    [​IMG]

12. Juggsnelson

They were right! And Hernandez probably also agreed as this was his one stab into recording music I believe.

aseriesofsneaks and Mylene like this.
  13. Juggsnelson

Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods-Who Do You Think You Are/Fool's Way of Lovin'
    Written by two members of the band Jigsaw, this track hit #15 in the USA in 1974. This rings of Carole King at the outset....fine studio work here. The chorus is well done....it could have been a bigger hit for sure.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot, Grant and Mr Bass like this.
  14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Saint Etienne charted with a note for note cover years later.

Mr Bass and Juggsnelson like this.
  15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Holy cow, I thought your 45s were confined to the 80s!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. Juggsnelson

Bertie Higgins-Key Largo/White Line Fever
    This slice of pop perfection hit #8 in the USA and #60 in the UK in 1982. I'll go ahead and say it....I love this song! Although referencing Bogey and Bacall's less than idealic romance from the movie Key Largo seems a bit strange to me! I dig Bernie's vocal and the smooth AC 80's sound which defined my childhood. I play this often and belt it out every time. The fact that Bernie now fancies himself as a bit of a singing pirate only makes me like it more! In an unrelated "Higgins" note, I have been obsessively watching Magnum PI lately.
    [​IMG]

team2 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Top ten hits of most decades I own....I have a ton of 60's and 70's soul too. The 80's is my most prevalent decade for sure though!

Grant and Fullbug like this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Juggs my friend the above was posted March 19 2015. The nursing home inches uhh saunters ever nearer.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Bertie Higgins-Just Another Day in Paradise/She's Gone to Live on the Mountain
    This hit #46 in the USA in 1982. Bertie is a bit of a poor man's Jimmy Buffett. Rum, The Keys, the beach, women, etc...
    This is pleasant enough and smooth as dark run combined with vanilla ice cream
    [​IMG]

20. Juggsnelson

I know! Too many great reissues, a new found love for jazz, and my wife dealing with a serious illness have cut into my 45 time. We are still here though, and that honestly makes me happy. I also didn't realize just how many Damn 45's I had!!!

21. Mr Bass

Oh I am so sorry. I know how much you enjoy going to concerts together. I pray she recovers fully soon.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Ovarian Cancer...out of the blue. And she's the health conscious one! She's a fighter and is doing very well. Thanks for the positive thoughts. They truly do help. Right after she was diagnosed we went to see Billy Ocean....he hugged and kissed her while singing our wedding song "Suddenly"....it made the surgery a couple days later easier for her to deal with. The power of music!

Bobby Buckshot and Grant like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Bertie Higgins-Tokyo Joe
    PROMO
    This single didn't chart. The intro is very reminiscent of Key Largo....except the story takes place in Japan. I like it but I love Key Largo so take it with a grain of salt.
    [​IMG]

24. Mr Bass

Some of these issues are more genetically influenced than others. Oh man, this is sad to hear. I am glad that the surgery was successful and I pray for continuing good news. I won't mention the 45 alphabet again at least until I get wheeled into the nursing home. Then I'll give a shout out - AAARRGGHHHH cough wheeze.

Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  25. Juggsnelson

I love you keeping on my toes....it has been a long time!!!! I just never knew I had so many 45's! I was misguided in my timeline well before she got sick. My wife is a tough cookie and we have THE GREATEST program going here for her illness. I don't doubt her recovery. Do I doubt me reaching the letter Z.....maybe....

Mylene likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.