Something New from Led Zeppelin Being Mastered Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tmtomh, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Bloody plagiarists!! :biglaugh:

2. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed, although weird then that he wouldn't tease it with one of the myriad Earls Court photos instead of one from a random show in '75. Maybe I'm reading too much into it? :shrug:

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  3. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is exciting news. I feel the money leaving my wallet as I type!:righton:

Sean, mickey g, LarryP and 7 others like this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You must be sporting an unleaded wallet.....;)

6. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, I suppose if they cherry pick the best bits from all nights they could come up with a decent release. It's bound to keep that 'Garden Tapes' guy busy, though! :D

I guess my main issues with an Earls Court release are twofold:

1) I can't stand Robert's voice on most nights during the '75 tour (the recent Seattle soundboard being a rare exception). For me, his flu-voice ruins the performances.

2) There is already more than enough 1975 material that circulates amongst collectors, and can be easily found.....2 pro-shot Earls Court videos, 10 or more 1975 soundboards, etc. IMO, more or less, if you've heard one then you've heard them all.

Frankly, I'd rather hear something else.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Harvey Weinstein Light :shh:

David del Toro likes this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I hope we don`t have to wait another year until we find out what this will be.
    For me Live In Japan`71 would be the best case scenerio even if the sound quality isn`t the greatest.Still,I`m happy to hear the news of any project in the works,the more Zeppelin the better.:D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Sean, Buda, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree. This would be my number one choice. How the East Was Won. At o e time I heard this was seriously being considered.

If they remaster HtWWW they need to include some additional material...similar to the remastered BBC set. Otherwise there is no incentive to me to re-buy it.

Sean and tmtomh like this.
  10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I just spit out my cola!

Sean, steveharris and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Complete Knebworth on DVD? I'm hoping for Japan 71 audio though, How the East Was Won.

12. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I would keep the expectations low for now. There are thousands of threads spread across infinite music boards about how underwelming the remaster campaign and bonus cds were.
    I doubt this is Japan 71. Most probably we will get HTWWW or, in a fantastic perspective, Earls Court.

qtrules and tmtomh like this.
  13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Well, yeah, but taken all together some unexpected and excellent things did come out of the bonus/companion discs. Expectations don't matter. Zeppelin's still big enough that tons of people will be underwhelmed no matter what comes out.

HTWWW would be fine for a second go-round if it didn't sound overcooked and they put out Long Beach and LA complete or just put back everything from LA that was cut from the original.

Knebworth - First show was fair (with some pretty inspired moments here and there). Second show really sucked hard, practically from start to finish. I don't see what else could be squeezed from those recordings, Ten Years Gone and No Quarter from Kneb I maybe, but that's it.

Earl's Court - Almost full-length video made up from the existing footage would be fantastic, but I don't know if it's even remotely possible. Would be nice to have more audio -- the DVD audio blows all the bootlegs away.

Japan '71 - PLEASE! Anything, even if it's just one CD's worth.

More New York '73 - I'm all for it, as long as you keep Kevin Shirley and his plug-ins far, far away.

Southampton - The bootleg sounds great, with a couple small issues. Would be a poor choice for official release.

There literally is nothing else to choose from, right?? Right? Jimmy did say fairly recently that he had a big vault, or words to that effect. Who knows?

Sean, qtrules, tmtomh and 1 other person like this.
  14. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Oh, there's lots of stuff in there.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Visually Earls Court is cool to see the band; but Robert Plant sounds like he has been gargling Draino. Painful to listen to knowing what a beautifully strong and lyrical voice he could have.

I dont really see the hype for wanting Earls Court. Lots of posing by Robert but bad vocally. My wish is for a "How The East Was Won" type compilation. I dont hold any hope for a complete Osaka show in primo quality. But maybe, just maybe there is enough soundboard and really good audience tape to cobble together another monster.

Sean, tmtomh, jdlaw and 2 others like this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I agree with jdlaw- Plant's voice just about ruins any given '75 show for me...that and I just can't stand the tedious self indulgence of some of those shows. Fourty plus minutes of "Dazed and Confused"? No thanks...
    Yeah, give me a complete, official Knebworth release over Earls Court any day. Knebworth I would actually, you know, watch/listen to.

jdlaw likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There's no way they would release a 40 minute version of D&C or NQ on an official release. It would be heavily edited. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. :)

Plant's voice is rough on that tour though and not much you can do about that. Started off with a cold, voice suffered, got over the cold, voice didn't recover.

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That might be possible but it would never be considered for an official release.

I think he's working on HTWWW anyway so I expect to see a new version of that hitting the streets next year.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think we have to work out what we mean by stuff before we can answer the question. :)

They have a lot of stuff, but probably not a lot of multi-tracked stuff!

tmtomh likes this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I believe that is correct about LA and Long Beach 72. It was a surprise. But it's been a long time since that release and prior to that there wasn't much talk about multi's to the level there has been and there hadn't been as much work done tape vault wise.

We also have Kevin Shirley commenting on what was available and he did not give the impression that there was a lot more to choose from IIRC.

Then we have to deal with the whole, how did they record it if they did record all those shows in 1971 thing because if it's not good enough, in his mind, we probably won't be hearing it. At least not officially :)

21. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

Are there any shows from 1969 or 1970 or 1971 that were fully filmed professionally in any capacity that could be restored?

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Judging by their typical reissue campaign m.o. any HTWWW release will likely have a companion disc of sorts. I doubt we'll get any of the covers or the full WLL unfortunately.

tmtomh likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well RAH 70 was filmed. There's also the never ending Bath rumours and we know we have 20 minutes with no sound of mostly back stage footage. But I don't think there's much else in terms of properly officially attempted to be filmed from that era. I can't remember which website the list of known or rumoured to exist filmed stuff is. I do remember seeing it though.

24. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Ahhhh, but being there in March of 1975, in Dallas:

I didn't notice Plant's voice being rough.

I loved the March 4th presentation of D&C.

The spectacle of it all overcame any vocal shortcomings.

But, I do realize, that a recording or video will never deliver the 3 Dimensional, or dare I say 4 Dimensional experience, that a Led Zeppelin concert like will bring... :ed:

Sean, snkcube, giantleech and 2 others like this.
  25. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Agreed. Judging by the BBC Sessions reissue, I don’t think we would get “Whole Lotta Love” unchopped, but there’s definitely a lot to choose from as far as extras go.

Also, for anyone who cares about this stuff, here’s a list of confirmed and rumored multi-tracked shows. Some of the rumored ones contradict Page’s claim of no multis before RAH ‘70. I also think it would be safe to move Japan ‘71 to the “conformed” list, at least the Osaka shows. Credit goes to willoughby on the Zeppelin forums for finding (compiling?) this list:

Known:
    ·1970.01.09 -- Royal Albert Hall, London, England, UK -- Officially released in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
    ·1971.04.01 -- Paris Theatre, London, England, UK -- Concert recorded for John Peel's In Concert series; officially released in 1997 on BBC Sessions.
    ·1972.06.25 -- The Forum, Inglewood, California, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on How the West Was Won.
    ·1972.06.27 -- Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on How the West Was Won.
    ·1973.01.22 -- The Old Refectory, Southampton University, Southampton, England, UK -- Rough multi-track mixdown bootlegged in 2007; officially released (in part, mellotron intro to "Stairway to Heaven") in 2003 on How the West Was Won.
    ·1973.07.27 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 1976 on The Song Remains the Same.
    ·1973.07.28 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 1976 on The Song Remains the Same.
    ·1973.07.29 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 1976 on The Song Remains the Same.
    ·1975.05.23 -- Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
    ·1975.05.24 -- Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
    ·1975.05.25 -- Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
    ·1979.08.04 -- Knebworth House, Hertfordshire, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
    ·1979.08.11 -- Knebworth House, Hertfordshire, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
    ·2007.12.10 -- O2 Arena, London, England, UK -- Officially released in 2012 on Celebration Day.

Potential:
    ·1971.09.28 -- Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan -- This concert is widely believed to have been multi-tracked.
    ·1971.09.29 -- Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan -- This concert is widely believed (and very likely) to have been multi-tracked.

10/17/69 Carnegie Hall shows in NYC are confirmed as being multitracked through Eddie Kramer.

6/29/29 RAH shows are rumored to be multitracked.
    9/23 and 9/24 71 Tokyo confirmed mulitracked on 2 8 track machines using 2 inch tape.
    9/28 and 9/29 Osaka are confirmed also, same equipment as Tokyo.
    Japan 71 recordings are confirmed here from an interview in Crossbeat magazine.
    http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/view ... 0&start=50
    Jimmy Page himself or Peter Grant confirmed one of the Surrey shows in 68 was multitracked. I don't recall if the date was 10/15 or 10/25 since they played shows at Surrey University on both dates.

Sean, marmalade166, Tone_Boss and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.