So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

NPR reported that Ford is planning on replacing CD players in all future models, instead opting for a screen that allows drivers to access streaming services and satellite radio behemoth SiriusXM. ... According to research firm IHS Automotive , 46% of cars sold in the U.S. won't have CD players by 2021.

Eight track went away, cassette went away and I'm afraid CDs will. I adjusted to all but cd will by far be the hardest at least for me. I just don't stream music.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. noway

noway Forum Resident

Automakers have been "in bed" (partnering) with the streaming companies for years now and over time that relationship has been more fruitful with respect to income from audio software/hardware than the relationship between the automakers and you. They are heavily invested and committed to making sure part of the sale is ongoing subscriptions so they can suck money out of you long after you bought the vehicle. Nothing gets changed unless the new makes more money than the old. Soon they will be crying poor again and asking for government bailouts where your tax dollars will be going to further their agenda. Crooked from the top down.

CDV and Dennis Metz like this.
  3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

My favorite post of the thread. Back in the day I payed little attention to the audio system in cars I was buying because I knew I'd be upgrading as soon as I got around to it. On one 80's Chevy, I bought what was called a "Radio accommodation package" which left a hole in the dash but had the cabling to install an aftermarket radio. Now what little music system that exists is intertwined with things needed for the operation of the vehicle and aftermarket installs are extremely difficult or impossible. For those who are satisfied to use their phone as the audio system that's fine. I would like more choices.

4. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

You are obviously in a very small minority of people that choose not to own a cell phone. You can't possibly expect car companies to cater to such a small segment of people. You are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion shows that you are just out of touch with reality. For one you do not need a cell phone to listen to your music in a new car, just load up a USB stick with tunes and go. No subscriptions, no fees, cost - $10-$30, will hold way more music than the amount of CD's you would keep in a car. You are fighting a no win battle. I do not go into a dealer and ask for money off a car because it wont play the cassettes I invested in years ago. It seems you are opposed to change and are basically a Luddite. Time will not stand still for you.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Fortunately I have taken the courteous initiative to reply to your concerns, each and every one of them...yesterday, the day before, the day before that, and yes, even previously...in this same thread you are now just hijacking and responding to over and over.

Again: I am not entertaining any more dialogue over subject I have expressed, clarified, repeated and responded courteously to every time the gripes come up that somehow I am not changing my position no matter how much you repeat it.

Get. yourself. past. this. Stop hijacking this thread, my contributions have already been discussed by people who made your position succinctly at the time.

For the third time, I apologize for all the grief caused by people not satisfied that I have a different opinion than they.

6. Dillydipper

Used to be, if you wanted to customize your own purchased dash entertainment aftermarket, all you needed to know was, DIN or Double-DIN. :shrug:

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Nope, but the USB port might provide power for a drive.

I'm now using a MS Surface Go 2 in my vehicles with a 5tb drive. The Surface Go has a USB-C port which is connected to a powered USB-C hub and I'm powering the hub with one of the USB ports in the dash.

Also on the powered hub is a Audioquest Cobalt dac which plugs into the Aux port, right next to the USB port. It works better than I expected and is a big improvement form my 8" WinBook tablets, since it's larger and more capable.

8. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Ok, you have made your choices, live with it and stop complaining, things are not going to change just for you. If you choose to live in the past, that's fine, just don't complain about it.

9. Dillydipper

Ignore File is to your right, please watch your head...

10. shokhead

I like the past
    Much simpler

11. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Not crooked, just smart business model. The music-consuming public has made it clear that it prefers streaming to physical media. Car manufacturers are just giving the people what they want.

PhilBiker and subzro like this.
  12. shokhead

Most people but not all people

TimM likes this.
  13. Johnny Action

It’s never “all” for anything. You know that.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This is for @Dillydipper....still torture testing my FiiO M6...today it was driving around in the car.

BT working fine, no data plan needed. And it's not a phone.

[​IMG]

15. Dillydipper

You get that I'm done talking about this, right...? :wave:

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Apologies, I won't "@" you again on this particular topic then.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I honestly thought the percentages were higher already (for the lack of a CD player).

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Yes, because you keep telling us.

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm sure he won't post again here and be true to his word.

Else I can keep talking about the M6. Which is not a phone.

20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Id rather keep you un ignored. I need the humor in my life these days.

PhilBiker likes this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No...way.

22. shokhead

Yes but many will make it sound like all and you know that, right?

23. Johnny Action

Who’s on first?!?

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

No CD players, but awful Sirius radio. Disgusting

Gaslight likes this.
  25. shokhead

A CD player!? Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.