Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Maybe "The Inner Light" was being considered as a possible track on the Hey Jude album (which came out in late February 1970)?

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

Could be, though it was getting slightly late. There's no better explanation for now though.

theMess likes this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

It didn't help that John apparently went with a rough mix (though apt for the 'instant' theme). The remix doesn't sound as harsh, so the recording itself is not too bad.

No Bull likes this.
  4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

No Jim... don't dislike Instant Karma....:shake:

Jk

5. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I like Instant Karma! a lot - the immediacy and the high energy are wonderful, and the song itself is a great composition. But, I really hate the Phil Spector production. It's too loud, compressed and distorted. It would be a great record if it were given space to open up and breathe.

Who Has Seen The Wind? is actually not a bad song at all, but man, I just can't take Yoko's vocals on this.

Yoko's Vocals. Good name for a punk band?

6. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Instant Karma is the first Lennon single I actually enjoy. A great song.

bluejeanbaby, No Bull and Frank like this.
  7. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere, I think it was the All Together Now discography book by Harry Castleman, something that made me think that there were two different mixes of Instant Karma available when first released (and not counting any of the remixes on CD approved by Yoko). This is assuming that I'm remembering things correctly and I can't refer to the book because I no longer have it.

I never found out if this was true, does anyone know anything about this?

theMess likes this.
  8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Of his first three singles, I think Instant Karma is the best song, but I've never been real happy with the production, or the drums. Sorry, Phil and Alan!

The B-side isn't horrible, but it's not one of my favorite Yoko songs.

ralph7109 likes this.
  9. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It could have used some Martin production, McCartney bass and some G/P backing vocals.

Paulwalrus, theMess and Culpa like this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Great idea. Nothing stopping us Macca fans from adding songs on this thread!
    APPLE! That’s the beauty of it not being “Capitol" Records.....

Paulwalrus, theMess and Rubber65 like this.
  11. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

And "Every Night" on the B-side!

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  12. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

So then you equate hating the song Give Peace A Chance with trolling. One is not allowed to have that opinion without such characterization. I find that extremely odd. You picked a damn lousy song to champion as something the very dislike of makes humans fall into the troll category. Not A Day in the Life or Hey Jude, you picked Give Peace A Chance!

One more thing. What about the 3 people who liked said post, are they trolls too? If I had said I hate Revolution 9 and they had liked that, would they be trolls then?

13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Instant Karma was an instant classic, one of John's greatest songs and a scorching recording. Although I'd like to hear what GM would have done with it.

theMess and blutiga like this.
  14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Show me exactly where I "championed" Give Peace A Chance. As always you choose to ignore my point. Your post was borderline childish and rather juvenile.

I'm not talking about "other trolls", I'm talking about you and your propensity to post troll-like responses that have no purpose other than to instigate.

And with that, I will try to refrain from replying further.

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Huge Lennon fan here (obviously) and I never got all the love for "Instant Karma" (which I didn't own, had only heard it over the radio).

Then I found a 45 (UK, I think) of it, and said, "Aw, what the hell, I'll give it a shot."

And, to my amazement, that did it!

Great performance and a very good song.

The one JL single I still can't get, however, is "Power to the People".

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    Kermit27 and theMess like this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Exactly the opposite here. Give Peace A Chance is a waste of vinyl imo and Cold Turkey is a great groove-rocker. However, I can see radio stations cutting off that last minute.

jimmydean likes this.
  17. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

where did he try to duplicate it ? give ireland back to the irish ?

18. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

This is the first I've heard that Paul first revealed the band had broken up by being asked by a reporter.

when asked a few years later "i was asked a question and i answered it"

The quote you refer to is about confirming he'd taken LSD.

If he actually has stated that the break-up was leaked by his being so fed up when the journo asked him if he had any plans to record with the Beatles again he said no, it's another sign of his legendary historical revisionism (which has been pointed out by numerous journalists, and repeated many times by Harrison, who is seen mentioning it and laughing about it in "Anthology.")

Paul had a print out (essentially a press release, in which he asked and then answered his own questions) included in LP copies of his self-titled "Bowl and Cherries" album (at least the first U.S. pressings). I got that album within a week of release and it had it in there.

That was the first time that a Beatles break-up was made public.

And not only John, but George also has been quoted that Paul broke the agreed-upon "silence" rule with said press release to boost sales of his album.

(Note also that he got into a shoving match with Ringo [during which Paul threatened Ringo with bodily harm] to force the Beatles to delay the already-set release day of "Let it Be" so Paul could release his solo debut first).

MeanMrMayo likes this.
  19. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

cold turkey is my favourite lennon single... would have been a perfect bonus-track to the plastic ono band album

i don't know why, but i don't like instant karma...

20. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not a fan either - boring. At least GPAC has a catchy chorus.

21. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Freedom

22. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

You're right about most of that. The LSD thing-not sure if he meant that or not cause he kept mentioning Klein.

The thing with McCartney was he was smart enough in the press interview in 'McCartney'-the one he did himself without a reporter-that one...to not say the Beatles broke up. He just said it didn't see a time when the Lennon/McCartney partnership would be active, and that he had no desire to work with the other Beatles. Technically he left it up to interpretation so during 1970, many were still hoping they'd come out with something.

Only when the news broke that Paul was suing the others on 12/31/1970 did media and fans finally give up. There was a mix of skeptics and hopefuls. The lawsuit was already known by the Beatles in November after a meeting between Paul and George, possibly with John. All were in NYC in Oct. 1970. It broke to the media on the last day of 1970.

I've said this on other forums-McCartney was solely responsible for the interview in 'McCartney'. His claim was he was given a piece of paper with questions from- Peter Brown (I think him) and he filled out the questionnaire. Sounds fine until you see some of the questions are followups.

How did someone else know what Paul would write for the answers to develop followup questions?

Paul all da way babay!

muffmasterh and john lennonist like this.
  23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Much Love To Instant Karma. By the late 60s, the group had developed a hippie/drug vibe that probably repelled as many as were converted. They were still huge but they made the mistake of growing up and were no longer the Fab Four of 5 years ago. John was the face of this as evidenced by his early solo work and I have a certain fondness for his rough, under-produced sound. I love Instant Karma as is. It's one of his best efforts.

skybluestoday likes this.
  24. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Describing the melody of Give Peace A Chance as childlike is childish and juvenile? I disagree.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think it was bandied about that somehow the version of the 45 released in the USA was tweaked by Phil Spector, and so sounded different from the UK mix. I have no idea how that rumor got started. I don't think that this was ever verified though.

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.