So I finally bit the bullet on a VPI 16.5 RCM after years of hand cleaning...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Piggybacking on this thread as my VPI 16.5 arrived over the weekend and I just cleaned two records. I have a few questions:
    • The MoFi felt brush -- is it OK to use this with both the cleaning liquid and wash, or is it necessary to have separate brushes?
    • How do you clean/dry the brush?
    • Having only cleaned two albums, I don't see that any cleaning fluid has made its way out of the tube. Is this normal?
    • Lastly, is it OK to take the record straight from the VPI to my table, or is it customary to let it air dry for a bit before playing? Two full rotations with the VPI's vacuum seems to sufficiently dry the record
    I will say that the first album I washed was one that I recognize as having a lot of surface noise. It sounds significantly better post-cleaning. The vacuum is also way less noisy than reviews led me to believe. Really happy with the purchase thus far!

2. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

So, here's my take. First, mine came with 5 (yes 5!) disk doctor brushes. They are better in my opinion than the mofi brush but pricier. But you only have to buy them once and then get replacement pads, just like mofi
    Second, I use one brush for the disk doctor solution - soak the pad with solution and brush it on about 4-5 revs, sometimes I move it back and forth but lightly. Then the other brush is distilled water only - I just drop the water on the album and use the brush to move it around. I do vacuum before the distilled water part. Then vacuum up the water and it again with water (just me, not everyone does). And only let it vacuum for 2 revolutions.
    Third - you won't see any crap coming out of the tube until you do a few records and even then only a little will accumulate.
    Fourth - 2 revs is enough to dry it completely on my machine and mine is an older unit.
    Fifth - as for cleaning, i just run distilled water over the brushes every once in awhile and brush them with a clean toothbrush.

macster and farewelltransmission like this.
  3. farewelltransmission

Thanks for the info!

McGuy likes this.
  4. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

This is a great tip! Just wondering if you've noticed any difference in the removal of solution at the inner and outer edges (where there is no longer any pad).

If the primary purpose of the pads is to keep the suction tube from touching the record (and maybe to provide a bit of scrubbing action), then the shorter strip should have no impact. As long as there's no line at the edges, I might try this, as I have a couple extra of these brush pads and I'm waiting on more Okki strip to come in (which might be a while now). I just don't have a backup if it doesn't work, so I'm feeling a little cautious.

5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

No issues what so ever. I just drop in tube in the suction port of the cleaner with an old lp on the platter, mark on the tube where the "normal" groves are located, adhere the strips to the tube. Pretty simple stuff.

If there is still a little liquid on the runout groves, I hold a Micro Fiber towel on just the runout while the platter is still turning.

Fractured and McGuy like this.
  6. McGuy

So, here's a fun tip, or just funny...I decided to try shoving the tube into a plastic container for drainage, no clamp on it obviously or it would defeat the purpose...clearly the plastic bottle was very thin as when I turned on the vacuum, it sucked all the air out of the bottle and crumpled it up! Made a hell of a racket...pretty funny though. So I would suggest either a glass bottle or some type of plastic container that has thicker walls...

Bill Hart likes this.
  7. <if the 16.5 still sounds like an industrial vacuum, I recommend a good set of protective headphones

8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

good test for vacuum though, eh?

FWIW, the fluid bottles for the Monks are little more than Mason jars (glass) with some special fittings plugged into the top that mate with the hoses. Easy enough to make. I would think there are some rigid thick walled plastics that would stand up to vacuum if you are worried about breakage, given that the bottle or jar would be exposed.

9. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I bought a 16.5 a few weeks ago and am still waiting to use it. I took it to my new house across the country (I've not moved in yet) and now I'm isolated and working from home hundreds of miles from it. My LPs and LP12 are there too so I can't even listen to dirty records!

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

That stinks

myles likes this.
  11. farewelltransmission

I’ve now cleaned about 30 records on my VPI and I still haven’t had any cleaning solution/ wash come out of the back tube. Is this odd? I have then tube elevated some, which I thought might’ve been a problem but even when I allow it to dangle to the ground there’s still nothing.

12. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

That’s pretty odd. Are you tilting the machine back to drain?

farewelltransmission likes this.
  13. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I usually do not see a lot of drainage unless I am doing an intensive cleaning session and clean a lot of records consecutively. I would think that it also depends on what type of solution you are using and or if you do a water only rinse clean. If I only clean a few records a week, I won't see much drainage out the back at all.

14. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

15. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I've noticed that if I'm not cleaning a good number of lp's, the heat generated by the motor/vacuum will evaporate some of the liquid.

16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

You have to tilt the machine back for it to drain.

farewelltransmission and myles like this.
  17. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

True, if you close the Drain Tube while vacuuming, this creates more suction, but doesn't drain. With the Drain Tube open, you will get less suction, but the Tube will drain by tilting the machine back a little.

I clean about 8-10 lp's with the Tube closed, then open the Tube and tilt back a bit for the tank to drain.

farewelltransmission and myles like this.
  18. farewelltransmission

Wow do I feel foolish! I swear I read the manual! I've been operating with the clamp off of the hose too. I just lifted and tilted the machine and a bunch of liquid poured out.... Glad to have figured it out before causing damage to the machine (or making a mess).Thanks, all, for the input.

Echoes Myron and mreeter like this.
  19. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

You have to keep the clamped closed otherwise if your waste bottle had fluid in it, the vacuum would pull it into the motor and ruin it.

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

That is what I was thinking. I always have the clamp on...did not know what these guys were taking about!

21. McGuy

christ, good point...wasn't thinking that way...was thinking just use a shortened tube so it doesn't go more than about halfway down.

22. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I`ve used a Record Doctor for 15 years or so with pretty good results using various solutions and scrubbing methods.

When I added a US cleaner it made a big improvement...

I can`t see how a VPI cleaner will ever top a good US cleaning all by itself

23. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Depends on what fluid you are using with both devices...the cleaning agent makes a big difference.

McGuy likes this.
  24. McGuy

I'm more than satisfied with the VPI - after a cleaning, if the record is decent of course, makes a phenomenal difference. I have never tried the US route and I know that that route is actually cheaper than buying a VPI RCM, so it's certainly worth a shot. But no need for me. And after a quick swipe with my static brush, as SD says, no static at all....

25. McGuy

Disk Doctor is my favourite at the moment...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.