Some more JSP Boxes.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robin L, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

Didn't want to jack the "Satchmo" thread, but wanted to mention a couple more of these cool, cheap boxes of historical material from JSP. There's the two "Carter Family" boxes, near as I can tell complete recordings from (in box one) 1927-1934 (the RCA Victor years) and (in box two) 1935-1941 (the ARC & Decca years). The Carter Family sound isn't just "Twangy". It's twang to the power of twang. it's the kind of sound that'l tear the paint off the walls of your backwoods lean-to shack. It's the most "Country" thing you'll ever hear, and if you love Country, you already love it. Start with volume one. They start to sound tired in the second volume. Transfers are well balanced and the noise reduction seems limited to a little de-clicking.
    I've also got the Big Joe Turner set, and man that is fun. Big Joe Turner can lay claim, as much as anyone, to be the first to "Rock & Roll" with "Shake, Rattle & Roll", back in 1954. But the JSP box proves he was Rockin' all along, with the boogie-woogie beat of "Roll 'em Pete" going on in 1938. There's a fair amount of title repetition here (never heard "Don't the Moon look Fine, hangin' from the trees. . ." so many times in one place), but there's a fair amount of variation of performance style in those tracks. It's "Jazz", after all, warping into "R & B". The transfer work isn't as good as the Carter family set, sounding over-filtered in comparison, but it's still pretty good transfer work.
    Anybody else picked up there bargain boxes of historical recordings? I'm particularly (and predictably) interested in the Charlie Parker box of forties commercial recordings.

2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I own the JSP Bird Box and I dont like it. First of all, I think its a rip off from the recent Savoy and Dial box. That box is way better than the JSP box. The JSP box set is muffled, and they have seem to take out all the tape hiss, so the recordings are completely lifeless to me. The JSP is only worth for the first disc and the first half of the second, that includes a lot of Bird early recordings that are not so easy to find in one place. But you will need eventually the Savoy and Dial set for the best Bird on CD.

So, unfortunately, the Bird set has nothing to do with the Satchmo set in terms of quality. Like someone mentioned in the current Satchmo JSP thread, JSP is a different company althogether from what it used to be a few years ago.

3. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

I have these and like them well enough. They have the benefit of being complete and cheap. If memory serves, the Carter tracks on the Folkways reissue of the Harry Smith Anthology might sound a little brighter. But I'd have to a:b them again to be sure.

Does anybody out there know how the JSP Carter boxes compare to Bear Family's "In The Shadow of Clinch Mountain"? One supposes that the Bear Family would be better. But is it $150 better?

=B.

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I have the JSP Cater Family box and like it. I sold my older Rounder records disks when I got it. The heavy NR on those disks made them pale in comparison. I have heard that the JSP is a rip-off of the Bear Family, but I have no idea if this is true or not. It certainly sounds better than the Rounders.

L.

5. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Yes, the JSP Carter Family set is a rip-off of Bear Family, just like the Patton set is a rip-off of Revenant. I refuse to buy these on principle. The Parker set, on the other hand, was remastered by Ted Kendall. Like it or not, it's at least an honest effort. If it sounds "muffled" compared to the Savoy/Dial set, it's probably because the Savoy/Dial was EQ'd at the top. That may also be why you hear less surface noise (not tape hiss; we're talking 78s here). Kendall does not use digital NR; he does all noise reduction in the analog domain, just like his guru, the late John R.T. Davies.

6. speedo

speedo Member

How can they rip off a remaster? Doesn't the original recording (original release) go into the Public Domain?

7. speedo

speedo Member

How can they rip off a remaster? Doesn't the original recording (original release) go into the Public Domain?

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Companies can use any source as a master. In the UK, etc. the material is public domain.

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Who paid the cost to remaster/research the original material? Not JSP, but some other company. That is the material they are using for their releases, they are not spending any money on this.

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The JSP sets vary in quality, but I'm a little skeptical about some of the rip-off accusations. They could very well be rip-offs, but nobody's taken the time to do a real comparison to identify the exact source.

I like the Carter Family collection, but doesn't the copyright date pre-date the Bear Family box set - according to some reviews, the giant Carter Family box set issued by Bear came out only a few years ago.

I agree about the Parker set. I don't know if Kendall did a good job but I do have the Savoy/Dial 8 CD set and it's painfully sharp. The good news is CEDAR is pretty minimal compared to past releases. I don't recall any echo added too. Bad news is the EQ is even brighter and sharper.

11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I think the accusation is that they didn't seek out original sources and then master them to digital themselves, but simply picked up a copy of the Bear Family box and dubbed those transfers without giving credit or payment for them. While in Europe right now as I understand it the recordings themselves are in the public domain, it's still--at least on a moral level (and perhaps a legal one as well)--wrong to use someone else's transfers and claim that they're your own. This gets murkier when you consider the work of U.S. labels like Mosaic because here in the U.S. the recordings themselves are NOT in the public domain.

L.

qwerty likes this.
  12. RZangpo2

L got it right. I wasn't complaining about illegality or copyright infringement, but about stealing another label's work and then underselling it. If this continues it will destroy the incentive for labels like Bear Family, Mosaic, Revenant, etc. to reissue this material in the first place. If not illegal (at least in Europe), the practice is certainly short-sighted and immoral. (If done in the US, it would be illegal as well.)

As for C6's point, look at the remastering credit on the JSP box. If Davies or Kendall did it, it says so. If there's no credit, it's a ripoff. I asked John Steadman himself who remastered one of the "no-name" boxes. He gave a weaselly answer to the effect that the sources were so good no remastering was necessary. I'll bet!

As for sonic differences between JSP and the ripped-off sources, others have suggested a little EQ is applied as window dressing.

I also refuse to buy anything from the Definitive group of labels, for the same reason.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  13. Robin L

Fortunately for me, I've already got the 8 CD Dial/Savoy set on Savoy/Atlantic. Too bad though. Was Hoping there might be some unusual tracks on the JSP set.

14. RZangpo2

No new tracks on the JSP, but better sound (pace bluesbro).

15. Robin L

Well, now that I've got the three boxes of Carter Family and Big Joe Turner on my groaning shelves, I've got no inclination to get rid of them. But that is rather sad. I'm definitely getting the hot 5s/7s box. Any other boxes that can be vouched for? And do you know anything about the "Proper Pairs" series? I have the Muddy Waters two-fer and just love it!

16. RZangpo2

Robin, by all means get the Hot 5s/7s. Remastered by John R.T. Davies; the best version available! And pick up the rest of their Davies/Kendall remasterings while you're at it. It's the "rip-off" sets that I avoid. As for Proper, I've only heard rumors. Maybe someone else on the board knows more.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  17. Robin L

And what, kind sir, might those be?

18. RZangpo2

Here's the ones I have. The 300, 600, and 700 series are all OOP, as are the Hoagy Carmichael discs, but some of the material has been reissued in the budget boxed set "900" series.

Label/Cat. No. Artist Title Mastered By

JSP CD 301 MILLS BROTHERS Chronological Volume One John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 302 MILLS BROTHERS Chronological Volume Two John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 303 MILLS BROTHERS Chronological Volume Three John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 304 MILLS BROTHERS Chronological Volume Four John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 305 ARMSTRONG, Louis Big Bands Volume One 1930-31 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 306 ARMSTRONG, Louis Big Bands Volume Two, 1931-1932 John R. T. Davies?
    JSP CD 307 SPIRITS OF RHYTHM 1933-34 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 308 RUSSELL, Luis 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 309 VENUTI, Joe / Eddie LANG Volume One John R. T. Davies?
    JSP CD 310 VENUTI, Joe / Eddie LANG Volume Two John R. T. Davies?
    JSP CD 312 ARMSTRONG, Louis Hot Fives & Sevens Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 313 ARMSTRONG, Louis Hot Fives & Sevens Volume 2 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 314 ARMSTRONG, Louis Hot Fives & Sevens Volume 3 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 315 ARMSTRONG, Louis Hot Fives & Sevens Volume 4 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 319 DODDS, Johnny 1926-1928 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 320 MILLS BROTHERS Chronological Volume Five John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 321 MORTON, Jelly Roll Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 322 MORTON, Jelly Roll Volume 2 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 323 MORTON, Jelly Roll Volume 3 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 324 MORTON, Jelly Roll Volume 4 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 325 MORTON, Jelly Roll Volume 5 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 326 LEWIS, Ted Classic Sessions, 1928-1929 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 327 BOOTS AND HIS BUDDIES 1935-1937 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 328 CALLOWAY, Cab Cab Calloway and the Missourians, 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 330 JORDAN, Louis At The Swing Cats’ Ball: The Early Years, 1937-1939 Ted Kendall
    JSP CD 331 CARTER, Benny “Devil’s Holiday” Recordings 1933-1934 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 333 ALLEN, Henry “Red” 1929-1930 Vol. 2 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 335 JOHNSON, Lonnie Playing With The Strings John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 336 zzz VARIOUS News Orleans Jazz Giants 1936-1940 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 338 BECHET, Sidney In New York 1937-1940 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 339 PRIMA, Louis Volume One John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 3403 [2] ALLEN, Henry “Red” ... & His New York Orchestra 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 341 REINHARDT, Django Volume One Ted Kendall
    JSP CD 342 REINHARDT, Django Volume Two Ted Kendall
    JSP CD 343 REINHARDT, Django Volume Three Ted Kendall
    JSP CD 344 REINHARDT, Django Volume Four Ted Kendall
    JSP CD 345 MILLS BROTHERS Chronological Volume Six John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 347 OLIVER, Joe “King” Volume One 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 348 OLIVER, Joe “King” Volume Two 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 349 REINHARDT, Django Volume Five Ted Kendall
    JSP CD 601 ESTES, Sleepy John First Recordings With Yank Rachel & Noah Lewis John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 602 GOLDEN GATE QUARTET Gospel Train John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 603 zzz VARIOUS Memphis Country Blues Recordings 1 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 605 DAVIS, Walter First Recordings 1930-1932 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 610 CANNON, Gus (& His Jug Stompers) The Legendary 1928-1930 Recordings John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 703 CROSBY, Bing On Treasure Island John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 906 [4] CONDON, Eddie The Classic Sessions 1927-1949 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 908A/D [4] CALLOWAY, Cab Volume 1: The Early Years, 1930-1934 John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 913 [4] BEIDERBECKE, Bix & Frank Trumbauer Bix & Tram John R. T. Davies
    JSP CD 914A/D [4] CALLOWAY, Cab Volume 2: 1935-1940 Ted Kendall
    JSP CD 915 PARKER, Charlie A Studio Chronicle: 1940-1948 Ted Kendall
    JSP HOAGY 1 CARMICHAEL, Hoagy Volume One John R. T. Davies
    JSP HOAGY 2 CARMICHAEL, Hoagy Volume Two John R. T. Davies

However, that's only the beginning. At last count I have 509 titles mastered by Davies and Kendall, on the Collector's Classics, Frog, Hep, Jazz Oracle, King Jazz, Media 7, Nostalgia Arts, Retrieval, Sensation, and Timeless labels, as well a few miscellaneous projects on other labels. There's also the Jonzo series of Bing Crosby's complete recordings, the earliest volumes of which were mastered by Davies and the rest by Kendall.

I'm not saying all this music is of the caliber of the Hot 5s and 7s, but some is essential. Don't miss the two volumes of Satchmo's big band sides on JSP, which continue chronologically where the Hot 5 and 7 volumes leave off. Also on JSP is the complete Jelly Roll Morton in 5 volumes. On Hep -- still in print -- are the complete Count Basie Decca recordings (3 volumes); all of Fletcher Henderson's great 1933-34 recordings (2 vols.); and Teddy Wilson's wonderful 1930s small groups, most with Billie Holiday (6 vols.). And then there is the complete Bessie Smith on Frog (8 volumes), mastered by Davies -- the best sonics these recordings have ever had.

Some of the lesser-known artists on the list are wonderful, too. The Spirits of Rhythm, for example, just to choose one at random. I've made many happy discoveries by following the work of Davies and Kendall. You can, too!

lemonjello, Spy Car, alchemy and 2 others like this.
  19. RZangpo2

Aw, heck; here's the complete list (except for the JSP titles listed above). Happy hunting!

Label/Cat. No. Artist Title Mastered By

Bluebird/BMG 09026-63986-2 zzz VARIOUS When The Sun Goes Down, Vol. 1: Walk Right In Transfers by Doug Pomeroy and John R. T. Davies. Audio restoration and CD mastering by Doug Pomeroy.
    Bluebird/BMG 09026-63987-2 zzz VARIOUS When The Sun Goes Down, Vol. 2: The First Time I Met The Blues Transfers by Doug Pomeroy and John R. T. Davies. Audio restoration and CD mastering by Doug Pomeroy.
    Bluebird/BMG 82876 55157 2 McTELL, Blind Willie Statesboro Blues: The Complete RCA Victor Recordings, 1927-1932 Shellac disc transfers by John R. T. Davies; metal part transfers, audio restoration and CD mastering by Doug Pomeroy
    BX Records BXCD 1-3 [3] BEIDERBECKE, Bix Bix Restored: The Complete Recordings and Alternates, Vol. 1 John R. T. Davies - re-engineering & digital mastering
    BX Records BXCD 10-12 [3] BEIDERBECKE, Bix Bix Restored: The Complete Recordings and Alternates, Vol. 4: June 1928 - September 1930 Transfers and remastering: Michael Kieffer; Additional transfers and remastering: John R.T. Davies and Ted Kendall; Pitch correction: Dan Levinson
    BX Records BXCD 4-6 [3] BEIDERBECKE, Bix Bix Restored: The Complete Recordings and Alternates, Vol. 2 John R. T. Davies and Michael Kieffer
    BX Records BXCD 7-9 [3] BEIDERBECKE, Bix Bix Restored: The Complete Recordings and Alternates, Vol. 3: February-June 1928 John R. T. Davies and Michael Kieffer
    Collector’s Classics COCD-01 ALLEN, Henry “Red” The Henry Allen Collection, Vol. 1: 1932 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-02 ALLEN, Henry “Red” The Henry Allen Collection, Vol. 2: 1932-1935 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-03 MANONE, Wingy The Wingy Manone Collection, Vol. 1: 1927-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-04 MANONE, Wingy The Wingy Manone Collection, Vol. 2: 1934 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-05 MANONE, Wingy The Wingy Manone Collection, Vol. 3: 1934-35 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-06 NOONE, Jimmie The Jimmie Noone Collection, Vol. 1: 1928 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-07 RUSSELL, Luis The Luis Russell Collection: 1926-1934 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-11 HINES, Earl “Fatha” Piano Solos, 1928-1940 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-12 NOONE, Jimmie The Jimmie Noone Collection, Vol. 2: 1928-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-13 ALLEN, Henry “Red” The Henry Allen Collection, Vol. 3: 1935-1936 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-14 COBB, Junie The Junie Cobb Collection: 1926-29 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-15 ALLEN, Henry “Red” The Henry Allen Collection, Vol. 4: 1936-1937 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-16 ORIGINAL MEMPHIS FIVE The Original Memphis Five Collection, Vol. 1: 1922-23 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-17 WASHBOARD RHYTHM KINGS The Washboard Rhythm Kings Collection, Vol. 1: 1931-1932 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-18 WASHBOARD RHYTHM KINGS The Washboard Rhythm Kings Collection, Vol. 2: 1932 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-19 WILLIAMS, Clarence The Clarence Williams Collection, Vol. 1: 1927-28 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-20 MANONE, Wingy The Wingy Manone Collection, Vol. 4: 1935-36 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-21 BOSWELL SISTERS The Boswell Sisters Collection, Vol. 1: 1931-32 John R. T. Davies

alchemy, SOONERFAN and eno789 like this.
  20. RZangpo2

Collector’s Classics COCD-23 ALLEN, Henry “Red” The Henry Allen Collection, Vol. 5: 1937-1941 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-24 ALLEN, Henry “Red” The Henry Allen Collection, Vol. 6: 1941-1946 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-25 WASHBOARD RHYTHM KINGS The Washboard Rhythm Kings Collection, Vol. 3: 1932-33 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-26 WASHBOARD RHYTHM KINGS The Washboard Rhythm Kings Collection, Vol. 4: 1933 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-28 WILLIAMS, Clarence The Clarence Williams Collection, Vol. 2: 1928 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-29 WILLIAMS, Clarence The Clarence Williams Collection, Vol. 3: 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Collector’s Classics COCD-30 WASHBOARD RHYTHM KINGS The Washboard Rhythm Kings Collection, Vol. 5: 1930 John R. T. Davies
    Columbia/Legacy CK 65746 JOHNSON, Robert King Of The Delta Blues Singers Disc to Digital Transfers: Steven Lasker, Michael Donaldson (track 17). CEDAR restoration: Steven Lasker. Sonic Advice: John R. T. Davies. Digital Masters by Robert Vosgien, CMS Digital.
    Conifer CDHD 131 CARTER, Benny When Lights Are Low John R. T. Davies
    Conifer CDHD 153 TEAGARDEN, Jack A Hundred Years From Today John R. T. Davies
    Cygnet CYG 1001 MEMPHIS NIGHT HAWKS / CHICAGO RHYTHM KINGS The Memphis Night Hawks and Chicago Rhythm Kings John R. T. Davies
    Cygnet CYG 1003 STATE STREET RAMBLERS The STATE STREET RAMBLERS / 1 Charlie Crump and John R. T. Davies
    Cygnet CYG 1003 STATE STREET RAMBLERS The STATE STREET RAMBLERS 1928-1931 Charlie Crump and John R. T. Davies
    Cygnet CYG 1004 MOTEN, Bennie Bennie Moten’s Kansas City Orchestra John R. T. Davies
    Decca GRD-609 GOODMAN, Benny & Jack TEAGARDEN B.G. and Big Tea in NYC John R. T. Davies
    Decca GRD-611 [3] BASIE, Count The Complete Decca Recordings Digital transfers by Steven Lasker, Doug Schwartz, and John R. T. Davies. Audio restoration and reprocessing by Erick Labson (utilizing the Sonic Solution "NoNOISE” system).
    Disques Swing 8402 COLEMAN, Bill In Paris 1936/38 John R. T. Davies
    Disques Swing 8403 HAWKINS, Coleman / Benny CARTER Coleman Hawkins - Benny Carter John R. T. Davies
    Document DOCD-1003 zzz VARIOUS Rare Live Cuts John R. T. Davies
    Document DOCD-1007 YANCEY, Jimmy The Unissued 1951 Yancey Wire Recordings John R. T. Davies
    Document DOCD-5561 Lewis, Meade Lux Alternate Takes, Live Performances, Soundies, etc: 1939 to late 1940s John R. T. Davies
    Flare ROYCD 203 LANGFORD, Frances Sweet Heartache John R. T. Davies
    Flyright Fly CD 61 GANT, Cecil Cecil Gant Remastered by John R. T. Davies
    Forte F-38001/2/3 ARMSTRONG, Louis Louis with Fletcher Henderson 1924-1925 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 02 NEW ORLEANS OWLS The Owls’ Hoot John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 03 DODDS, Johnny Blue Clarinet Stomp: Complete Sessions 1928 & 1929 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 04 PARENTI, Tony Strut Yo’ Stuff: 1925-29 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 05 zzz VARIOUS Sizzling the Blues John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 06 DIXIELAND JUG BLOWERS Louisville Stomp John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 07 zzz VARIOUS That’s My Stuff: Chicago 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 08 zzz VARIOUS Hot Notes: New York, Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 09 zzz VARIOUS Get Easy Blues John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 10 HAYES, Clifford / LOUISVILLE STOMPERS Frog Hop John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 11 zzz VARIOUS Thumpin’ and Bumpin’: New York, Volume 2 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 12 zzz VARIOUS Don’t You Leave Me Here: New York, Volume 3 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 13 zzz VARIOUS Alexander, Where’s That Band? Paramount Recordings, Chicago 1926-28 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 14 WILLIAMS, Clarence Dreaming the Hours Away: The Columbia Recordings, Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 15 MEMPHIS JUG BAND Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 16 MEMPHIS JUG BAND Volume 2 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 17 WILLIAMS, Clarence Whoop It Up: The Columbia Recordings, Volume 2 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 18 MEMPHIS JUG BAND Volume 3 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 19 MOLE, Miff Slippin’ Around: Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 20 MOLE, Miff Slippin’ Around - Again: Volume 2 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 21 zzz VARIOUS Memphis Blues Singers: Volume 1 Re-mastered by John R. T. Davies and Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 22 zzz VARIOUS Memphis Blues Singers: Volume 2 Re-mastered by John R. T. Davies and Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 23 THE ORIGINAL INDIANA FIVE Everybody Stomp: The Harmony Recordings 1925-1929 Remastered by John R. T. Davies and Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 24 zzz VARIOUS Memphis Stomp: The Victor Recordings in Memphis 1927-1930 Remastered by John R. T. Davies and Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 25 McKINNEY’S COTTON PICKERS Put It There: Volume 1 (1928-29) Remastered by John R. T. Davies; CEDAR processed by Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 26 McKINNEY’S COTTON PICKERS Cotton Picker’s Scat: Volume 2 (1930) Remastered by John R. T. Davies; CEDAR processed by Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 27 McKINNEY’S COTTON PICKERS Shag Nasty: Volume 3 - The Alternate Masters Remastered by John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 28 zzz VARIOUS Hot Stuff: Black Chicago Big Bands, 1922-29 Remastered by John R. T. Davies.
    Frog DGF 29 MOTEN, Bennie Justrite: Bennie Moten’s Kansas City Orchestra, Volume 1 Remastered by John R. T. Davies.
    Frog DGF 30 MOTEN, Bennie Kansas City Breakdown: Bennie Moten’s Kansas City Orchestra, Volume 2 Remastered by John R. T. Davies.
    Frog DGF 31 zzz VARIOUS What Kind of Rhythm Is That? Territory Bands Remastered by John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 32 zzz VARIOUS Happy Rhythm: New York Columbia Recordings, Volume 1 Remastered by John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 33 DUNN, Johnny Cornet Blues Remastered by John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 34 OLIVER, Joe “King” Sugar Foot Stomp: Volume 1 Remastered by John R. T. Davies with additional work by Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 35 OLIVER, Joe “King” Farewell Blues: Volume 1 Remastered by John R. T. Davies with additional work by Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 36 SOUTH, Eddie Black Gypsy Remastered by Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 37 WILLIAMS, Clarence Shake ‘Em Up: 1927-1929 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 38 zzz VARIOUS Go Harlem: New York Columbia Recordings, Volume 2 Remastered by John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 39 DODDS, Johnny New Orleans Stomp: Johnny Dodds on Brunswick & Vocalion 1926-27 Remastered by John R. T. Davies with additional work by Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 40 SMITH, Bessie Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 41 SMITH, Bessie Volume 2 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 42 SMITH, Bessie Volume 3 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 43 SMITH, Bessie Volume 4 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 44 SMITH, Bessie Volume 5 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 45 SMITH, Bessie Volume 6 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 46 SMITH, Bessie Volume 7 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 47 SMITH, Bessie Volume 8 John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 48 WILLIAMS, Clarence QRS Recordings - Volume 1 Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 49 WILLIAMS, Clarence QRS Recordings - Volume 2 Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 50 REINHARDT, Django The Swing Sessions, Volume 1 Ted Kendall
    Frog DGF 51 O’BRYANT, Jimmy Mystery Man of Jazz John R. T. Davies
    Frog DGF 52 REINHARDT, Django The Swing Sessions, Volume 2 Ted Kendall
    Halcyon DHDL 115 WALLER, Thomas “Fats” The Complete Early Band Works 1927-9 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0001 RAEBURN, Boyd Jubilee Broadcasts - 1946 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0002 DONAHUE, Sam Convoy: 1945, Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0004 McKINLEY, Ray The Class Of ‘49 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0005 DONAHUE, Sam LST Party: 1945, Volume Two John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0006 GAILLARD, Slim The Legendary McVouty John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0012 RICH, Buddy The Legendary ‘47-’48 Orchestra Vol. 1 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0013 PIERCE, Nat The Boston Bustout John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0015 CARTER, Benny Groovin’ High in L.A. 1946 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0017 THORNHILL, Claude The 1948 Transcription Performances Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0018 HERMAN, Woody The Road Band 1948 Vols. 1 & 2 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0019 SHAW, Artie Hollywood Palladium 1941 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0021 GAILLARD, Slim In Birdland 1951 Original Transfers: Jack Towers. Digital Remastering: Ted Kendall.
    Hep CD 0022 RAEBURN, Boyd March Of The Boyds ‘45 - ‘48 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0024 JAMES, Harry Big John Special ‘49 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0025 DONAHUE, Sam Hollywood Hop John R. T. Davies using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0026 KRUPA, Gene What’s This? 1946, Vol. 1 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0027 AULD, Georgie Jump, Georgie, Jump John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0028 GAILLARD, Slim The Absolute Voutest! ‘46 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0033 PIED PIPERS Good Deal, MacNeal John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0034/35 HERMAN, Woody The V-Disc Years, Volumes 1 & 2: 1944-46 Transfers: Jack Towers, John R. T. Davies; Remastered: John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0036 GOODMAN, Benny Benny’s Bop, 1948-49 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0038 BASIE, Count The Jubilee Alternatives Transfers: Martin Halperin; ReMastered: John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0039 DORSEY, Tommy The All Time Hit Parade Rehearsals Transfers: Martin Halperin; Remastered: John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0040 DORSEY, Tommy The Carnegie Hall V-Disc Session, April 1944 Transfers: Martin Halperin, John R. T. Davies; Remastered: John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0041 DORSEY, Jimmy At The 400 Restaurant, 1946 Original Transfers: Martin Halperin; Remastered: John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0042 RAEBURN, Boyd The Transcription Performances - 1946 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0043 DORSEY, Tommy At The Fat Man’s, 1946-48 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0044 SQUADRONAIRES There’s Something In The Air: 1944-46 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0045 SHORE, Dinah Dinah’s Showtime John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0046 KRUPA, Gene It’s Up To You: 1946, Vol. 2 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0047 KENTON, Stan The Transcription Performances 1945-46 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0048 CARTER, Benny They All Had Rhythm: 1945-46 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0049 BUTTERFIELD, Billy Pandora’s Box: 1946-47 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0050 STARR, Kay I’ve Got To Sing 1944-48 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0051 KRUPA, Gene Hop, Skip & Jump: 1946, Vol. 3 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0052 HEATH, Ted Listen To My Music Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0053 BARNET, Charlie The Transcription Performances 1941 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0054 BOTHWELL, Johnny Street of Dreams: 1946 Transfers: Jack Towers, Ted Kendall. Digital Remastering: Ted Kendall.
    Hep CD 0055 SHAW, Artie In Hollywood 1940-41 Vol. 2 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 0056 RICH, Buddy The Legendary ‘46-’48 Orchestras Vol. 2 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0057 HEATH, Ted Listen To My Music Vol. 2 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0058 BAKER, Kenny Birth Of A Legend ‘41-’46 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0059 DORSEY BROTHERS At The Casino Gardens 1946 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0060 THORNHILL, Claude The Transcription Performances 1947 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0061 HEATH, Ted Listen To My Music Vol. 3: ‘47-’48 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0062 JAMES, Harry Feet Draggin’ Blues 1944-47 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0063 MOONEY, Joe (Quartet) Vol. 1: Do You Long For Oolong? Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0065 MOONEY, Joe (Quartet) Vol. 2: Joe Breaks The Ice Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0066 zzz VARIOUS Swing To Bop Guitar: Guitars In Flight 1939-1947 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0067 KENTON, Stan The Transcription Performances, Vol. 2 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0068 KENTON, Stan Carnegie Hall - October 1951 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0069 HEATH, Ted Listen To My Music, Vol. 4: 1948-1950 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0070 [3] SHAW, Artie And His Orchestra 1944-45 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0071 DONAHUE, Sam Take Five 1945-1948 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0072 THORNHILL, Claude The 1946-47 Performances, Vol. 1 Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 0073 SHEARING, George The Shearing Sound: 1949 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 0075 DORSEY, Tommy It’s D’Lovely: 1947-1950 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1001 REDMAN, Don Shakin’ The Africann John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1003 HINES, Earl Swingin’ Down John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1005 DORSEY BROTHERS Mood Hollywood John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1006 DORSEY BROTHERS Harlem Lullaby John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1008 MILLS BLUE RHYTHM BAND Blue Rhythm John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1009 HENDERSON, Fletcher Wild Party! John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1010 CASA LOMA ORCHESTRA Casa Loma Stomp John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1012 WILSON, Teddy Volume 1: Too Hot For Words John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1014 WILSON, Teddy Volume 2: Warmin’ Up John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1015 MILLS BLUE RHYTHM BAND Rhythm Spasm John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1016 HENDERSON, Fletcher Yeah Man! John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1019 NORVO, Red Jivin’ The Jeep John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1020 WILSON, Teddy Volume 3: Of Thee I Swing John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1023 WEBB, Chick Rhythm Man John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1024 SHAW, Artie In The Beginning John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1025 BASIE, Count Listen ... You Shall Hear John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1027 BASIE, Count ‘Do You Wanna Jump ... ?’ John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1028 ALLEN, Henry “Red” / Coleman Hawkins 1933 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1029 WILSON, Teddy Volume 4: Fine & Dandy John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1030 ELDRIDGE, Roy Heckler’s Hop John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1031 HOPKINS, Claude Monkey Business John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1032 BASIE, Count Basie Rhythm Jack Towers / John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1033 HILL, Teddy Uptown Rhapsody John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1034 BROWN, Cleo Here Comes Cleo John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1035 WILSON, Teddy Volume 5: Blue Mood John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1036 BERIGAN, Bunny Gangbusters John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1037 CLINTON, Larry Shades Of Hades John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1038 GOODMAN, Benny Plays Fletcher Henderson John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1039 GOODMAN, Benny Plays Jimmy Mundy John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1040 NORVO, Red Rock It For Me John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1041 REINHARDT, Django Django’s Music Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 1042 SHEARING, George The London Years Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 1043 WILSON, Teddy Volume 6: Moments Like This John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1044 NORVO, Red Dance Of The Octopus John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1045 JENNEY, Jack Stardust John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1046 SHAW, Artie The Chant John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1047 CLINTON, Larry Feeling Like A Dream John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1048 SHAW, Artie Non-Stop Flight John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1049 HOPKINS, Claude The Transcription Performances 1935 Transfers/Re-mastering: John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1050 NORVO, Red Wigwammin’ John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1051 CASA LOMA ORCHESTRA Maniac’s Ball John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1052 CLINTON, Larry Studies In Clinton John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1053 GOODMAN, Benny Plays Eddie Sauter John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1054 GRACE, Teddy Turn On That Red Hot Heat John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1055 GOODMAN, Benny Plays Mel Powell John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1056 CASA LOMA ORCHESTRA Boneyard Shuffle John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1057 NICHOLS, Red Wail Of The Winds John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1058 THORNHILL, Claude Vol. 1: Snowfall Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 1059 GOODMAN, Benny Plays Fletcher Henderson: Volume 2 Re-mastering: John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1060 THORNHILL, Claude Autumn Nocturne: Volume 2 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 1061 BRADLEY, Will (Orchestra) / Ray McKINLEY Vol. 1: Hallelujah Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 1062 CASA LOMA ORCHESTRA Stompin’ Around John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1063 WEBB, Chick Strictly Jive John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1064 WILSON, Teddy Jumpin’ For Joy John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1065 zzz VARIOUS Sound Of Harlem Vol. 1 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1067 ANDERSON, Ivie / Duke ELLINGTON Raisin’ The Rent John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1068 JAMES, Harry Record Session ‘39-’42 Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 1069 ANDERSON, Ivie / Duke ELLINGTON Vol. 2: All God’s Chillun... John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1070/2 MOTEN, Bennie Bennie Moten Orchestra 1929-32: Band Box Shuffle John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1071 BRADLEY, Will (Orchestra) / Ray McKINLEY It’s Square, But It Rocks Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 1072 NORVO, Red Nuances By Norvo: Vol. 5 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1072 NORVO, Red Nuances By Norvo: Vol. 5 John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1073 SHAW, Artie Evensong John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1074 THORNHILL, Claude Buster’s Last Stand Ted Kendall
    Hep CD 1076 ZURKE, Bob Honky Tonk Train Blues John R. T. Davies
    Hep CD 1078 BRADLEY, Will (Orchestra) / Ray McKINLEY Swingin’ Down The Lane Ted Kendall using CEDAR
    Hep CD 1079 [2] CALLOWAY, Cab The Chu & Dizzy Years John R. T. Davies
    IAJRC CD 1012 EUROPE, James Reese Featuring Noble Sissle John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Crusade JCCD-3019 CRAWLEY, Wilton / Fess WILLIAMS Crazy Clarinets, Raucus Reeds John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8001 HALFWAY HOUSE ORCHESTRA Recorded in New Orleans 1925-1928 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8002 CELESTIN, Oscar “Papa” / Sam MORGAN Recorded in New Orleans 1925-1928 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8003 MOSBY, Curtis / Henry STARR Recorded on the West Coast and London, 1924-1939 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8004 DORSEY BROTHERS Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8005 DORSEY BROTHERS Volume 2 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8006 DORSEY BROTHERS Volume 3 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8007 NICHOLS, Red Red Nichols on Edison, 1924-27 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8008 zzz VARIOUS Richmond Rarities John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8009 zzz VARIOUS Gennett Rarities John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8010 TURK, Al / Charley STRAIGHT Chicago Rhythm John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8011 CLOUD, Robert H. Florida Rhythm 1927-1931 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8012 WILLIAMS, Douglas 1928-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8013 KAHN, Roger Wolfe Recorded in New York 1925-1932 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8014 CARLSEN, Bill 1926-1931 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8015 POLLACK, Ben Volume 1: 1926-1928 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8016 POLLACK, Ben Volume 2: 1928-1929 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8017 POLLACK, Ben Volume 3: 1929 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8018 LINX, Jack and Maurice SIGLER Jack Linx and Maurice Sigler John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8019 ORIGINAL INDIANA FIVE Volume 1: 1923-25 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8020 CRAWLEY, Wilton Showman, Composer & Clarinetist John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8021 zzz VARIOUS Dallas Rhythm John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8022 McCLENNON, George / Wilton CRAWLEY George McClennon / Wilton Crawley 1923-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8023 zzz VARIOUS Dime Store Hot Dance John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8024 LOUISIANA RHYTHM KINGS Louisiana Rhythm Kings 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8025 zzz VARIOUS Arkansas Shout John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8026 POLLACK, Ben Volume 4: 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8027 zzz VARIOUS Arcadia Shuffle John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8028 MANNING, Sam Volume 1: 1924-27 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8029 MANNING, Sam Volume 2: 1927-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8030 ORIGINAL INDIANA FIVE Volume 2: 1925 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8031 ORIGINAL INDIANA FIVE Volume 3: 1926 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8032 POLLACK, Ben Volume 5: 1931 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8034 ORIGINAL INDIANA FIVE Volume 4: 1926-28 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Oracle BDW 8035 [3] PURVIS, Jack 1928-1935 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Unlimited JUCD 2049 SPANIER, Muggsy & Bud FREEMAN The Complete V-Disc Sessions: 1944-45 John R. T. Davies
    Jazz Unlimited JUCD 2069 ELLINGTON, Duke The British Connexion 1933-1940 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 101 FS BECHET, Sidney / Mezz MEZZROW The King Jazz Story, Vol. 1: 1945 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 102 FS BECHET, Sidney / Mezz MEZZROW The King Jazz Story, Vol. 2: 1945/46 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 103 FS BECHET, Sidney / Mezz MEZZROW The King Jazz Story, Vol. 3: 1946/47 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 104 FS BECHET, Sidney / Mezz MEZZROW The King Jazz Story, Vol. 4: 1947 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 105 FS MORTON, Jelly Roll The Complete “Jelly Roll” Morton 1923/29 Piano Heritage, Vol. 1 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 106 FS MORTON, Jelly Roll The Complete “Jelly Roll” Morton 1923/29 Piano Heritage, Vol. 2 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 107 FS SPANIER, Muggsy Muggsy, Tesch, Eddie & The Chicagoans, Vol. 1: 1924/27 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 108 FS SPANIER, Muggsy Muggsy, Tesch, Eddie & The Chicagoans, Vol. 2: 1928/29 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 109 FS NEW ORLEANS RHYTHM KINGS The Complete New Orleans Rhythm Kings, Vol. 1: 1922/23 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 110 FS New Orleans Rhythm Kings / Bix BEIDERBECKE The Complete N.O.R.K., Vol. 2: 1923 & The Complete Bix's Wolverines, 1924 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 111 FS KEPPARD, Freddie The Complete Freddie Keppard Heritage: 1923/27 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 112 FS OLIVER, Joe “King” The Complete 1923/31 Heritage, Vol. 1: 1923 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 113 FS OLIVER, Joe “King” The Complete 1923/31 Heritage, Vol. 2: 1923/26 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 114 FS WALLER, Thomas “Fats” The Complete Thomas “Fats” Waller and His Rhythm, Vol. 1: 1934/35 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 115 FS WALLER, Thomas “Fats” The Complete Thomas “Fats” Waller and His Rhythm, Vol. 2: 1935 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 116 FS WALLER, Thomas “Fats” The Complete Thomas “Fats” Waller and His Rhythm, Vol. 3: 1935 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 117 FS WALLER, Thomas “Fats” The Complete Thomas “Fats” Waller and His Rhythm, Vol. 4: 1935/36 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 118 FS ORIGINAL DIXIELAND JAZZ BAND The Original Dixieland Jazz Band In London 1919/20 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 121 FS ARMSTRONG, Louis The Complete Louis Armstrong with Clarence Williams, Vol. 1: 1924/25 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 122 FS ARMSTRONG, Louis The Complete Louis Armstrong with Clarence Williams, Vol. 2: 1925 John R. T. Davies
    King Jazz KJ 123 FS MEZZROW, Milton “Mezz” The Quintessetial Milton “Mezz” Mezzrow John R. T. Davies
    Kings Cross KCM 005/006 [2] PETTIS, Jack His Pets, Band and Orchestra Mastering by John R. T. Davies
    Largo 5129 HUGHES, Spike High Yellow John R. T. Davies
    Marshall Cavendish Partworks ELDRIDGE, Roy / Benny CARTER Little Jazz / All of Me John R. T. Davies CD copied on stand-alone recorder
    Marshall Cavendish Partworks ELLINGTON, Duke Rockin’ In Rhythm John R. T. Davies CD copied on stand-alone recorder
    Marshall Cavendish Partworks ELLINGTON, Duke The Duke’s Men John R. T. Davies CD copied on stand-alone recorder
    Marshall Cavendish Partworks GILLESPIE, Dizzy / Sidney BECHET Early Years / Summertime John R. T. Davies CD copied on stand-alone recorder
    Marshall Cavendish Partworks HOLIDAY, Billie All of Me John R. T. Davies CD copied on stand-alone recorder
    Media 7 MJCD 061 HOLIDAY, Billie Complete Edition, Volume 6: 1938 Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Charles Eddi
    Media 7 MJCD 062 HOLIDAY, Billie Complete Edition, Volume 7: 1938-1939 Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Charles Eddi
    Media 7 MJCD 070 HOLIDAY, Billie Complete Edition, Volume 8: 1939 Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Charles Eddi
    Media 7 MJCD 071 LUNCEFORD, Jimmie Complete Edition, Volume 4: 1936-1937 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 073 CARTER, Benny Complete Edition, Volume 5: 1936 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 081 CARTER, Benny Complete Edition, Volume 6: 1936 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 082 HOLIDAY, Billie Complete Edition, Volume 9: 1940 Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Charles Eddi
    Media 7 MJCD 084 LUNCEFORD, Jimmie Complete Edition, Volume 5: 1937-1939 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 090 HOLIDAY, Billie Complete Edition, Volume 10: 1940-1941 Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Charles Eddi
    Media 7 MJCD 095 CARTER, Benny Complete Edition, Volume 7: 1936-1937 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 097 BECHET, Sidney Complete Edition, Volume 7: 1940 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 098 LUNCEFORD, Jimmie Complete Edition, Volume 6: 1939 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 100 BECHET, Sidney Complete Edition, Volume 8: 1940 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 102 HOLIDAY, Billie Complete Edition, Volume 11: 1941-1942 Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Charles Eddi
    Media 7 MJCD 103 CARTER, Benny Complete Edition, Volume 8: 1937 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 106 WILSON, Teddy Teddy and the Girls: Complementary Works, Volume 1 (1935-1937) John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 111 BASIE, Count Complete Edition, Volume 8: 1938-1939 Pierre-Louis Cas & John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 116 WILSON, Teddy Teddy and the Girls: Complementary Works, Vol. 2 (1937-1938) John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 123 ELLINGTON, Duke Complete Edition, Volume 9: 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 124 CARTER, Benny Complete Edition, Volume 9: 1938-1939 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 126 BECHET, Sidney Complete Edition, Volume 9: 1940-1941 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 127 BECHET, Sidney Complete Edition, Volume 10: 1941 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 135 WILSON, Teddy Teddy and the Girls: Complementary Works, Vol. 3 (1938-1939) Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Studio Dante (Vanves)
    Media 7 MJCD 140 BECHET, Sidney Complete Edition, Volume 11: 1941-1942 Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Studio Dante, Vanves
    Media 7 MJCD 145 ELLINGTON, Duke Complete Edition, Volume 10: 1930 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 147 LUNCEFORD, Jimmie Complete Edition, Volume 7: 1939-1940 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 150 WILSON, Teddy The Legendary Small Groups, Volume 1: 1935-1937 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 160 LUNCEFORD, Jimmie Complete Edition, Volume 8: 1940-1941 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 173 ELLINGTON, Duke Complete Edition, Volume 11: 1930 Transfers: John R. T. Davies. Mastering: Christophe Henault, Studio Dante.
    Media 7 MJCD 801 zzz VARIOUS Anthology of Scat Singing, Volume 1: 1924-1929 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 802 zzz VARIOUS Anthology of Scat Singing, Volume 2: 1929-1933 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 803 zzz VARIOUS Anthology of Scat Singing, Volume 3: 1933-1941 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 804 zzz VARIOUS Anthology of Jazz Drumming, Vol. 1: 1904-1928 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 805 zzz VARIOUS Anthology of Jazz Drumming, Vol. 2: 1928-1935 John R. T. Davies
    Media 7 MJCD 806 zzz VARIOUS Anthology of Jazz Drumming, Vol. 3: 1936-1937 Transfers: John R. T. Davies; Mastering: Studio Dante
    Memoir CDMOIR 507 zzz VARIOUS Harlem Joys John R.T. Davies
    Memoir CDMOIR 508 FITZGERALD, Ella Ella Swings Easy John R.T. Davies
    Memoir CDMOIR 544 zzz VARIOUS At The Jazz Band Ball John R.T. Davies
    Mosaic 211 [7] BEIDERBECKE / TRUMBAUER / TEAGARDEN The Complete Okeh And Brunswick Bix Beiderbecke, Frank Trumbauer And Jack Teagarden Sessions Disc & Tape Transfers: Doug Pomeroy, Andreas Meyer, John R. T. Davies, Jack Towers. Audio Restoration and Mastering: Doug Pomeroy.
    Mosaic 219 [7] BERIGAN, Bunny The Complete Brunswick, Parlophone and Vocalion Sessions Disc Transfers: Vince Caro, John R. T. Davies, Andreas Meyer, Doug Pomeroy. Pitch Correction: Dan Levinson. Audio Restoration and Mastering: Vince Caro.
    Nostalgia Arts NOCD 3006 WHITEMAN, Paul Original 1927 Recordings John R. T. Davies
    Nostalgia Arts NOCD 3008 BOSWELL SISTERS The Boswell Sisters Collection, Vol. 2: 1925-32 John R. T. Davies
    Nostalgia Arts NOCD 3009 BOSWELL SISTERS The Boswell Sisters Collection, Vol. 3: 1932-33 John R. T. Davies
    Nostalgia Arts NOCD 3022 BOSWELL SISTERS The Boswell Sisters Collection, Vol. 4: 1932-34 John R. T. Davies
    Nostalgia Arts NOCD 3023 BOSWELL SISTERS The Boswell Sisters Collection, Vol. 5: 1933-36 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79003 GEORGIANS 1922-23 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79004 SPIRITS OF RHYTHM 1932-34 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79005 HUGHES, Spike & Benny CARTER 1933 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79006 zzz VARIOUS Texas & Tennessee Territory Bands, 1928-1931 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79008 NAYLOR, Oliver 1924-25 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79009 BOSWELL SISTERS Airshots and Rarities, 1930-1935 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79010 NICHOLS, Red & Miff MOLE 1925-1927 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79011 ELIZALDE, Fred The Best of Fred Elizalde and His Anglo American Band John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79012 DORSEY, Tommy Tommy Dorsey and His Clambake Seven, 1936-1938 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79013 SMITH, Jabbo 1929-1938 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79014 LEWIS, Ted The Jazzworthy Ted Lewis John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79015 LANG, Eddie / Carl KRESS / Dick McDONOUGH Pioneers of Jazz Guitar, 1927-1939 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79016 HENDERSON, Rosa 1923-1931 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79017 KEPPARD, Freddie The Complete Set: 1923-1926 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79018 [2] zzz VARIOUS Lost Chords 1915-1945 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79019 COON-SANDERS ORCHESTRA The Best Of Coon-Sanders Original Nighthawk Orchestra, 1924-1932 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79020 zzz VARIOUS Blue Yodelers John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79023 [2] RUSSELL, Luis The Luis Russell Story, 1929-1934 Audio Restoration: John R. T. Davies. Digital Mastering: Wil Hesen, Farmsound Studio, Heelsum
    Retrieval RTR 79027 REINHARDT, Django And The Singers With Jean Sablon Ted Kendall
    Retrieval RTR 79028 MARTIN, Sara The Famous Moanin’ Mama, 1922-1927 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79029 DE DROIT, Johnny And The New Orleans Jazz Orchestra John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79030 SMITH, Clara The Essential ... 1924-1929 Audio Restoration: John R. T. Davies. Digital Mastering: Wil Hesen, Farmsound Studio, Heelsum
    Retrieval RTR 79031 NEW ORLEANS RHYTHM KINGS 1922-1925: The Complete Set John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79033 ORIGINAL DIXIELAND JAZZ BAND In London 1919-1920 Audio Restoration: John R. T. Davies. Digital Mastering: Wil Hesen, Farmsound Studio, Heelsum
    Retrieval RTR 79035 BULLOCK, Chick The Essential ... 1932-1941 John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79036 GEORGIANS 1923-1924 Audio Restoration: John R. T. Davies. Digital Mastering: Wil Hesen, Farmsound Studio, Heelsum
    Retrieval RTR 79037 zzz VARIOUS Jazz Goes Hawaiian Audio Restoration: John R. T. Davies. Digital Mastering: Wil Hesen, Farmsound Studio, Heelsum
    Retrieval RTR 79038 zzz VARIOUS Americans In Britain, 1920-1925 Audio Restoration: John R. T. Davies. Digital Mastering: Wil Hesen, Farmsound Studio, Heelsum
    Retrieval RTR 79039 SUNSHINE BOYS 1929-1931: The Complete Set John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79040 BEIDERBECKE, Bix With Jean Goldkette’s Orchestra John R. T. Davies
    Retrieval RTR 79041 PIRON’S NEW ORLEANS ORCHESTRA Piron’s New Orleans Orchestra Audio Restoration: John R. T. Davies. Digital Mastering: Wil Hesen, Farmsound Studio, Heelsum
    Rounder 1079 zzz VARIOUS Rembetika: Historic Urban Folk Songs from Greece Jack Towers, John R. T. Davies
    Rounder 1139 VAMVAKARIS, Markos Bouzouki Pioneer, 1932-1940 John R. T. Davies
    SAYDISC CD-SDL 334 zzz VARIOUS Cylinder Jazz: Early Jazz & Ragtime from Phonograph Cylinders John R. T. Davies
    SAYDISC CD-SDL 336 zzz VARIOUS I’ll Dance till de Sun breaks through John R. T. Davies
    SAYDISC CD-SDL 350 zzz VARIOUS The Wibbly Wobbly Walk John R. T. Davies
    SAYDISC CD-SDL 358 zzz VARIOUS Keep The Home Fires Burning John R. T. Davies
    SAYDISC CD-SDL 380 zzz VARIOUS The Golden Years of Music Hall John R. T. Davies
    SAYDISC CD-SDL 413 zzz VARIOUS Cockney Kings of Music Hall John R. T. Davies
    Sensation 769 748 022-2 HANSHAW, Annette Volume 5: 1928-29 John R. T. Davies
    Sensation 769 748 023-2 HANSHAW, Annette Volume 6: 1929 John R. T. Davies
    Sensation 769 748 024-2 MILLS, Irving & His Hotsy Totsy Gang Volume One John R. T. Davies
    Sensation 769 748 025-2 MILLS, Irving & His Hotsy Totsy Gang Volume Two John R. T. Davies
    Sensation 8 05455 10032 5 HANSHAW, Annette Volume 7: 1929-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Sensation 8 05455 15164 8 McKENZIE, Red Vol. I: 1924-1927 John R. T. Davies
    Sensation 8 05455 24233 9 McKENZIE, Red Vol. II: 1927-1932 John R. T. Davies
    Solo Art SACD-11 MORTON, Jelly Roll The Library Of Congress Recordings Volume 1 John R. T. Davies
    Stash ST-CD-535 PARKER, Charlie The Complete “Birth of the Bebop” John R. T. Davies - additional engineering
    The Old Masters mb111 THE COON-SANDERS NIGHTHAWKS Volume One John R. T. Davies
    The Old Masters mb113 THE COON-SANDERS NIGHTHAWKS Volume Three John R. T. Davies
    The Old Masters mb117 SELVIN, Ben Volume Two George Morrow; two tracks by John R. T. Davies
    The Old Masters mb120 RESER, Harry The Six Jumping Jacks, Vol. 1 George Morrow; two transfers by John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-001 BONANO, Sharkey Sharkey Bonano John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-002 TEMPO KING Tempo King John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-003 HENDERSON, Fletcher & Louis ARMSTRONG Fletcher Henderson and Louis Armstrong: 1924-1925 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-004 CROSBY, Bing Bing Crosby John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-005 zzz VARIOUS Hot British Dance Bands John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-006 HAWKINS, Coleman In Europe John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-007 WATERS, Ethel Ethel Waters John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-008 ROBERTSON, Dick Dick Robertson and His Orchestra John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-009 ORIGINAL DIXIELAND JAZZ BAND The Original Dixieland Jazz Band John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-010 zzz VARIOUS Harlem Big Bands John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-011 CARMICHAEL, Hoagy Hoagy Carmichael John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-012 SMITH, Willie ‘The Lion’ Willie ‘The Lion’ Smith And His Cubs: 1935-1937 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-014 zzz VARIOUS New Orleans In The ‘20s John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-015 DODDS, Johnny / Jimmy Blythe 1926-1928 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-016 GRACE, Teddy Teddy Grace John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-017 GOOFUS FIVE The Goofus Five John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-018 MOUND CITY BLUE BLOWERS Mound City Blue Blowers John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-019 McKENZIE, Red Red McKenzie John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-020 zzz VARIOUS Jazz Goes To The Movies John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-021 zzz VARIOUS Jazz From The WIndy City John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-022 [2] PARHAM, Tiny Tiny Parham John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-023 [2] DANDRIDGE, Putney Putney Dandridge John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-024 CONDON, Eddie Eddie Condon John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-025 SHAVERS, Charlie Charlie Shavers And The Blues Singers John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-026 zzz VARIOUS The 30s Girls John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-027 zzz VARIOUS Jelly Roll Morton John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-028 BECHET, Sidney Young Sidney Bechet 1923-1925 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-029 COTTON PICKERS The Cotton Pickers 1922-1925 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-030 THOMAS, Big Charlie Big Charlie Thomas John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-031 GEORGIA MELODIANS Georgie Melodians John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-032 SENTER, Boyd Boyd Senter: Jazzologist Supreme John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-033 zzz VARIOUS Jazz In Texas: 1924-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-034 zzz VARIOUS Jazz In California: 1923-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-035 zzz VARIOUS Ragtime To Jazz 1: 1912-1919 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-036 zzz VARIOUS Jazz In St. Louis: 1924-1927 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-037 LITTLE RAMBLERS 1924-1927 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-038 zzz VARIOUS Jazz From Atlanta: 1923-1929 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-039 REEVES, Ruben The Complete Vocalions 1928-1933 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-040 CHARLESTON CHASERS The Charleston Chasers Vol. 1: 1925-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-041 zzz VARIOUS The Chicago Hot Bands 1924-1928 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-042 GOOFUS FIVE The Goofus Five: 1924-25 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-043 LANG, Eddie The Quintessential Eddie Lang 1925-1932 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-044 CHISHOLM, George Early Days, 1935-1944 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-045 zzz VARIOUS Ragtime To Jazz 2 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-046 zzz VARIOUS The First Days Of Jazz John R. T. Davies and others
    Timeless CBC 1-047 RHYTHM RASCALS The Rhythm Rascals, Swing Rhythm Boys, Sid Phillips: 1935-36 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-048 zzz VARIOUS Jazz Is Where You Find It: 1924-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-049 ORIGINAL MEMPHIS FIVE - NAPOLEON’S EMPERORS - THE COTTON PICKERS 1928-1929 The Original Memphis Five - Napoleon’s Emperors - The Cotton Pickers 1928-1929 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-050 HILL, Alex Ain’t It Nice? The Recordings of Alex Hill 1: 1928-1934 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-051 zzz VARIOUS Glenn Miller’s G.I.’s in Paris: 1945 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-053 CALIFORNIA RAMBLERS The California Ramblers 1925-1928 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-054 HILL, Alex Keep A Song In Your Soul! The Music of Alex Hill 2: 1928-1935 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-055 zzz VARIOUS Odds & Bits 1926-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-056 WILLIAMS, Clarence And His Orchestra, Vol. 1: 1933-34 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-057 WILLIAMS, Clarence And His Orchestra, Vol. 2: 1933-37 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-058 CUMMINS, Bernie And His Orchestra: 1924-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-059 LYMAN, Abe And His California Orchestra: 1922-1932 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-064 HENDERSON, Fletcher The Harmony & Vocalion Sessions, Volume 1: 1925-1926 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-065 [2] GOODMAN, Benny 1931-1935 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-068 zzz VARIOUS Tight Women And Loose Bands John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-069 HENDERSON, Fletcher The Harmony & Vocalion Sessions, Volume 2: 1927-1928 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-070 zzz VARIOUS From Ragtime To Jazz, Volume 3: 1902-1923 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-072 zzz VARIOUS Up And At ‘Em: Early Victor Electric Hot Dance Bands 1925-1927 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-074 LEWIS, Ted And His Band: 1929-1934 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-077 LADD’S BLACK ACES The Complete Ladd’s Black Aces: 1921-1924 John R. T. Davies
    Timeless CBC 1-081 CHARLESTON CHASERS The Charleston Chasers Vol. 2 & New York Studio Groups: 1928-1930 John R. T. Davies
    Yazoo 2035 zzz VARIOUS Shake Your Wicked Knees: Rent Parties And Good Times Richard Nevins, John R. T. Davies (tracks 12, 16, and 21)

alchemy, SOONERFAN and eno789 like this.
  21. Robin L

Thanks RZangpo2! This is giving me flashbacks to my days at "Rare Records". The Django stuff looks tasty!

22. RZangpo2

There ya go! I prefer the sound of Davies's and Kendall's work to just about anyone else's when it comes to remastered recordings from the 78 era. For one thing, they use no digital noise reduction or processing of any kind. Maybe it's just me, but I'm allergic to that stuff. I call it "shrink-wrapped" sound; no air. Also, Davies himself played 22 different musical instruments (!) and knew what real music sounds like. I find his EQ choices to be unimpeachable.

crispi likes this.
  23. RZangpo2

You're very welcome!

24. Robin L

I'll look into the Yardbird box on JSP. I've owned the originals of Bird on Dial and Savoy, and the big Bird CD box does sound a bit nasty in comparison. Thanks again.

25. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

No, no, I've been misinterpreted. I'm skeptical when people say "This JSP set is a copy of this set." I'll use the Proper sets as an example.

On another board, people said the Proper sets were rip-offs of various CD's, and they threw out the names of a few CD's that were allegedly the sources. I borrowed a Proper set and compared it to the same CD's, and it was NOT a copy at all. In fact, it sounded much worse.

Same deal with the Definitive CD's, I had a Parker Savoy set for awhile, and it was not a copy of any Parker Savoy CD I had acquired over the years.

Going back to the Carter Family JSP set, it may very well be a rip-off, but, I'm not sure if Bear Family is the victim here. The copyright dates given on some sites show that the JSP set predates the Bear Family set. Maybe the copyright dates are wrong, but I'd like to see someone with the resources actually do a real comparison between Bear Family and the JSP set, preferably on a computer, bit for bit.

Imagine70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.