So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Could be. It’s not unheard of around here. My wife’s previous car won’t eject the CDR that is in there, regardless of weather, though. Her mother now drives that car, and I get a kick out of picturing her driving around listening to the last New Order album on repeat...

JeffMo likes this.
  2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Most CD players have a manual eject. It's usually a tiny hole that you can stick a paper clip or needle or something in to eject the disc. Yours may not, but it's worth looking.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This is what I do too, and the variety is great on road trips!

gillcup likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

She's probably thinking "where's Hooky??" :laugh:

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

In reality, she’s just listening to public radio and not touching the CD button, but it’s a fun thought.

wrappedinsky and JeffMo like this.
  6. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

I do not miss carrying CD’s and Cassettes in the car.
    I’ve got a ‘17 Silverado, and the only time I ever used the CD player was when I would buy a new CD at B&N, to play it on the way home.

All of the stores are downsizing their CD selections considerably now. So if I want a CD for a physical “master” I just find them online.

For the vehicle, My iPod has been the CD replacement since around ‘10. I do have SiriusXM, and I like the variety, and I like some of the DJ’s. This new year I’m trying out both Spotify and Tidal. The virtually unlimited selection is attractive. The Tidal Hi-Fi / Masters lossless upgrade is fantastic! The free bitrate level on Spotify just didn’t cut it for me, and I didn’t want to stop at 320. So I figured if im gonna pay to stream - go lossless.

...and yes I can hear differences in SQ based on different sreaming bitrates on my Trucks system, and in the house. The Silverado cab is very quiet.

Geez - Now I gotta buy a good DAC for the home, but for now the Audioengine Bluetooth converter is sounding very nice!

Big Blue and MackKnife like this.
  7. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Sorry if it`s already been addressed, I didn`t read all 27 pages.
    I copy my albums to CD to play in my car.

My car is a '17 Accord Hybrid that has a factory CD player.
    If I get a new one, there`s no cd player available.

What`s the best way to copy cd`s sound quality wise to use in a new car with no cd player ??

8. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

This may have been mentioned previously in the thread (not reading through 27 pages!) but my 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X was available with a Rockford Fosgate system complete with subwoofer and CD player. Sounds great for a factory system too!

Dennis Metz and mds like this.
  9. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

10. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Virtually any other digital carrier. CD's aren't that special; they're just digital mediums with numbers that translate to sound. ALAC and FLAC do the job nicely.

Ed

11. Nostaljack

In my car (I'll spare you the brag) from 2018, I've got one but I absolutely never use it. I just use the Bluetooth from my iPhone Max streaming my own music. The sound is astonishing for a moving vehicle but even if it wasn't, it'd be fine. It's a car.

Ed

12. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I get that about CD`s, I`m 99% vinyl but I have no other way to copy special to me vinyl.

So I take a CD I burned and convert it to ALAC/FLAC, (I`ve never messed with either, never had a need to until now I guess).
    Which sounds better between the two ?

13. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

I don't know if there's a "best" way as long as you rip the original CDs to lossless and have some digital transport for the files. I bought an unlocked iPhone 7 which I load up with ALAC files to play through the CarPlay interface. In my case it was the only lossless option because my factory stereo has no AUX port and only decodes MP3 and WMA.

14. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

That's an audiophile can of worms, but both are lossless so it really shouldn't make any difference. Add in road noise and it REALLY shouldn't make any difference. My guess would be that more factory stereos can decode FLAC than ALAC if you are going to be using a flash drive as a transport.

Limopard likes this.
  15. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

For my ears 320k MP3 is more than good enough in a car, and is compatible with a lot more devices than either FLAC or ALAC.

SamS and Nostaljack like this.
  16. Nostaljack

It honestly doesn't matter in any environment. Do you not have a phone you could put content into? As has already been said, you wouldn't notice most MP3 encodings in a moving vehicle.

Ed

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

It’s to the point where both formats will play.

18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Seems most late model vehicles with factory audio system will either accomodate a usb or analog connection to a cell phone running a music app of some sort. I run iTunes and, with unlimited data rate from my carrier, I can listen to music in the cloud non stop. It sounds as good as CD and is more convenient. At any rate, when I buy a CD these days I rip it to iTunes on my PC, which automatically downloads it to my iPhone, allowing me to listen to music out-of-home without dragging around a CD pouch to feed whatever CD Player might be handy.

Nostaljack likes this.
  19. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

You're really missing out.

uzn007 likes this.
  20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

In your opinion

shokhead likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The best way is to walk into every dealership in town in a $400 suit, talk about your last fleet purchase, test-drive their most expensive vehicles, ask to see the manager...and then tell him, in front of the sales staff (for extra embarassment), there was no CD player in the car, what the **** were they thinking, and tell them you're going down to their competitors' place to find a car your wife can play her CD's in.

Keep doing this over and over, until it sinks in.

Dok and uzn007 like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

All I can say there is a lot for having an older car. ;)

Now wot are these CD things?

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Since I don't play music from a phone{seems crazy as watching tv shows on a phone but I get it I guess} I need CDs in my car thank you very much.

24. Nearys Epiphany

Nearys Epiphany Forum Resident

I'm sad to see CD players have disappeared from new cars. Not because of losing the ability to play CDs, but because the CD slot is an excellent place to use a mounting mechanism to hold my cell phone.

25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I have a 2019 Colorado and no one offers a compatible CD player.
    I have seen these portable CD players that have the ability to wirelessly play through compatible Bluetooth speakers.
    My question is, do you think that this portable CD player can also play through my truck radio like my phone does?

Something like this. I have searched but I can't find any answers if this will work though a car radio.
    https://www.amazon.com/GPX-PCB319B-Portable-Bluetooth-Earbuds/dp/B07RD1PC5Y

Last edited: May 22, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.