So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

So you sit in a parked car and listen to music a lot? Of course you don’t. You drive because you have things to do and people to see. The car is not awful (mine definitely isn’t) but it ain’t audiophile.

Ed

McLover and Robsonschoice like this.
  2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Even the quietest cars are too noisy to really allow for critical detailed listening, that's especially true in the bass and at the soft end of the dynamic scale where road noise masks enormous amouts of musical information. And the acoustic space really doesn't create a you-are-there illusion that home hifi can deliver. It's not really a great critical listening environment.

nosliw and Nostaljack like this.
  3. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Yes from what the reviews have been. Here’s a good example:

4. Stereosound

Someone might, who are we to judge?

5. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Judge, Jury, and Executioner! Are you kidding?! :laugh:

Nostaljack likes this.
  6. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

The obtuseness of this... LOL!!

Ed

Stereosound likes this.
  7. Stereosound

Should of stuck with the cassette:

8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

or 8-Track

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do.

389 Tripower likes this.
  10. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

My previous car, a 2013 Honda CRV had an input jack which allowed me to enjoy my Pono player. My newer 2018 Honda CRV has no such input so I'm no longer able to use my Pono. FRUSTRATING!!!

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

from what i understand some of the high end chevy trucks and the sinfully over-priced chevy impala have an option to purchase a CD player on the 2020 models.

12. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Hmmm, I just assumed most vehicles would continue to support an aux. input. Fortunately, there are a number of devices under $30 that will transmit your DAP by Bluetooth.

I have a (non-Bluetooth) FiiO player that I carry my CD collection around on is how I listen to 'CDs' in my vehicle.

13. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

and yet, for a lot of people it's the place were the get to listen to music

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Sure. I listen to music in my car every day and I enjoy it. And my car audio system is pretty decent. But it doesn't deliver the kind of detail and focus and imaging and the kind of transporting you-are-there quality that I get in my home listening room. And when I'm driving, even though my interior cabin is pretty quiet, it tough to do "critical listening" given the noise masking of detail.

Grant and Nostaljack like this.
  15. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

The point I’m trying yo make is that listening on a good home system is not an option for everyone, not that a car is a substitute for a hifi rig.

16. siebrand

siebrand music lover

My brother bought a VOLKSWAGEN t-roc.
    I don't like rhat car, he does. OK...
    In the glove box he has a CD player like this one.
    Nice solution, I think

vwestlife likes this.
  17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

My cd player is shot. Luckily, I can still play my iPod, as there is a stereo mini jack input inside the center console.

18. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

You can get a CD player in most Lexus vehicles but in some you have to stipulate it. I have heard the Mark Levinson system in them is extraordinary. These models also have CD according to one website.

2019 Acura ILX
    2019 & 2020 Acura TLX
    2019 Audi A3 - in the glove box
    2019 & 2020 BMW 2-Series
    2019 Honda HR-V
    2019 Infiniti Q50
    2019 Mercedes CLA
    2019 Nissan Frontier
    2019 Nissan Rogue Sport
    2019 & 2020 Nissan Z
    2019 Toyota Prius
    2019 Volkswagen Beetle
    2019 Volkswagen Jetta (SEL only!) - In the glove box
    2019 Volkswagen Passat

19. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Considering how long Infiniti offered a cassette deck, I suspect they’ll have CD players for a while yet, if the brand can hang in there.

uzn007 likes this.
  20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Can hang in there? Guess you don't follow auto industry that close. Anyway, Japaneses manufacturers have also been slow to change things like their dash, electronics, ect. They ride them out and then a little longer. If I remember right, Lexus still offered a cassette not so many years ago.

21. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I don’t follow the auto industry at all. Why would Infiniti sales be down 43% in September 2019 as compared to 2018? Realizing I can Google it, perhaps I will now. I see a cassette was in a Lexus until 2010.

Infiniti Sales Slump Leaves Brand Stumped

Infiniti Is Getting Absolutely Creamed

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    uzn007 likes this.
  22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

2019-20 Acura TLX, good to know. My 2007 Acura TL has a 6CD changer built in with a cassette player, real old school. Love it, keeping it.

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

That 04-08 edition of the TL had the best system of any car I’ve owned. It included the Scheiner DVD Audio capability as well.

JohnG likes this.
  24. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

That's what I do. 8,000 of my favorite songs set to shuffle. It's like having my own radio station that only plays songs I like, never bothers me with stupid commercials, and never loses signal or gets static-y

I never want to go back.

25. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

"First off, my Mini Cooper doesn't seem to recognize FLAC files, only mp3's. "

Try all the other lossless formats. ALAC, WMA, WAV, etc... Here's a good way to do that:

1. Rip a bunch of songs from a disc
    2. Encode each one to a different format
    3. Make a list of what song is ripped to what format
    4. Put the drive in the car and let it play
    5. Make a note of which songs play and which don't
    6. Compare to the encoding list
    7. Viola, you now know exactly what formats your car player will recognize.

"Next, the last thumb drive I played in the Oppo, only recognizes about 6 regular tracks...and the rest are Christmas songs, from a folder named "playlist", in a folder named "Oppo Media"...whch I did not place there. :crazy:"

Yes, anything you play from thumb drive through a an Oppo gets re-encoded to specs their player can actually play. Those wacky kids and their wanting things to work....

"Another one has about 150 mp3's on it...but will only play the first 40 or so. :eek:"

Sounds like an encoding problem, like the player cannot recognize the encoding on some of them, like VBA vs CBR? Here's what I suggest...

1. Rip a bunch of songs from a disc
    2. Encode each one to a different MP3 setting (VBR, CBR, 128, 256, etc)
    3. Make a list of what song is ripped to what setting
    4. Put the drive in the player and let it play
    5. Make a note of which songs play and which don't
    6. Compare to the encoding list
    7. Viola, you now know exactly what formats your player will recognize.
    It also sounds like you may have an issue with the tagging of the files.

'And, another one has regular and Christmas files in it, with the Christmas ones intentionally-separated into a separate "Xmas" folder...but it still plays all the tracks, as if they're all in the same location, still alphabetically! :faint:"

That's how most of these non-interface music players do it. As I've been told, "that's what playlists are for."
    "And, yes...nobody at the dealership can tell me ANYthing about the why, the what...or, even where they can find any answers. :doh: Nobody has trained anybody to know anything about one of the most-used components in their own product...except how to engage the SIRIUS/XM function. "

That's because the sound system is qute literally the absolute last reason anybody would buy a car. Literally, everything else about a vehicle takes priority over that. For 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of the car-buying public.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.