Some love for Elton John, "Here and There' album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kippyy, Jan 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Although reviewers and perhaps EJ himself denigrated this album as nothing more than a contractual obligation, this album reveals Elton at the apex of his career, and the CD sound quality is excellent. To me, his other live albums including Live in Australia (hampered by hoarse voice), and the recent Live from Moscow, don't hold a candle (in the wind!) to Here and There.

My faves:
    -Funeral/Loves Lies Bleeding-Love the extended ending...this is one of EJ's hardest rockers on any recording
    -Take me to the Pilot-Funky and rocking-Love the "take me to the pilot of the show, yeah", ending
    -Grey Seal-Amazing bass lines and runs throughout, especially at the end
    -John Lennon introduction gives me chills..
    -I Saw Her Standing There-Band sounds inspired, like they're having fun!

This album is a gem in Elton's catalogue. The expanded CD version is the go-to. Let the discussion begin!

CBackley, supermd, downer and 4 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I love it.
    I only got the 2 disc set in the last couple of years, but I reckon it's excellent.

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I love it !

I got the 2cd in 2011 in excited anticipation of my one and only Elton concert.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Worth the admission to hear the John Lennon guest appearance

5. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I love it, one of my favorites.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The original vinyl release was much shorter than the later 2 CD version. Not sure why he didn't make it at least a 2 LP set.

7. Natural E

Natural E Forum Resident

For me, the original release is perfect. My favorite versions of Skyline Pigeon and Love Song.

Rockerbox likes this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’ve liked it since the original album came out. Some really nice versions. However, I am not a fan of the duck call bit on Honkey Cat. It’s completely annoying.

duggan, CBackley, Recordfan and 2 others like this.
  9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I only have the original 10 track album.
    No John Lennon but a great album anyway.

Favorite tracks: Skyline Pigeon, The Border Song, Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, Take Me To The Pilot.

10. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Awesome record!

tug_of_war likes this.
  11. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

My first Elton John album. Mom bought me the 8 track tape of it at Camelot Music at the Dayton Mall in Ohio when I was 7 years old in 1977 so I have fond memories of it and still have that 8 track and played it a few months ago. I remember that version of Honky Cat amused me when I was 7 years old. This album contains the definitive and most moving rendition of "Skyline Pigeon". I think I'll take that tape out right now tonight and play it!

Recordfan and tug_of_war like this.
  12. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

As a casual EJ fan, I do think this should have been released as a double album. Elton was at a career peak & it was the time when live albums could sell very well. The performances are excellent on both sets.
    I think the NY set should have been released in North America, with the London set being issued in Europe.
    Issuing a limited edition box containing both albums would not have been unrealistic IMO as the material & his popularity would have made that feasible.

If Chicago could do it (4 LP live at Carnegie Hall), then surely Elton could have.

It was a truly missed opportunity to have released a classic live album instead of a throwaway.

Norbert Becker and tug_of_war like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Original? Feh.

2-CD? Feh... king awesome!

curbach likes this.
  14. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Agreed! :love:

15. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident Thread Starter

"I'd like to thank Elton and the boys for inviting me. We're looking for a number to finish off with so I can get out of here and be sick, and we thought we'd do a Beatle number from an old estranged fiance of mine called Paul. We just about know it"-John Lennon

My understanding is that Elton bet Lennon in 1973 that if "Whatever gets You Thru the Night" hit #1, then John would promise to sing with Elton and the band live. Of course, Elton could have burped and hit #1, so that bet was kind of a gimme.:goodie:

mBen989 and phillyal1 like this.
  16. jables

jables Forum Resident

I was there.

stratmonkee, CBackley and EddieT like this.
  17. As his final album for DJM before moving on to Rocket, it was nothing more than a contract filler at the time. A 2 LP set would have cost more money, this was the easiest way to finish his contract.

Anyway, the expended CD version is one of my favourite and most played Elton releases. The 3 songs featuring John Lennon are enough to make it essential, but the rest of the set really features Elton at the top of his game and it remains his best live release.

caribiner23 likes this.
  18. caribiner23

caribiner23 Well-Known Member

One of my first Elton albums as a kid. Loved it then, still enjoy it. I was very pleased when the upgraded 2-CD version was released.

And I agree that this album contains the definitive version of "Skyline Pigeon."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Recordfan likes this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Love the 2-CD version, the only one to get.

Recordfan likes this.
  20. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

I do quite like H&T although it only hits the spot in certain places for me.

The NY section sounds a bit weird to me...too much echo, not a great mix and Davey's guitar sounds too trebly and thin. Not sure what amps he was using at the show. Elton's voice was also a bit hoarse (let's be honest) and some of the tracks just rattle on a bit. Grey Seal for example has none of the muscular meaty groove that it had on record. In fact it's never sounded good live to me.

Also the backing vocals on Funeral/Love Lies were clearly not up to scratch as they were edited out in places on the original issue and then, it sounds to me, put back in to the reissue at a quiet level but manipulated to exclude whichever of the vocalists missed a note.

The highlights are the Lennon songs, Rocket Man and Don't Let The Sun GdOm.

The London end, by contrast, sounds too sedate..Perhaps the audience didn't help. But I also found the arrangements of some of the songs a bit twee and soft. It almost sounds to me like the band were a bit bored playing at this gig. Again, Saturday Night's Alright - strange almost strangled guitar sound. Not a good representation of the song as it was on record.

Highlights for me are Love Song and Burn Down The Mission.

Recordfan and Mooserfan like this.
  21. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I like the 2cd version but...why, oh why, did they mix the bongos out of “Love Song”?!?
    The track got a lot of airplay at the time, and it radically changes the feel of it (for the worse, IMO).
    Makes the original cd a must purchase, unfortunately.

EddieT likes this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I have tried looking up the full setlist for Royal Festival Hall on disc 1, and I'm only seeing the 12 songs presented on the first CD. Was that the entire concert?

23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

They edited out the bongos?!?

24. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Worth it if only for the inclusion of the Lesley Duncan song.

25. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Bought the LP back in the 70’s and listened to it two or three times total. Just couldn’t get into it.

Bought the expanded 2-CD version shortly after its release and think it is a very good live album. The John Lennon material is a highlight, as is Burn Down the Mission.

This is a release that is vastly improved by the expanded edition, though the duck noises during Honky Cat have forever ruined that song for me.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Recordfan and CBackley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.