So It 's Christmas...So It's Time for ' It's A Wonderful Life '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Him praying at the bar is some of the best acting I think I've ever seen.

Luke The Drifter, BNell, SRC and 3 others like this.
  2. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It was Harvey that made me realize James Stewart was my favorite actor, but it was that scene that made me realize he was the best actor.

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

I hadn't seen it until about a year a ago. I'm not a fan; it makes A Christmas Carol seem plausible.

4. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Doesn't that all lead to Mary wearing the bathrobe walking back from the dance?

Pride Of The Yankees has a even more gratuitous dance scene. I think people back in the day enjoyed watching other people dance. It was an "action" scene in an era without many special effects. Dancing was a staple on TV variety shows for many years.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

6. I enjoy it. Classic.

7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

When Harry arrives on the train with his new wife after George has been "holding the bag" at the Savings & Loan for years, Jimmy Stewart's eyes tell you all you need to know about how he feels. Superb, subtle acting.

8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Watch it every Christmas Eve while waiting for Santa Claus.

Mr Potter's butler/henchman, the guy who never utters a word and just glares. Was he the inspiration for Smithers in the Simpsons?

9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Carl Switzer. He's great in another of my Christmas Favorites with Bing Crosby: Going My Way.

Alan G. likes this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

This was just on NBC a few days ago.

11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Did you watch it?
    Every times someone watches ' It's A Wonderful Life ' an angel gets his wings.

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

A classic! But I can't stand watching it with commercial interruptions, which seems totally against the spirit of the thing. I pull out my old DVD once a year, and still shed a few tears! My wife can't make it through the whole thing without falling asleep, tho. I guess it might feel longish to some viewers!

13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

A life black and white
    The angel held a drama
    Curtain fell to smiles

14. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I don’t love the ending where Potter doesn’t get his comeuppance. Is it bad that I secretly like the SNL version, where they break into his office and beat the crap out of him?

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Dear God! A Haiku!

unclefred likes this.
  16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Men like that almost never do.

KeninDC likes this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

When Potter found out George wasn' t going to be going to jail and the Savings & Loan would still be thriving , he had a massive coronary and kicked the bucket.
    Nobody went to his funeral. Not even that creepy valet he had.

Cokelike- likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

No.

19. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

That's part of the appeal to me. The lack of comeuppance was actually quite controversial back in 1946. Due to industry censorship practices (i.e., The Hays Code), movies were not allowed to show people "getting away with" a crime. You always had to have some sort of "happy ending" where all the bad guys received their proper punishment, which tended to make movies feel sanitized and fake.

So, when IAWL depicted Potter as being unremorseful and unpunished, it added a touch of reality to the ending.

To me, this is part of the reason why the film still resonates with viewers 73 years after it was released.

KeninDC likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

watching this tomorrow! it's always like the first time for me...after hundreds.

21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It is in my top 5 films of all time, and challenges for the top spot. I could interject many moments here, but one oft overlooked is one of the most powerful introductions to any film. You here prayers being offered, and do not know what to make of it. Then you hear Janie's prayer:

"Please God, something's the matter with Daddy."

22. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It is a key point that Capra fought for. More often than not in this world, the powerful do not get their comeuppance.

Potter has his lonely wealth and owns most of the town, but George is a far richer man.

23. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

You're preaching to the choir brother,one of the all time favorite x-mas movies.

24. G E

G E Senior Member

If you like IaWL then check out “Remember the Night” with Barbara Stanwyck and FredMacMurray. don’t read anything about it just watch it.

This was recently released on Blu Ray and it looks great.

and if you like double features watch Double Indemnity with the same pair of actors... but an altogether different vibe and nothing to do with Christmas. Just imagine MacMurray’s character has soured on life after the earlier show and now sells insurance....

25. Wildest cat from montana

It" s Christmas Eve and guess what's on TV?
    Even though I have a copy i' m watching it commercials and all.
    Merry Christmas , all!

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.