So, i melted my first record with a Vinyl Flat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mrgopal, Mar 26, 2021.

1. mrgopal

mrgopal If you get bit Just hate the bite. Thread Starter

I had been starting with 2 hours but found that it took much longer to get some records flat. So I decided to start at 3 hours and that destroyed an original Thelonious Monk LP.
    Not sure if I just had some bad luck there. Have others out there melted records with the vinyl flat?

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

This happened to me too... I destroyed a copy of Seastones. :help:

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  3. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

When I first started testing this process I learned the little secrets by sacrificing such albums as 1972 Polka Hits , Ronco Dance Party, and other 50 cent specials from garage sales.

I’ve got it down pretty good now, and moving into slightly more valuable albums like Frampton Comes Alive.

Old Rusty, fish, qwerty and 27 others like this.
  4. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

Are you using the Groove Pouch? or the oven method?

SteevG and dkmonroe like this.
  5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yeah. Destroyed a Robert Ludwig mastered copy of Billy Joel’s The Stranger several years ago. It was a bit warped, but otherwise very clean. Should have left well enough alone. Fortunately I have another copy, but I was not pleased.

My mistake was not just the duration, but also leaving the pouch on a carpet, which presumably increased the temperature inside. I previously would leave it on a hard surface or elevate it off the carpet without issue.

6. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

I have the pouch.
    Flattened many many Lps.
    Never had a issue. I can set temp , low,med,high.
    Sorry to hear about your lp.
    I’m sure it’s frustrating and you just never know.
    The pouch and temp settings are very helpful to me.

Syr1990 and mrgopal like this.
  7. mrgopal

How long did you leave it in there? And how long do you usually bake your warped LPs to start? I have gone back to 2 hours and then I move up in 20 minute increments
    Im using the Groovy Pouch

8. mrgopal

I have the latest version. Only one setting now

9. Vinyldude63

Vinyldude63 Forum Resident

The only record I ever ruined was the one I left overnight (totally forgot about it). I use the pouch on the low setting for 3 hours. The key is to leave it in the flat (out of the pouch) for a day or two, so it properly cools.

hi_watt, jusbe and GentleSenator like this.
  10. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Wonder why they went to one setting? Are they trying to save a nickel?
    That would lend itself to lots of potential mistakes.

Mike from NYC and hi_watt like this.
  11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'd "cooked" a few by now, I'd say at least six. Some rare old Brazilian pressings - still kicking myself. I'm done with the heat pouch. Now I leave an LP in the press for three weeks on each side - better safe than sorry.

TSWisla likes this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what do you mean by "original"? are we talking 50s/60s vinyl? iirc that's a whole different ballgame than trying to flatten today's vinyl. so is 70s oil crisis junk.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The whole concept of the Vinyl Flat and non precise control of heat tells me to avoid based on experience of using an oven to flatten LPS. Certainly wouldn't risk anything of value. An Orbe DF01 would be more appropriate but then you need to verify it is a model that will cope with all thicknesses of LP. I have managed to reduce warps by leaving in my Michell Orb clamp for a couple of nights. Other records have improved with tight storage over a period of time (often years).

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  14. mrgopal

1971 pressing

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

obviously using a vinyl flat is an imperfect and imprecise operation. the idea behind it is to be able to salvage mildly to moderately warped records. ya know, make 'em playable. of course there is an inherent risk. if you have hardware that can compensate it may not be worth trying to flatten. if you don't or the warp is severe enough, it's probably worth a try.

superstar19 likes this.
  16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

How do you know when you’ve baked a record too long in the Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch? I managed to dramatically straighten a potato chip-looking record a couple of days ago. Had it on “high” for 2.5 hours. Then left it in the Vinyl Flat to cool for two days. It’s very straight now. Can you tell it’s damaged by looking? I don’t want to accidentally mess up my stylus by playing damaged grooves.

johnnyb1964 likes this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

if you see anything that looks like an orange peel, do not play it.

honestly the best way to check is to toss it on the TT. i usually start on a spot where i recall the warp being most pronounced prior to the flattening.

just flattened a regular 140 slab of red vinyl on friday night. just under 2 hours on "medium". was quite dished with no audible issues. came out perfectly flat and sounding the same.

18. CBackley

Thanks! Dumb question, but what do you mean by “orange peel”? I’ve seen that reference a few times.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

just that: the surface will be bumpy and resemble the outer surface of an orange. a tell tale sign that you've overcooked.

hi_watt, jusbe and patient_ot like this.
  20. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

The very idea of placing vinyl in such heat makes me break out in hives. I'm considering buying an outer record flattening ring as an alternative. The prospect of melting a disc and then ruining a cartridge just sounds insane. The outer ring weights seem to be very effective. Anyone tried one?

audiomixer likes this.
  21. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Yes - maybe best to practice this method on a few bargain bin LPs before trying it on something of value.

audiomixer likes this.
  22. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I use the groovy pouch and start at 1.5 or 2 hours and do 10-minute increases for each try. If I see the vinyl start to flatten a little, I'll either do the same amount of time again or if that doesn't work, increase by 5 minutes. It takes quite a bit of time for each record, but so far, so good.

JonnyMo, matrix-6 and superstar19 like this.
  23. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

You can. When the record is "baked" the surface of the vinyl will look flat and "glossy". If you play it, it will be very noisy - lots of hiss.

24. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Yes, I use a periphery ring clamp and it works great to flatten edge warps on records. I have a Vinyl Flat but if the periphery ring clamp works to flatten it I do not use the VF.

FJC1966, hi_watt and dwilpower like this.
  25. CBackley

Crap. I’ve used the Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch successfully several times, but destroyed my first record today. It was LP 1 of 5 from the very rare Sinatra box set The Capitol Years. The record was still massively warped after a few rounds of flattening. I turned up the heat and put it in for longer. It came out none the flatter BUT with noticeable splotches of “orange peel” on both sides. This stings. A lot.