Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Much better! :D:laugh:

2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

FourFive Seconds
    Does not belong in this thread. I can't hear Paul on this at all.

3. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

It took nine people to write that. Wow.

4. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

My favorite of the Kanye collabs. I wish the song featured Paul and Rihanna only though, I thought it sounded great at Desert Trip

Paulwalrus likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Sure you do. During the "Woke up an optimist" verse, that screeching is Paul sped up! Genius! Totally belongs in league with Live and Let Die and My Love. He's not lost at all.

Haristar likes this.
  6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Ringo Starr - "Postcards from Paradise" (2015)

[​IMG]
    Released: March 3, 2015
    Charts: DNC

Three tracks, "Postcards from Paradise", "Right Side of the Road" and "Not Looking Back", became available for purchase in early March 2015. A lyric video for "Postcards from Paradise" was released on 5 March via Yahoo.com.

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I find 'Postcards' really enjoyable; it fits in nicely with the other slightly psychedelic, catchy singalong songs that Ringo has had in the past, like 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Ocotopus's Garden', like a modern equivalent. It is not as good as those songs IMO, but I still enjoy it, despite the simple lyrics, mainly because of the production, which makes it so weird, but in a good way.

I can understand why someone wouldn't enjoy the song, and 'You Bring The Party Down' is superior, but I am sure that most fans of the Beatles, and most fans of Ringo's solo career would like it. It would stand out more if he hadn't been so self-referential on so many other solo songs.

8. Haristar

Can't say I'm a huge fan of "Postcards from Paradise". I'm not very fond of the self-referencing Ringo does, and to create a song where that's the entire basis of the song... :cry:

Personally I'd say this is as good as Ringo's late 70s/80s singles, which isn't great.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Musically, Postcards is excellent. It has a bit of psychedelia, a nice (if very short) guitar solo, and it's produced very well. Ringo takes sole production credit, but I swear I hear Todd R's influence all over this.

But the lyrics? Man, lazy doesn't even begin to describe this. Name-checking and self-reference are cute for a while, but this is ridiculous.

10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Even grading on the Ringo curve, Postcards is pretty bad/grating. I do enjoy You Bring The Party Down, though.

11. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

It's only been 4 years since New. We are in an era where artists don't feel the need to churn out albums quickly, and often take 4, 5, 6 or even 10 years between albums. Dylan's last studio album of original songs was 2012. Paul Simon released a new album in 2016, but it was his first since 2011. The Stones last album of original songs was 2005! I don't think Paul's been rudderless. I just think he -- like many other older (and younger) artists -- sees no rush to release a new album at a time when "the album" is not the be-all, end-all that it once was.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  12. Fivebyfive

Rap artists credit everyone who makes a contribution to a song, lyrically or musically. And then they get attacked for it. But it's a generous tradition. It means all of the folks whose ideas contributed to a song get a share of the songwriting profits. If Lennon-McCartney had done that, the credit on most of their songs would have read: Lennon-McCartney-Martin-Harrison-Starr-Mal, etc, etc. Producers today routinely get their name on song credits -- in fact, they insist on it -- for the sorts of contributions that George Martin made to Beatles songs but didn't get any official credit for.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  13. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

I would personally say that Paul working with Kanye makes a lot of sense, when you consider how many other "current" producers that he has worked with over the years.

And the gap between New and the present day hasn't been all that long in comparison with many of his contemporaries as others have said.

14. Haristar

Between 1989 and 1999, Paul released FITD, OTG, FP and RDR (and two Fireman albums but they were more like avant garde experiments).

Between 2007 and now, he released MAF, EA, KOTB, New, and soon another album. So Paul has been releasing albums at a higher rate than he did in the 90's, which is impressive for someone his age.

15. Fivebyfive

I think we just got spoiled with Chaos (2005), MAF (2007) and EA (2008). Three good-to-great albums within 3 years. That was highly unusual. And how he's producing at a more normal pace -- 4 to 5 years between albums.

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And even more impressive for someone who has been dead since 1966 ... ;)

17. Haristar

Also let's compare Paul to the other Beatles.

John had a hiatus from albums of five years between 1975 and 1980.

George had a hiatus of five years between 1982 and 1987, and twelve years between 1990 and 2002.

Ringo had a hiatus of nine years between 1983 and 1992.

Paul's longest hiatus has been four years, between 1989 and 1993; 1993 and 1997; 2001 and 2005; 2008 and 2012; and 2013 and 2017 but it usually isn't a conscious attempt to stay away from music. 1993 to 1997 was really the only genuine hiatus, and that was due to the Anthology project.

18. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

Postcards from Paradise would have to be one of my least favourite Ringo singles. Musically, it's rudimentary, and the lyrics.... Why does someone who constantly complains of people endlessly asking him about The Beatles release a song which shamelessly (and lamely) trades on the fact he was a Beatle?

Then again, this is a guy who asks the crowd at every concert: "What's my name?!?"..... and then makes an ad in which he demands: " Don't call me by my stage name!"

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but this kind of thing winds me up.

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Why are we acting like I made any kind of point regarding the length of time between his releases? I didn't. I was commenting on what he's been doing with himself in that time, not that there has been time.

20. Haristar

Alzheimer's?

21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Funniest thing I ever heard was "Kanye Made that McCartney guy. He owes him his career". Kid was maybe 14. I fell out:biglaugh:

22. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Or, just maybe, it's an advert and it doesn't actually mean anything?

23. Fivebyfive

Well if you aren't concerned about the time between albums, then why do you even care what's he's been doing to amuse himself? What does it matter, then, if he pursues a bunch of small projects that suit his fancy and are easy to do in between albums? If anything I think the guy has TOO much going on: Touring, working on an album, overseeing MPL, working on Beatles stuff, involved with Meat Free Monday, involved with Linda McCartney Foods, spending time with his wife, kids, and grandkids, working on an animated movie. It's all too much. :cool:

Turk Thrust and Haristar like this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

What I find strange is the way that they collaborated; it wasn't a true songwriting collaboration in the sense that they didn't really sit down and write together, unlike Paul did with John, Denny Laine, Eric Stewart, Michael Jackson, Elvis Costello, etc. They didn't even jam out a song like Paul did with Stevie, or work together composing on a computer like Paul did with Carl Davis.

I imagined that they would have spent a few days or weeks together experimenting in the studio, with Paul supplying melodies and tape loops and Kanye working on the lyrics and production, but in reality, Paul spent one day talking to Kanye, whilst occassionally whistling out an old tune (When The Wind Is Blowing), or playing a new melody on an acoustic guitar or electric piano, whilst telling Kanye stories, and then Kanye recorded it all on his phone and then took the results to a wide variety of other people, who added so much to it or changed it so much that when Paul heard the results, he couldn't even tell what his own contribution had been.

I feel that it would have worked out better if Paul had then come back into the sessions and helped with the production, singing, lyric writing, etc, but it seems that he took no part in the making of those decisions, which is unfortunate, because had he done so, the results could have been so much more interesting; I can imagine them producing something like 'Appreciate' and 'All Day' mixed together with 'Electronic Arguments' and the other work that Paul has done with Youth and his work with Nitin Sawhney and Freelance Hellraiser.

Still, at least Paul got a nomination for a Grammy in the rap category!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  25. Fivebyfive

On the other hand, maybe that's the best way to collaborate with Paul: "Here. Here's my melody. Go do something with it. I'll let you know if I don't like the result." ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.