Some Warner toon title restoration

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Whoooo - take a look at the restored title cards posted at Jerry Beck's always cool Cartoon Brew site for some Blue Ribbon prints: http://cartoonbrew.com/

Verrrrrry impressive, yesindeedy!!!! :goodie:

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks, Mike

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

So when is Tex Avery's stuff gonna hit stores? I'm just itchin' to replace my laser discs.

4. indy mike

The MGM Avery stuff - not for awhile. Jerry Beck can't leak any info per his contract with Warner, but the second he can share he I'm sure we'll be informed via Cartoon Brew...

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I imagine we are at least a year or so from a box set of Tex Avery's MGM output, but "The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 2" will have four of his WB shorts

I Love to Singa (1936)
    The Heckling Hare (1941)
    Hollywood Steps Out (1941)
    Tortoise Beats Hare (1941)

A few of his other shorts have popped up here and there on DVDs of various classic MGM films including:

High Society ==> Millionaire Droopy (1956)
    Les Girls ==> The Flea Circus (1954)
    Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House ==> The House of Tomorrow (1949)
    The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer ==> Little 'Tinker (1948)
    Battleground ==> Little Rural Riding Hood (1949)

"Millionaire Droopy" is sort of a grey area since it was made with no real involvment from Avery. MGM re-composed his animation from the 1949 short "Wags to Riches" for a CinemaScope release. "The High Society" DVD presents it letterboxed, but not enhanced for 16:9 TVs.

Regards,

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Never saw that "39 Steps" shot before. Funny, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson dancing down the steps, all 39 of them, heh. Isn't that from the MM "Have You Got Any Castles, Baby" (or whatever it was called)?

Attached Files:

7. Ken_McAlinden

Yup. It's from Frank Tashlin's "Have You Got any Castles?". Unless I missed one, this is the only Tashlin short to appear on the first two LT/MM DVD volumes. It seems odd to include this one. It's an OK example of the form, but they already are including Clampett's "Book Revue" on the same set. Oh well, more good stuff for the next set, I guess.

Regards,

8. indy mike

The title cards look nice, don't they???

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They do.

That cartoon BABY BOTTLENECK is one of my favorites. Some amazing animation in that when Daffy Duck gets one of his legs stretched way out. Awesome drawing!

10. indy mike

A Clampett toon... :winkgrin:

11. stereoptic

Just seeing Daffy in that bag hat gets me every time! :laugh:

12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't wait for this release! Keep em coming.

I'll buy every WB short ever made (thru the 60's) if they keep pumping out these boxes.

13. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Baby Bottleneck is a great cartoon - totally bizarre and brilliantly executed. Only Bob Clampett could make them like that - he was the best. I also particularly like Kitty Cornered, for some wild contorted reactions from Porky. I hope they keep rolling out the Clampetts....

14. Ken_McAlinden

The new set has several of Clampett's best color shorts and one classic black and white Porky cartoon:
    • Baby Bottleneck (1946) (w/commentary from Michael Barrier and archival Clampett recordings)
    • The Big Snooze (1946) (w/commentary from Bill Melendez)
    • Book Revue (1946) (w/commentary from Michael Barrier and archival Clampett recordings)
    • The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (1946) (w/commentary from John Kricfalusi)
    • Kitty Cornered (1946) (w/commentary from Michael Barrier and archival Clampett recordings)
    • A Corny Concerto (1943) (w/commentary from Michael Barrier and archival Clampett recordings)
    • The Hep Cat (1942)
    • Porky in Wackyland (1938)
    There will also be a 20 minute featurette titled "The Man from Wackyland: the Art of Bob Clampett".

"The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" is right up there with "Baby Bottleneck" in terms of being both bizarre and brilliant.

Regards,

15. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

This new set far outranks the first, on the strength of the Clampett inclusions. Hats off to Jerry Beck or whoever was involved in the selection. "The Hep Cat" is a classic - the closing line is unforgettable - "something new has been added!" (I recall Steve commenting on this one a while back).

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Once again, thanks Ken. :wave: :righton:

17. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Cant wait for this set!

18. Ken_McAlinden

Whoops, that's "Kitty Kornered" (The Porky Pig vs. Cats pretending to be M-m-m-men from Mars" short). I apologize for my incorrect correct spelling.

19. stereoptic

I think that it is against forum rules to point out incorrect correct mispelled spellings, even if it was correctly incorrectly mispelled by yourself!! :p

GORTS!!!

Was this trip really necessary?

20. One my favourte 1930s Warner cartoons. Can't wait to see it on DVD. :thumbsup:

21. Ken_McAlinden

It looks great. It is one of the cartoons where they were able to restore the original title cards which brings us full circle back to the nominal topic of the thread! :)

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.