Something you don't see everyday : Thorens TD-124 with DIY linear tracking arm!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Feb 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

2. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I love the Thorens, but do you think that the arm might be an early prototype for something else?

jusbe likes this.
  3. Wal92tt

Wal92tt Member

4. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Theory is one thing, reality another. Linear has advantages and disadvantages. I go for the simplest tools to do my job, as I am the repair technician who must keep it operational out of warranty and maintained. The best linear arms are superb, but also complex.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I am with the bunch that wants to get rid of the arm and put a 3009 instead.

7. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

No motor. Too much friction. Won't stay perpendicular to groove.

8. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

How do you set the tracking force with that arm?

9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Add more or less coins?

10. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

There are MANY versions of linear arms, some, like the ClearAudio arm rely on very low friction to allow the groove to pull the arm along a linear track, some rely on air to suspend the arm in a nearly frictionless state for the groove to again pull the arm along. Others, allowed for a tiny amount of pivoting, like a conventional arm, but a sensor would detect the position of the arm being no longer tangent to the groove and a motor would then pull the arm into the correct position. The Garrard used two arms and 4 pivots to cause the offset angle of the headshell to change to maintain tangency. Reed and Shroeder use a more or less conventional pivoted tonearm that sits on a base that rotates and moves the arm pivot point (based on the Thales circle geometry. I've seen most of these arm types and I once owned an air-bearing version myself. These arms tend to be complex and prone to failure. Also, while they cure the "problem" with conventional arms being only tangent to the groove at two points, they have their own set of compromises.

I would only be interested in the Reed T-5 arm myself, except I cannot justify the $18,000 price.

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Zero 100....awful

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The Trans-Fi, which is based on or similar to the arm shown on that Thorens, is supposed to sound terrific.
    I've been using this arm since around 2006-7 and it's wonderful sounding; currently paired with a stone bodied Koetsu:

[​IMG]

13. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

I have a Souther SLA-3 linear arm on a SOTA Sapphire. Really like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.