Something Wrong: Rega Brio and Klipsch R-15M

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

Anxiously awaited receiving both these new components. Seriously underwhelmed, even disappointed. The Klipsch speakers start to distort at about the 11:00 mark on volume dial. Playing CD Kind of Blue is a mess the trumpet really starts to distort. Playing Bernstein's CD of Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue same thing, but with clarinet. And the entire orchestra is mush at just 11:00. No fine nuances no brilliant sound stage.

Are these speakers totally mis-matched to the Rega? I used Klipsch speakers before and found then excellent except lacking a bit in bass. Never this sorta issue. Is the amp the issue?

I'm perplexed. These are sensitive speakers and can take a lot more watts than the Rega can put out. I'd not expect distortion at only 11:00. On some loud sections it starts at 9:00. The volume control starts 0 of at 6:00 so we're talking 20%-30% volume levels here.

What's going on???

2. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

Couple questions.

What else is in the system?
    At what estimated as spl do you think this is distorting?

Couple thoughts.
    Make sure you're not putting your CD line out into your phono Jack which is the first Rca.
    I could think of better matches amp speaker matches but this still should not be happening. Your amp deserves better set of speakers

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's hard to say from here. Are both the speakers and the amp new or is some of it used? Were they returns from a large on-line shop?

To isolate the amp, you need to try a different pair of speakers. Likewise for the speakers, a different amp should be instructive.

I am not a Klipsch speaker fan myself. Even the big, classic stuff they call the Heritage Series today isn't really my cup of tea. But distortion isn't a problem with those and I have found the Brio to be the best suited amplifier for them that have tried, and I have tried a lot of different amps with them.
    -Bill

Jacob29 likes this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Oh, yeah. That would do it...
    :thumbsup:
    -Bill

Dennis Metz likes this.
  5. Rattlin' Bones

CD is into #2 RCA.

SPL I don't know how to estimate. It distorts before it gets really uncomfortable.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yeah, it would have sounded like crap, pretty much right away, if you had plugged a CD player into the phono inputs. Really, you should be able to reach 12 o'clock without noticeable distortion. That said, most amps will nearly max out at that point and clip much beyond it as a typical line input level is designed to drive them to near full output at the mid point in volume control range. That way, you still have more volume control range if you have the odd component with lower than typical output connected to it. In any case, you shouldn't be playing a system to the point where it becomes "uncomfortable". That results in hearing damage if not equipment damage. You'll need to perform the tests that I mentioned to determine which component is causing it.
    -Bill

Jacob29 likes this.
  7. Rattlin' Bones

Cambridge CD Transport. Schiit Dac. Honesty, a TubeDepot 3watt TubeCube amp and their tiny 1" tweeter 3"bass speakers sounded better.

8. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I hate to ask the obvious but how loud is it before the problem?

11:00 seems really loud for a highly efficient speakers and a real 50 watt amplifier.

On my setup with 91dB/w/1m speakers 9:00 is really loud. (Not a Brio, but another British integrated and a Schiit dac)

Is it distorting when it is already very loud? Or is it distorting when it's not loud at all?

There are free apps to measure spl with your phone. Also try another input.

Good luck.

Ro-Go, tyler8 and Jacob29 like this.
  9. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Yikes. I don't want to get into the whole break-in period, but when I auditioned the Brio at my local audio shop, the owner insisted on 200-300 hours break in. He said it sounded just okay until the first 100 hours.

10. Rattlin' Bones

Distorting when fairly loud but not so loud it's unbearable. No distortion when not loud.

They're 80 watt high sensitive speakers on an excellent 50 watt amp. You're saying I should not expect to get up to even 50% amp output without distortion on these speakers?

11. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

To be completely honest I think your probably asking more from $150 pair of speakers then is reasonable. I would recommend the test that kt88 recommended

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Dennis Metz likes this.
  12. Douglas Lam

Douglas Lam Forum Resident

13. Whooptee

Whooptee Well-Known Member

When I got my Rega Brio, I hooked up my speakers and had a similar experience. It turned out that the speaker posts on the Brio are side to side + and -, not up and down like on most amps and I didn't notice. Once switched to the proper positions, all was good. Not one of my best moments. :eek:

struttincool likes this.
  14. Rattlin' Bones

15. Rattlin' Bones

I think Jacob29 nailed it. Which is odd: I tried a pair a while ago and liked except for bass response. But yuck these sound bad.

And yes it seems issue is the speakers. I plugged them in to my system in other room with Peachtree Nova65 SE amp and NAD CD player. Same issue at about 11:00. Distortion city on Mile's horn. A mess with full ensembles. My very old never refurbed floor-standing Grafyx speakers, on other hand, just wow. No issues playing same CD.

So I'm hunting for a better pair of bookshelf (14" tall max) speakers. I thought at 93-94db sensitivity and 80 or so watts rated, the Klipsch speakers would be the ticket. I hoped for lots of response at lower volume levels, since I'm using on my large writing desk about 5' apart from each other and 3' from me. Well, not really, and at about 25%-30% volume they start to distort using an excellent 85 watt Peachtree amp and also an even more awesome 50 watt Raga amp.

Now, I'm looking for new speakers to pair with Rega Brio amp. KEF Q150 ? Elac Debut B6? Audiophile speakers under $700 ???

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  16. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

Personally at $700 I would be looking at used ls50 over q150. You can also get Factory refurb ls50s for $750 with full warranty. However I am biased I love my ls50. Or what about Klipsch rp-600m sideways.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    sturgus, dreamingtree1855 and Art K like this.
  17. Douglas Lam

Douglas Lam Forum Resident

Oops, my bad. Anyway, yes, I think like others have said, your Brio deserves a better speaker. Don't let a good amp go to waste. Let it shine!

18. Rattlin' Bones

I'm looking at Dali Spektor 2 speakers. About half the KEF price. What HiFi rated them #2overall "budget" speaker and said "Let them run in over a couple of days and supply them with a good system (we use Marantz’s CD6006 CD Player and Rega’s Brio amplifier alongside our usual reference Naim NDS/555PS and Gamut pre/power combination) and these speakers sparkle. Our usual recommendations of Onkyo’s A-9010 (£200), the Marantz PM6006(£280) or Rega’s Brio (£600) will all work well." Well, they mention the Rega Brio twice with The Spektors so that seems a solid recommendation.

Now, with the KEF Q350, What HiF had a few cons: Lack some punch and drive and not best at low volumes. My environment for this set-up is low volume.

I can send the Klipsch back (Amazon rocks!!!) and order the Dali's and have them here this weekend.

Tell me what you think. Comments appreciated.

19. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

i think you need to get out of the sub-$350 price point. no inexpensive speakers at that point are going to be that great.

i fully agree you should look at kef q150 or q350 -- these would be in a different league.

20. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I would consider Fyne Audio speakers. Gene Rubin sells them and he stands by what he sells.

21. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

The Infinity Reference 162 is on sale at Harman for about the price of these Klipsch.

22. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Hi...
    Maybe I'm too late to this thread but here's my view.
    If you don't address what I'm about to say you'll still have the same issue,to a lesser or worse degree.

Your DAC is putting out at least 2.0v(& you'll be lucky if it's that low!),the Rega Brio's inputs are:Input 2-5 (line) input sensitivity = 210mV at 47kΩ.
    So this is why anything pass 9-9:30 on the volume dail distorts,there are thousands of owners who cannot use their volume dails pass this mark, probably hundred a of thousands actually.
    It's the output of the DAC clipping the input of the Amp but there are ways around this,the best would be to use interconnect with attention applied to better match your output & input sensitive.

-evo777

sturgus and patient_ot like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If that is true seems like a major oversight on the part of Rega.

24. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Most if not all manufacturers that make their Amplifer's like this,I could be wrong but I remember reading years ago that the average is about 500mv. I know my old Musical Fidelity Amps were all 300mv, you'll be lucky to find a mass produced amp at anything above 750mv I'd say.

-evo777

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have heard of too low sensitivity of integrated amp inputs causing problems, but it seems the Rega is unusually low at 210mV. IIRC my integrated is 370 or 470mV. I don't have a problem with my DAC distorting things and I'm pretty sure my DAC's output is a bit over 2V.

AFAIK one would have to probably move to something like a separate pre and power amp to get those higher sensitivity numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.