Sometime In New York City (Ultimate Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mollusk, May 19, 2021.

1. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION Thread Starter

So, basically in the most under the radar announcement of something I’ve ever seen, the John Lennon official Instagram confirmed that the STINYC Ultimate Mix will be coming in 2022.

Link To The Post

[​IMG]

Honestly this is hilarious how it’s been confirmed like this but I love it.

2. Mollusk

Oh and this leads the question, do y’all think that this means a Mind Games set in 2023?

3. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

I desire a DVD of "Ten For Two", the doc. about J&Y performance at the John Sinclair benefit, but there's no precedent for a visual component in this series, correct? Does LIVE JAM include the 1969 P.O.B. concert in its entirety?

4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The same copyright deadlines that encourage a Some Time in New York City release in 2022 apply to Mind Games in 2023.

5. Mollusk

That’s true, I forgot about copyright deadlines!

905 and fluffskul like this.
  6. Mollusk

So if that’s the case, then I’ll bet that we’ll get our last Ultimate Mix in 2030, since I bet they’re gonna mix Double Fantasy and Milk & Honey

Swansong and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  7. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Hopefully the 1972 One To One concerts will be remastered and released on blu-ray with a 5.1 mix.

8. Benny S

Benny S Felt Forum Resident

If ever there was an album that merited an unpublicised, available-for-a-few-hours-and-then-deleted copyright extension release only....

9. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

Yes and no.

Yes, the entire POB set was released but had 1972 overdubs from Klaus Voormann and Nicky Hopkins.

...and no, because the entire show was recorded... this is what Mark Lewisohn had to say...

An altogether different task was tackled in the evening:
    the location recording by EMI of a Plastic Ono Band concert
    at the Lyceum Ballroom, the dance-hall situated just off The
    Strand in central London. Geoff Emerick produced the
    recording, which was engineered by Peter Bown and John
    Kurlander. They taped the entire concert, featuring the Hot
    Chocolate Band, the Pioneers, the Rascals, Jimmy Cliff,
    Black Velvet – even disc-jockey Emperor Rosko's between-
    acts records – before reaching the Plastic Ono Band's closing
    set of `Cold Turkey' (nearly seven minutes) and `Don't
    Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking For Her Hand In
    The Snow)' (an epic 16 minutes).

I'd love to hear the whole show but I guess rights issues ensures it will remain locked in the vaults.

10. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Already looking forward to this.

11. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I'm happy they're moving ahead with this excellent series. If they're willing to do this album then they're doing them all.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If they include the whole Zappa show it would be worth getting

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Like Plastic Ono Band, if the bluray came out separately, I would be on it. I enjoy 5.1 mixes.
    I think the boxes are really well done, and I enjoy the Imagine box, but I just don't see me buying every Lennon album, in a big ol' box format....
    Now a Double Fantasy/Milk and Honey box, yea I reckon I would be in on that one

14. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

I can’t wait. Hoping for the complete One to One concert, the complete Zappa encore, more out takes with Elephants Memory and David Peel.
    Demo tapes of the John n Yoko tunes.
    Maybe the live tunes done on the Mike Douglas show.

15. Mollusk

I know that STINYC isn’t the most well loved John album, but I do like it despite all it’s flaws. I showed some friends the announcement and we made a few theories about what would be on it, but there’s obviously no way to know lol

16. Philip Gruber

Agreed, if they mix it like Zappa did on Playground Psychotics getting rid of the overdubs, and restore the missing sections and Flo and Eddie's vocals.

Unfortunately, they might restore Yoko's vocals in the mix... one look/listen to the video where she squawks continually throughout is not one of her finer moments and is very distracting and obnoxious so they did us a favour removing a lot of her parts.

17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

"They taped the entire concert, featuring the Hot Chocolate Band, the Pioneers, the Rascals, Jimmy Cliff, Black Velvet – even disc-jockey Emperor Rosko's between-
    acts records..."

Man, not to downplay this deluxe edition and all that, but getting a chance to hear the live recordings of these acts sounds more exciting to me!

18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

19. slane

slane Forum Resident

John's vocals on Cold Turkey were overdubbed too.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I know video exists of their segment with Zappa - that should go on the Blu Ray. Lyceum might have been shot for video too, not sure.

Could also consider including the TV performances they did with Elephants Memory of lots of this material - mostly on Mike Douglas - and the Chuck Berry sit in on Memphis

phillyal1 likes this.
  21. Philip Gruber

Only a small excerpt was captured by Movietone News cameras. Given this was a period where John and Yoko seemed to be obsessed with documenting on film, it would be surprising if they didn't have somebody film the event for them but not heard/read anything suggesting that ever happened and if they had, I'm sure we'd have seen a piece of it by now.

Swansong and Rfreeman like this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thanks - makes sense why I was unclear about whether Lyceum footage existed. I thought I recalled seeing a brief clip in a Lennon documentary (maybe that one focused on his activism and the deportation effort) but knew I had never seen the whole thing.

Oddly if they were to really mine the related film and video available of tunes from this show and stuff on the live jam disc - and present it in optimal resolution - even keeping the MSG stuff for a separate release - this could be one of the most appealing archive boxes, though there is close to consensus it is his most disappointing LP.

Philip Gruber likes this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

This album is nowhere near as bad as it’s been made out to be over the years, many of its supposedly “dated” songs sadly could have been ripped from today’s headlines, and the remix of “Angela” on Gimme Some Truth demonstrates how, more than any other album in John’s catalog, this album could benefit from an Ultimate Mix. I hope this actually happens. I’ll buy pre-order on day one if it does happen.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is certainly the most in need of a remix album - presuming a remix could save it from the murky sludge. Spector often recorded in a way that put heavy reverb right onto the basic tracks in a way that can't readily be undone. But they did quite a nice job rescuing I Don't Want To Be A Soldier, which gives some hope.

25. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The previous remix is excellent. It dramatically altered my view of the record.