Software for keeping track of the collections

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IceNine, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceNine

IceNine New Member Thread Starter

Who out there has used or developed their own software to keep track of their record/CD collections. Any of the commercially available stuff that I have seen really is no good. Not that we don't already spend enough time doing this; but for us really compulsive folks it's another way to devote ourselves to the hobby.

2. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

Good topic.

I've used a program called CD Runner in the past, with fairly good results. (http://www.cdrunner.com)

It's set-up to do automatic downloads from CDDB to fill in the details for the library database. The database format is okay, though a little on the plain side.

You can also use it to burn and catalouge MP3's (if you're into those) and CDR's . Program is cheap too, only 19.95, with free upgrades within six months. They do a good job of supporting it, and upgrade/fixes happen quite often.

But I got wooed away form this program by the flashy appearence (Windows Outlook style) of anohter program called AVCatalouger. BIG MISTAKE!

The program cost me 39.95, has never worked right, and is very poorly supported by the company. They've been promising an upgrade/fix since September of last year, and I'm still waiting. Have asked for my money back once, but was told to wait, since they'd have the upgrade out "next" month. Right. Still waiting. Not a happy camper.

So, CD Runner, good; AVCatalouger, bad. Anybody else got any recommendations?

Stephen

3. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

While we are on the subject is there a program that will let you search all your cd's by song title? artist etc?

4. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

5. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

I'd like to find some software to do this that will let you enter in the CDs with a barcode reader (like those free ones you can get at Radio Shack). There is software that will do this for DVDs called DVDProfiler, anyone know of anything similar for CDs?

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Thanks Pat...

7. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

Absolute Best is CATRAXX

I've used it for over three years. Upgraded every quarter or so. Fast, powerful, lots of automation, robust search and reporting engines.

Can't speak highly enough about it. It is awesome.

Here's the web-site.

http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/catraxx.html

Cheers,

TRH

8. IceNine

IceNine New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the Catraxx and Homecraft info...am checking them out today. By the way, I have used "Keeptrack" which I got from one of the mail order houses - not very good.
    I'm glad I asked the questions in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.