Sold it regret it

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jens, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jens

Jens Forum Resident Thread Starter

10 years ago I had Aaron amplifers in My main rig. It played wonderful and with a tonal balance that was spot on. It was just right. It had All the functions a man like me need. No build in dac or phono but pure 2 channel stereo. I sold it and regret it, but at the time I had to many amps at home and No time.
    Since then I have played on Pass Labs 150i, Gryphon atilla, Sugden and many other fine amps. They do not dissapoint but.. Now i was lucky to get a hold of A Aaron No1a from the German company. And it is absolutly wonderful. I use it in our living room with a EAR Phonobox and Rega RP8. I also have a little dac for tv sound to the Aaron. It is truly stunnig and for long listening sessions. It is not the a brand you see in magazines and so, but it should be on the list of your choice when chosing amps. The owner is also a kind guy and always ready to explain about Aaron and Soverign amps.

Just so happy I got one back in My rig.

Always happy listenings

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    mreeter, jonwoody, paulybauls and 2 others like this.
  2. paulybauls

paulybauls Forum Resident

I sold a Marantz PM5005 (my first 'proper' amp) about 2 years ago when I bought the HD AMP1 (which I am still very happy with), but now my sister has a new house and wanted my old amp to go with the old speakers & turntable (a Technics SL-D303) I gave her a while back. "Erm, it's long gone y' know?"

In hindsight, it would have been nice to keep the old amp 'in the family' as it were, but a second hand PM5004 popped up locally for £100 so I got here that as a new house/Christmas present. Granted she's no audiophile, but when I visit I'd rather know my old gear is being served by a 'real' amp instead of an old 90s stack from our grandparents with a dubious amount of plastic...

Little does she know she's also getting a new Nagaoka MP110 for it as well.

I wonder what my old PM5005 is doing now.

3. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Around 1980, I sold my entire KISS collection for the money to buy Physical Graffiti. I grew to be sorry about doing that.

Rupe33, Pythonman, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  4. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

As soon as my niece is old enough I'm gifting her my current amp. I'll buy a cheap turntable and donate a stack of records from my collection. Maybe she'll love it.... perhaps not. Either way, I like the idea of keeping an amp "in the family."

jonwoody, Dave, Lamus and 2 others like this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Nakamichi Dragon sale was momentary lapse of reason.

parman, jonwoody, BayouTiger and 5 others like this.
  6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Many years ago I sold my Sony TC-399 R2R when I happened upon my dream machines at the time (an Akai GX-747dbx) for a super cheap. Unfortunately despite how much more impressive that machine looked, I always felt that it sounded inferior to the TC-399 which I had sold.

7. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

Sounds like a wise decision to me..

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I pawned a Yamaha acoustic guitar to buy a 4MB SIMM because I was sick of Netscape crashing.

jonwoody likes this.
  9. Jens

Jens Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Aaron No. 1a is also gonna be in the family and I guess My RP8 is also here to stay. Three Kids so they can build a system while i upgrade to Soverign and P10

10. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I have one huge regret, and that is selling my Denon AU - S1 step up transformer!
    Doug

jonwoody likes this.
  11. james

james Summon The Queen

Line Magnetic 518. Wife told me not to. Forum members told me not to. Sold because kids entering my life = lack of listening time + little fingers to burn.

I’m 40 and now see myself staying solid state until things “settle down” again. Do things every settle down again?

12. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

technics sp10 and thorens td145

jonwoody and audiomixer like this.
  13. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Traded-in my '88 928 S4 for an '04 A4. I keep having thoughts about what I could have done to that 928 (supercharger kit, new wheels/tires / rear fenders) and how much more fun it would have been to track it.

jonwoody and Glmoneydawg like this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Martin Logan Purity.

15. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

47 labs Shigiraki amplifier.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I sold 2 Technics turntables in the 80’s in mint condition when CDs came out. I wish I had kept one of them.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

About 15 years ago, sold a 1970 or 71-ish Gibson SG junior, which my brother had given me, to a local music store for only $300. It did have a crack in its neck, but a slight one and not all the way through. Store owner, palms up, in pawn store fashion, told me it would eventually break and would take "about a thousand dollars" to repair. Because I didn't know any better, I believed him.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I no longer have the beautiful Seagull CW acoustic guitar that the SG money helped pay for.

mdm08033 and Doctor Fine like this.
  18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I think you made the right decision personally.

Scratcha, Clonesteak and bgiliberti like this.
  19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I forgot about my biggest regret sale ever. I sold my MFA Luminescence preamp about 20 years ago in a moment of weakness. I wish I never sold that preamp.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

My Cary 5 channel amp:cheers:

TarnishedEars and mdm08033 like this.
  21. Yuan

Yuan Member

Klipsch Forte and Fisher 500c.
    I don't think I need to explain more.....
    But I want to try different things and only keep one set of vintage setup at a time, pretty happy with the JBL L100t now

22. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Hope you don't mind a minor detour on the thread. I hadn't heard of Aaron before (or Sovereign) and went looking.

A couple of questions...

Does the No. 1a have tone controls? Website doesn't seem to have this info.

Does anyone know if there are UK sellers? A web search drew a blank.

23. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

HA

HA

That's cute. No. It's worth it, but...no.

jeffsab and james like this.
  24. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Vandersteen 2ce Sig II

Oregon, Scratcha and DLD like this.
  25. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

+1

rocnred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.