Somewhat Obscure, Pre First Album Singles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Feb 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Rufus had an almost funny singing voice up until mid-1990s. If you've never seen it, look up the music video for "Betters times are coming" with him, Kate & Anna on Youtube. It's from 1991 and I feel so bad but I laugh every time I hear his solo on that one.

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'll check it out, thanks!

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::righton:

4. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

How about a group *ending* their career with an obscure post-album single?

The Hassles (with Billy Joel) released a cover of “Great Balls of Fire” b/w “Travelin’ Band”(1969). This single followed their second and final LP, “Hour of the Wolf” in 1968.

The flip side wasn’t the Creedence Clearwater Revival song. The ‘A’ side sounded similar to what Attila sounded like. In fact, Attila formed as this single faded away, and lasted for about one year.

5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Bip Bop Bip' - Pretty Boy (1957) aka Don Covay (with Grady Gaines and the Upsetters)

DTK likes this.
  6. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Here's Olivia Newton-John's debut from 1966 -- five years before her first solo album. "Till You Say You'll Be Mine" b/w "For Ever."

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Julie Andrews, age 12, singing "Polonaise" from Starlight Roof. A 78rpm record from 1947. She released a couple of 78rpm records when she was 12-13 years old, a number of years before she made her Broadway debut in The Boyfriend in 1954.

8. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Carly Simon released quite a lot of music with her sister Lucy in the 1960s, billed as The Simon Sisters. They released three albums as a folk duo before Carly headed off to pursue a solo career. Here's a song from a 1964 single called "Cuddlebug."

9. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Dusty Springfield had quite a career before she became well-known. Some of her earliest recordings were made with a group that called themselves The Lana Sisters. Here's a single from 1958 they made called "Chimes of Arcady."

10. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Lee Dorsey - 'Rock' (1959) on Rex Records, a label founded by Cosimo Matassa

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  11. Ratt - “Drivin’ on E”/“Dr Rock”

This self-released single came out in 1980, four years before their major label debut, when they were still called Mickey Ratt although it just says Ratt on the label. Not a heck of a lot different than their later sound, although production-wise it sounds like it might’ve been recorded live in a garage.

primejive likes this.
  12. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Please be True' - Sugar Pie (1955)

she recorded for Chess/Checker Records as Sugar Pie DeSanto in the 1960s

13. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

The Carpenters 1967 (credited to Karen).Only 500 copies were pressed. Would love to see it pressed again for RSD in the future even though it is available on CD.

primejive and Tones like this.
  14. Tones

Tones Resident Resident

The Bangles (as The Bangs) "Getting Out of Hand"

15. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I believe it was only available as a cassette, but an earlier version of The Cars' "just what i needed" / "best friend's girl" came out in 1977 and got decent airplay in Boston

16. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

They had a demo tape which got local radio airplay, but I don't think it was available commercially. Here is "Just What I Needed":

"My Best Friend's Girl": link

primejive and boggs like this.
  18. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

Also the Spiders first single "Why Don't You Love Me?" which charted locally (Arizona)

pauluz likes this.
  19. trednour

trednour Forum Resident

Dr John (Mac Rebennack) had quite a few singles before "The Night Tripper" era. Here's a rockin' little ditty called "Storm Warning" (edit to add: from 1959) That's the good doctor on guitar. He'd switch to piano after the tip of his finger got shot off (true story). This would pair nicely with his Sippiana Hericane, the post-Katrina album. In fact, the first part of the "Wade Hurricane Suite" is also titled "Storm Warning."

20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I love this song

WithinYourReach likes this.
  21. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Sam & Dave - 'Lotta Lovin'

recorded ca. 1961, produced by Steve Alaimo; the song that had been a 1957 hit for Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps. Sam & Dave had other singles released on the Marlin and Roulette labels prior to their first release on Stax in 1965.

22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Poor Willie' - the Parliaments (1959)

first album - 'Osmium' by Parliament (1970) with two original members, George Clinton and Grady Thomas

23. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Arthur Lee & the L.A.G.s - 'The Ninth Wave' (1963)

Arthur Lee - organ; Johnny Echols - guitar

24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

The Chambers Brothers Quartet - 'I Trust in God' (1962)

25. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

(Paul McNeill &) Linda Peters - 'I'll Show You How to Sing' (1968)

Linda, later of Richard & Linda Thompson

Last edited: May 31, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.