Something Wrong: Rega Brio and Klipsch R-15M

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Funny you should mention that. I've run decks with no VTA adjustment before, so I know how to shim a cartridge at the tonearm end and work around it. That said, recently I got a new deck with very easy VTA adjustment, I doubt I would go back to anything that doesn't have this feature in the future. Ease of use goes a long way toward satisfying me personally.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It should be loud enough to damage your ears before reaching this point. Attenuators help but in my experience do other harm to the sound.

3. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

You know the funny thing I just searched the "Rothwell Attenuators" on here &,(here it comes but I'll say it)........ it's quite possible that "some'' who experienced negative results may just have used them the wrong way around.....this could've been the reason for bad worse sound quality...... maybe?

But still it's about the OP & him giving as much help & advise as possible.

-evo777

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No, the attenuators I used were a different brand and there was only one way to plug them in. Rothwell sells a lot of attenuators and will even tell you that attenuators can degrade sound quality. They are a valid solution for some people in some situations. However, I don't think they are the proper solution for OP in this case.

Classicrock likes this.
  5. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

Further evidence it's the Klipsch speakers: hooked up $99 pair of 3" Dream Box speakers from Tube Depot. 80 watts and 90db sensitivity. No distortion up through 1:00. I can't stand them any louder so I don't know if they distort at 100%. But they sure do perform better than the Klipsch in this area. Now, I'm not commenting on their musicality or sound stage or dynamics or bass/ treble sound. Just distortion, which is non-existent using Rega Brio and Schiit DAC. This kinda blows up theory it's the DAC's output compared to Rega Brio input sensitivity.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Again, Fyne Audio speakers defy their budget price. Talk to a dealer that sells the Brio and Fyne.

7. Rattlin' Bones

I'm buying everything via Amazon Prime so if I don't like I just return no hassles. I didn't see Fyne there. But thanks anyway!

8. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Gene Rubin is easier to work with than Amazon. Easy returns, great advice and quality. Seriously...don’t buy crap just because you have to go Amazon.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  9. Rattlin' Bones

There was a speaker maker a custom builder I think in Northeast? I can't remember his name. Sold nice monitors and speakers at very excellent good prices. As I recall most were around 90db sensitivity. Anybody know the name?

patient_ot likes this.
  10. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Amazon.com.

Tannoy Revolution Mini. $699
    Monitor Audio Bronze 2. $399
    Dali Spektor or Oberon bookshelf.

I would expect any of these to sound better than the klipsch although I am hearing big praise for the Klipsch RP-600M speakers.

11. Rattlin' Bones

Adding Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers to my short list. $499.

Galactus2, Jacob29 and patient_ot like this.
  12. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I heard the new Linton speakers at a Audio Shop before all the covid-19 mess.

If the Denton's have a similar family sound they would be very enjoyable.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Was it either of these?

Holt Hill

Holt Hill Audio – Bringing studio quality sound to the home

Human Speakers

Welcome

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I was starting to think it was the speakers, based on the comments I posted about max input. In any case, sounds like you need to try some different speakers. Hopefully that solves the issue for you.

15. Rattlin' Bones

patient_ot likes this.
  16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Those Klipsch speakers may be suboptimal for a Brio and may not be top quality overall, but I find it difficult to believe they could sound as described unless they were damaged/defective.

17. hman

hman Forum Resident

18. hman

hman Forum Resident

I have a pair of Ascend Acoustic Sierra 1s that are just sitting in my office. I plan on selling them. I don't want to ship, because I don't have the original packaging. Too bad, because they are amazing. See if you can find a used pair.

19. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

KEF Q350 or Wharfedale Denton would be a good (and very British!) match.

20. Rattlin' Bones

I purchased both the Dali Spektor 2 ($349) and Wharfedale 80th Anniversary Dentons ($450). I'll try both out and see which one I like best. The loser I will return to seller.

Spec-wise, the Dali's are a bit lighter in bass response and also sensitivity, so in theory the Denton's should sound better. We'll see. The Dali's arrive today/ Wharfedale's next week. I don't anticipate same distortion issues that prompted me to start this thread. Heck I'm listening to Dave Eshelman's Jazz Garden Big Band "Milagro's Journey" CD right now on $99 Tube Depot Dream Box 3" speakers and I can crank up to 12:00 which is way louder than my ears can stand, and still no distortion. The Klipsch really failed.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I really hope one of these speakers works out for you.

22. Rattlin' Bones

It'd be nice to hear clear and rich music with no distortion from a Brio/ speaker combo yes!!!

patient_ot likes this.
  23. Rattlin' Bones

Dali's delivered by Amazon today. Much better than the Klipsch. No distortion even at point my ears say NO MORE !!!!

But ya know what - I just ain't digging the sound powered by the Brio. Any larger ensemble sound sounds mushy. So ya know what - I hooked up the Dali's to a little Tube Depot TubeCube 7. This is a $199 little tube amp putting out 3 watts. OMG. The Dali's woke up. Wow. I'm listening to a Grant Green CD right now and it's magic. The Rega may be going back, too. The little $199 tube amp is kicking its butt.

This is 2nd TubeCube7 I've had. The first one had issues with seating tubes. Tube Depot happily replaced it. What great service. And what a little gem of a pure Class A tube amp.

24. Rattlin' Bones

Thought I owed an update. I kept the Denton's and the Brio. That turned out best combination. The TubeCube is a very nice amp for the $199, and it's fun to roll tubes with it, but I'm just not getting enough out of it with less sensitive speakers compared to the Brio after several weeks of listening and breaking in. The Brio does much better with speakers below 90 in sensitivity. Listened to a lot of jazz over the last few weeks and the Denton+Brio combo are the winners for me in my small office. I also tried my Peachtree Nova 65SE and it did a good job, too, with Denton's.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. Nycamc

Nycamc Active Member

Good call keeping the Brio! It is an amazing little amp with loads of details and "punch," for lack of a better description. That punch makes you wanna just get up and move with the music. I have the Brio and KEF Q150 myself and it is a sweet combo--all the grooviness and details in a huge, enveloping sound (the concentric drivers sounds really well matched for my space).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.