So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yes, it’s one big reason I’ve kept the car all these years plus the fact I only have 79000 miles on it and it still looks brand new.
    Love that I have so many options to play music. The only downside is the lack of Bluetooth.
    I do enjoy playing DVDA’s.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Yes. Many people want to downplay playing DVD&DVD-A in a car but I love it as they sound GREAT!

3. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Oh man, and here I was thinking that the absolute last reason anybody would buy a car was the gasket material used in the motor oil filler cap. You must be on to something, though...that would certainly explain why manufacturers have been decontenting car audio systems at such a stunning pace. Me? I'd rather not be driving an iPhone, thank you very much.

uzn007 likes this.
  4. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

How much driving do you do? That's a lot of money (and a lot of bad reviews) to risk on something like that IMO.

If I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd probably get an aftermarket CD player installed in the dashboard (assuming you can still do that). If I wanted to go on the cheap, I'd get a Discman and plug it into the aux port. In real life, I transitioned to MP3 for car listening about 15 years ago (although my Mazda still has a CD player and I do like using it to listen to discs that I haven't ripped, and often, haven't heard in a long time).

Not particularly useful advice, I know, but I would again say that the price and the reviews on that unit make me very wary.

6. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I'm about to get a new car in the next few days once it arrives at the dealership, and it doesn't have a CD player. Would I like the option, just in case? Sure. Do I care? Nope. Muzecast has all of my music available from my home computer that streams to my car in lossless format. There is no need for anything else!

What is sort of freaky is that now between my car and my house, I literally have once place to play CDs - my main PC, which I use to rip my music. And I have a Blu-Ray external drive when I want to rip items as well. That's it. Oh wait, my clunker computer in my garage that streams music might have one too. :)

7. shokhead

Me, I wouldn't put an after market player in my new car's dash. I would if it was from Mazda and goes right in and looks like it belongs. One may, may be able to just add a changer to glovebox on in the back if the OEM would have to have to inputs and controls already. All IMO of course.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

My 2006 Mustang GT just hit 100,000 kms after 13 years. That’s 60,000 miles and it will outlast me:cheers:

[​IMG]

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the 2019 and 2020 nissan murano and rogue all have CD players built into the dash, and some come with a very very nice bose sound system.

the high end cars (benz and bmw) have then too,.

can't get one even if you want one in a ford, only chevy impala's with the premium package and the very big silverados have them

impossible to get on any chrysler including jeep's.

10. shokhead

Fords use a pretty nice Sony system.

11. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

get a brand new iPod—

389 Tripower likes this.
  12. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  13. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

My new Corvette does not have a CD player either. At first, I was dissapointed. Then the thought hit me that I can put what songs I want on a few USB drives and don't have to carry around a huge case full of CDs. It's similar to the complilation tapes I would make years ago for the car, only better SQ. One less mechanism to break and sounds good too. My last Caddy had a DVD-Audio player which I thought was pretty cool, but I only had a few of those and you don't really benefit from the increased dynamic range you get with high resolution formats in a car environment. It's just too noisy. Yes-even in a Cadillac. High rate MP3 or WMA format is all that is needed for a listening in a car. (YMMV)

Kyhl likes this.
  14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

2019 Lexus RX has CD player. I don’t know about 2020.

15. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I've gotten where I just buy the car with the cheapest or no sound system, and then put it in myself.
    I tend to not like the systems the cars come with, especially since some use weird ohm speakers and such.
    I will have a cd player and amp with a HD radio with good speakers.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  16. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Awesome. Much better that way.

That said, in order to get CarPlay in a BMW you need navigation, so they'll just raise the price from $3,500 to $3,800 on that unused option and we all wind up in the same place.

17. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

I used to have a ‘13 Altima SL. Loved the Bose sound system it had. Too bad the CVT tranny blew at 60k miles.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ALL 2020 nissan rogue's and murano's still come with a CD player standard, some have the bose audio system that includes 9 speakers/2 sub-woofers. (as did the 2019 and all those before them.

19. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Dudes, get a Discman. Or maybe a gimbal mounted TT. Be sure to tape a penny on the head shell!

20. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

Exactly. I got in my car after work yesterday, turned on some music, and decompressed for a few minutes. Then I googled "liquor stores near me". Bad week, don't judge me. :laugh:

Kyhl and uzn007 like this.
  21. shokhead

I'm only judging going to a liquor store for booze?:laugh:

22. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

My 2018 Nissan Frontier has a modest factory system that had a cd player, plus of course bluetooth and aux jack. I replaced the whole setup with a custom system anyway One reason I got the Frontier is that, unlike my wife's Honda CR-V, the audio system isn't integrated into everything else in the car.

I hit a deer with that truck and the insurance company totaled it. Next week I'm getting a 2019 Frontier, now without a cd player. I don;t care, I'm swapping the other system on anyway.

I'm more annoyed by the loss of the stick shift. This new truck is literally one of the last six manual transmission Frontiers to ever be sold in the U.S., and I figure I'm paying about $5k over what an comparable auto goes for to have it.

23. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Not for me. It's the first priority for me. Same with my two homes. I only bought them because they had suitable sound rooms and none of the other houses I looked at did. Turns out I was right in both cases. In my last house, visiting engineers would often ask me who designed the room? How would I know. I just selected the house because I knew how it would sound.

It took me a full year to decide on my Lexus with the Levinson system. I knew from the start that I could live with the system, but I really didn't like the car nearly as much as some others with sound systems I couldn't live with. The car salespeople thought I was absolutely nuts.

It was the same with my previous car, which was a 97 Grand Caravan. That time it took me less than a minute to realize that I could live with the Infinity system it came with, though it was a top of the line model with upgraded audio. The only complaint was too much bass response when it was set flat, but when I dropped it about 6db it was nearly perfect for my needs.

Of course that was mainly a work vehicle, so I wasn't quite as picky as I was with the Lexus. How it handled was not as important as it's utility value. With the Lexus, I vastly preferred the handling of other cars, although with inferior sound systems. I really wanted another BMW but couldn't deal with their HK system.

I guess that makes me one in a million. LOL. But seriously, I already suspected that.

Kyhl and jay.dee like this.
  24. shokhead

100% BMW should be ashamed of offering that HK system. Lexus Levinson system is pretty sweet. I'm happy enough with my Bang & Olufsen system.

Doug Sclar likes this.
  25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I drive a 2002 Lexus LX470 (bought used in 2009). The Mark Levinson system has a cassette player, a CD changer, and no inputs (3.5 or USB. Installing those would be a nightmare in this integrated console/screen system so I have made do for the past 4 years with a Flexsmart BT/FM transmitter. To say that it works fair is a complement. It picks up interference and so have the other FM transmitters I've tried. A shame as the system sounds pretty good and the vehicle only has 124k miles on it. I have no intention of replacing the LX as it is such a solid 4x4 which I like having here in Idaho. I've not been able to come up with a solution to being able to use my phone as a source that's truly satisfying due to this audible interference at volume. A local installer told me it was the nature of the beast.

I also have a 2002 Ford Econoline camping van (made by Pleasure Way in Canada). It had the standard dash mount Ford radio which I had removed and replaced with a Kenwood that has all the proper inputs. PITA to use even though it sounds great. Tunes are necessary on road trips. But when I'm stopped for the night, I just use a small BT speaker and my phone to make sure I don't run the engine battery down. But camping requires quiet in my world so the BT speaker (a little stereo Anker) is perfect for late night jazz and a nice Cabernet in the middle of nowhere (we have lots of dispersed camping in the west).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.