Something you don't see everyday : Thorens TD-124 with DIY linear tracking arm!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Feb 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

emenel likes this.
  2. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Here's a thought: chuck the arm in the bin and buy the deck.

:cool:

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Some would argue the arm could sound terrific as a linear one is theoretically better.

4. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

But that one? Looking at the picture, it doesn't seem to fulfil its core function on the horizontal plane.

bever70 likes this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I quite like the straightforward approach taken with the arm, not pretty, but it looks like it will do the job, not so sure about the high grade phono cable though.:laugh:

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I think the concept was good but the execution was less so.

John Landreth likes this.
  7. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

Straight line tracking arms weren’t particularly unusual in the 70s and a buddy had one that I think was called a Rabco? Garrard even had a turntable that had one but can’t recall the model number. Never heard one that sounded good though

8. John Landreth

It takes a few minutes to remember specifics when you get older but I believe the Rabco arm was an ST-8 and the Garrard table was called the zero 100.The arms I remember always seemed to have a lot of play in the bearings Which I suppose was to minimize friction

John Buchanan likes this.
  9. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I want that table but that arm no thanks it is DIY and looks DIY. But great price for just the table I am strongly considering it.

jusbe likes this.
  10. John Landreth

I’d consider a Garrard 301 or 401 over a 124 . Depends on operational and cosmetic condition

11. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I sure as heck wouldn't discount the arm w/o hearing it first, people may be surprised at what an ugly arm can achieve.

Album changes look a little treacherous though.

TarnishedEars and ggergm like this.
  12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

It was almost impossible to get the Rabco to track right. I tried...and tried...and tried. I could get it track correctly for an album or two but then the next record would require constant tweaking of the arm. The Rabco was a disaster.

What seems to be missing from this DIY arm is what is moving it across the record? Is it being dragged across by the record groove? It almost has to be. I see no motor. The only time I've ever heard of that working on a linear tracker is when the arm is riding on air. Literally. It's floating on air. This arm is rolling on bearings. Not quite the same thing.

With two levels on that arm, maybe the idea is you align the arm so it is rolling downhill. Let gravity move the tonearm across the record. Now that would be a truly unique idea.

13. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

ah the days when you could pick up a TD124 , 301 , 401 , sp10 for loose change & dealers could not give them away

14. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Wondered the same thing myself about the motion without a motor. It is possible a slight incline is at play but that would be a challenge for warps I'd think.

I wonder if there is any sort of spring between the arm and carriage.

15. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

If the mechanics are right the groove will pull the arm along for the ride. Souther LT tonearms are the same way. If everything is setup correctly and dust free they work great. I would never have one as they are to fussy.
    I do like LT turntables though and enjoy my rebuilt Yamaha PX-3 LT. That uses a motor and belt to advance the tonearm as soon as it gets 0.15 degree out of tangent.

BillWojo

16. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Yikes - yes! It's the standard cheapo thing that comes with practically every mid-range piece of equipment. I must have thrown away a dozen of them over the years. :D

17. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

As noted there is the Souther arm that is non-air-bearing, as well as others such as the Clearaudio TT5. Implemented properly (bearings protected from dust, a special rolling surface) they work quite well. The issue I see with this arm is bearing quality and what it is riding on. I expect it would exert excessive force (i.e., wear) on one side of the LP groove or the other. Still props for ingenuity.

JohnK

18. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

From the CAM description it sounds like it's been totally rebuilt. If so I think that's a darn good price. Not going to last very long.

BillWojo

19. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Agreed...even the grease in the bearings would cause resistance...

20. Strat-Mangler

Then I guess I should hit up the seller for a 5% commission. :D

eddiel, Phil Thien and jonwoody like this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Love the turntable. The linear arms for me, are too many moving parts, too much complexity in search of a theory. A SME 3012 for me tracks as well as 99% of linears, has far less to go wrong. Personal perspective aside, this is a nicely executed DIY linear arm, and it looks very well made, and well thought out. I love the DIY spirit of audio, and glad to see this one.

22. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I've always heard good things about the Trans-Fi Terminator, and I believe that started life an arm for the developer's Lenco, before he went on to make his own turntable, the Salvation.

https://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

[​IMG]

23. Strat-Mangler

I know @vinyldoneright has one such arm. He even suggested I get myself one in another thread of mine. Seems to enjoy his quite a bit.

24. gov

gov Forum Resident

VERY good price. If I was in the market I’d be all over that. I love my 124.

25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I had a Terminator on a TNT (as well as an Eminent Technology ET2 before it). Generally a well-thought-out design, but I could never eliminate the last bit of chatter in the sled caused by air-pump pulses. I know I could have fixed it with a compressor/tank setup, but by that time I was tiring of the extra hassle of air bearings.

Are they actually shipping these again? It's not clear from the website.

JohnK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.