Something Else By The Kinks - Poll and Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sab, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great post.
    Waterloo Sunset
    Afternoon tea
    Death of a clown
    Lazy old sun (glorious psych leanings and seriously overlooked and underrated)

...........just what was in that afternoon tea?

ash1 likes this.
  2. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Belatedly saw this. My Something Else CD is mono but I tried this with Waterloo Sunset in stereo from a compilation that I don’t listen to much. And you’re right. The backing vocals are more or less 90 degrees left of my head.

The things you learn here...

bhazen and All Down The Line like this.
  3. It's splitting hairs to me as to ranking Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green, Arthur, Lola and Muswell - all are absolutely fantastic, and depending on the day of the week I could pick a new one of these as my favorite.

Six Bachelors and JumpinJimF like this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Sunset
    Clown
    Sun
    Season

5. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Oh nearly forgot

Waterloo Sunset (obvs)
    David Watts
    Death of a Clown
    Lazy Old Sun

Coulda, shoulda, woulda: Two Sisters, Afternoon Tea

Aftermath and All Down The Line like this.
  6. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

The reissue of SE in the mono box set sounds nice and the vinyl pressings in the box set were of pretty good qualtiy. I don't have the original mono to compare though.

7. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I remember liking the album but cannot recall what the songs sound like. Except for the last one of course. Guess I will have to Youtube it before I vote.

8. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Question, men:

I have been monitoring the popular auction site and various other internet venues for a "reasonably-priced" original UK mono copy of Something Else in "reasonably-decent" shape. Need I resign myself to the fact I'll have to drop at least $100 for a VG+ copy of this?

9. All Down The Line

Sounds eminently believeable.

10. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

No Return
    Waterloo Sunset
    Lazy Old Sun
    David Watts

11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

This album is eclipsed by the two surrounding Kinks albums.

12. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I picked "David Watts", "Death Of A Clown", "Love Me Till The Sun Shines" and "Waterloo Sunset"
    I love this album. It's my second favorite Kinks album after VGPS. I enjoy the album from start to finish. It really fits together as an album. Not a concept album, but the songs just seem to sound good where they are placed on the album. This is definitely a 60s classic album even if it hasn't been deigned as such by the powers that be yet.

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Citing the OP's "feel free to discuss anything relating to this album" dictum, can one of you gentlemen kindly talk me off the ledge here?

I did it. I finally went and did it.

I only listen to original mono LPs on my mono hi-fi system, and I have long been curious about procuring a UK Pye mono copy of this, the most appealing Kinks album to me (never issued in mono here on my side of the pond). I have casually monitored the popular auction site over the past few years for a VG+ or better copy, but they invariably go for big money.

Time marches on and still I've found myself with no mono copy of "Something Else." Last weekend I identified a clean copy at £150 o/b/o on a widely-used record collector site. I put in a "low" offer of £100 thinking it wouldn't come to anything, but lo and behold, the fellow accepted. I am excited to be receiving it soon, yes, but I am VERY nervous about having dropped what comes out to be almost exactly $150USD with shipping factored in. This is the most I've ever laid out for a record.

Any/all words of encouragement appreciated!

14. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Voted for "David Watts", "Death of a Clown", "Two Sisters" and "Harry Rag" ... Incredibly, "Waterloo Sunset" has never really done all that much for me.

15. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Question about this great Kinks album (likely their best, in my factual opinion...)

Naturally this was only available in stereo on our side of the pond...save for the promo copies. I see a Reprise promo copy just sold for crazy money--north of $1k--on the popular auction site a week or two back. Would the promo have been a dedicated mono mix, or is it a fold?

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

It's repetitive to say, but here goes anyway...

I didn't know Lazy Old Sun till I heard the mono. What a sonic masterpiece.

17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Best of luck!

I don't have the original, but love my copy from the recent AAA mono box.

18. All Down The Line

Fancy.

19. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I have a UK Pye mono copy of this album. I was just curious to know if they actually took the time for a dedicated mono mix for the US promo that wasn't commercially released.

Lazy Old Sun is great. Too bad it never made it to 45 in any country; I would love to have that in my jukebox.

20. All Down The Line

Wonder if it ever made a foreign EP?

21. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

I just substantially upgraded my stereo. Put on a CD of this album. Holy moly!

It’s always been my favorite Kinks record, but just sitting down for the first time in a long time, with a nice (but not fantastic) hi-fi, was a revelation.

I love the crazy hard panning. They just stuck the band in one channel over there so the vocals can SOAR!!! Love it.

sharedon likes this.
  22. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

My four selections too.

The lp is a nice mix of the sardonic and the achingly sincere. That's really hard to pull off, but the brothers Davies make it look easy.

bvb1123 likes this.
  23. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

I love this album to bits, its my favourite of the band. Genuinely think it's one of the best records of the 60s.

Alright4now likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I bought a nice well-regarded CD mastering of Face to Face, and tried to tell myself that it is equal to Something Else, but just different is all. After 8 or 10 years, I realized it is not in any way imo as good as Something Else. The tunes are not as great. No splitting hairs for me on those two. I know I'm hyper-critical.

Alright4now and lothianlad like this.
  25. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

Totally agree.

'Something else' was a massive step up. I've never been that enthused about 'face to face'. I think the records that came after were better.

Alright4now and quicksrt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.