Some trouble with an SACD disc, any advice?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cleandan, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleandan

cleandan Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello all, I have an SACD disc that is giving me some trouble.
    The Police, Synchronicity. 069 493 606-2
    2003 A&M Records, info on the back of the disc SUSS-004350A1

When inserted into the SACD player it loads in the normal time, has a display as if something is being read, but the display after loading reads all zeros.
    This thing acts like it has been erased rather than having any music on the disc.
    It will not play.

This disc has been tried on three different SACD capable machines with the same result each time.

Could I possibly have a blank disc from the factory?
    Not blank like a new, unused disc though because it does read and register enough to signal the counter to read all zeros.

Thanks and have a great day.

2. cleandan

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I doubt the disc shipped blank. If I had to guess (and it's just that), I'd say that the disc isn't being read due to some damage or deterioration. What does the surface look like (both the label and the other side? What does the spindle area look like -- does it have cracks?

Or maybe all three players you tried it on are older with weaker lasers and a newer machine might have no trouble reading it.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Does it say Crest on it anywhere?

Did Crest ever make any single-layer discs though?

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The US was single layer only wasn't it? Euro had the redbook layer included I think.
    Manufacturing error is my guess.
    Ended up passing on this one as I believe it just used the compressed mastering.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

USA was Single Layer, SACD only. That disc is most likely defective, especially since it won't play in 3 different SACD players.

7. cleandan

Thanks for the reply.
    The three machines used will play other SACD's without issue....as well as the other formats they are designed to play.
    I am still willing to try yet another machine just to be certain.....I suppose my best bet is to take this SACD to an audio store and try it there.

This disc looks perfect in every way.
    No center hole seperation, no scuffs or scratches, no disc rot...heck not even a fingerprint....nothing. It appears as if just opened and new.
    One thing I do notice is the lack of apparent data on the disc...you know, the portion of the disc that appears like a record where the info has been written.
    Every CD/DVD/SACD I have has some sort of visual change where the info has been written...but not this disc.
    This disc looks even and unchanged across the entire writable surface.

The more I look into this oddity the more I begin to believe it is a blank disc that got past quality control....A factory error.
    Every other aspect of this disc carries all the manufacturing data and appearance of what this disc is suppose to be.
    If someone went to the trouble of making a fake, they went a VERY long way to perfectly duplicate every aspect of a real SACD, except for the easy part of installing the data on the disc.

The liner book, the jewel case card....even the 3"x3" insert card that came with these "Introducing Super Audio CD" telling me of all the greatness SACD has to offer.....Just no music from the disc.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Did you just get the SACD? Has it ever played and or won't play anymore? I have the same exact Synchronicity SACD and just tried it. The disc plays fine on several of the tracks I tried. It sounds like the disc is defective.

9. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Did you buy the disc new or is it a second hand purchase? If new, I would've returned it straight away and asked for a replacement or full refund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.