Songs disliked by artists themselves

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndrewK, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Which, IIRC, was only intended to be a b-side (‘I’d Be Far Better Of Without You’ being the original top side).

I thought it was ‘Long Live Love’ she wasn’t keen on whatsoever..,

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident Thread Starter

as Madonna got older, distancing herself from Like a Virgin would maybe make more sense

also on topic, in an interview posted on sleazeroxx website, CJ Snare (of Firehouse) seems not too happy about being known for "Love of a Lifetime", but I think that has more to do with them being known mostly for that ballad.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  3. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I've heard that Jim Morrison got sick of singing "Light My Fire" (heard it from a few, including his sister on a YouTube interview).. He did write the 2nd verse, but I guess it's Robby's song. I read Jim say "Tell All The People" is a dumb song, which started the separate writing credits, since he didn't want to be associated with the line, "Get your guns"

JDeanB likes this.
  4. MHam

MHam Give Me Bass Relief

Listen to his singing as Strangers fades out. His voice is dripping with contempt.

5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I doubt it. Speaking of Selling England by the Pound, Gabriel said he hated singing I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) and, honestly, I don’t really blame him. It’s an uninteresting piece and one of their weakest from the earlier days. Having a hit single just wasn’t their thing at the point. Boy, did this change once Gabriel and Hackett left.

6. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Ian Anderson has pointed out on a number of occasions how he loathed "Living in the Past": "To be honest, I've always loathed and detested that song. In fact, when it was first a hit, I used to hide in a corner and cringe. But the guys in the band now are keen to play it, and you know, I'm beginning to grow accustomed to the damn thing."

7. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

I saw U2 on their 1st tour of the USA in support of Boy...they performed I Will Follow twice in their show. No complaints were heard!

Michael Macrone and Tuco like this.
  8. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

He did sing the a capella intro to Dancing With The Moonlit Knight on the tour with Sting in 2016, but at one show only (Sting sang it the rest of the tour). He also sang I Know What I Like once in 1983 when he and Mike Rutherford joined Steve Hackett on stage at a Hackett gig.

Oddly enough, he did want to resurrect the entire Supper's Ready around the time of the Up tour (2002-ish), but was talked out of it by Tony Levin and David Rhodes.

brunofaetten likes this.
  9. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I can understand retrospective hate for a song, but if you can't stand it from the beginning, why release it out in the first place?

Terrapin Station likes this.
  10. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Didn't Billy Joel dislike playing 'She's Always a Woman'?
    Rick(y) Nelson was depressed because the public (only) wanted him to play his old hits.
    Levon Helm (although he did not write the song) never performed 'The Night They Drove Dixie Down' after The Band broke up in 1978.

MadMelMon likes this.
  11. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Great band. This is my least favorite track of theirs. Glad to know Mark doesn’t like it.

303 Squadron and GowG like this.
  12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Understandable.

13. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Really? Why were they so against it?

14. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Because often the label wants a big hit song, a hook to get people to buy the album. The artist is sometimes then forced to write and record one. The vast majority of artists have zero power or sway over the label... you know, the people financing them and paying them to make an album. So of course the label is going to want something that makes a return on investment.

Tuco likes this.
  15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

But it works as a movie ending!
    THE WALK OF LIFE PROJECT

16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

And because it's a boring song

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

18. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Because they wanted to dress up like flowers too and he wouldn't let them.

anduandi, M321115, Pete Puma and 3 others like this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Dave Alvin made no secret of detesting the Mellencamp song forced on the Blasters, Colored Lights.
    I don't believe it was ever played live.
    I like the song a lot, but it sure ain't the Blasters's sound.

carlwm likes this.
  20. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

To the best of my knowledge, Peter's only played two full Genesis songs: "Back In NYC" and "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway". They were usually played as show closers, and neither made it into the 80s. In fact, his last-ever solo performance of a Genesis song might've been "TLLDOB" at the 1979 Reading Festival, with special guest Phil Collins. More recently, on his joint tour with Sting, the show featured a short snippet of "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight", sung by Sting at every show but one, which was the tour finale in Edmonton.

"I Know What I Like" was basically a Hackett song, btw. They used to jam on the main four-note riff, and finally decided to slap a chorus on it. Hackett would also have a stab at poppier styles in the early 80s, so it's not like he was a complete purist.

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They played it after he left. It’s on the Dark Night in Philly RSD release from a couple years back.

22. brunofaetten

He he, thanks for the corrections - I'm a slow typer. I have the boot of that '83 Hackett show (where they also do "Reach Out (I'll Be There)", right?), but don't think I've heard about the proposed Supper's resurrection. That would've been mighty interesting to hear.

23. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Nope, Sting sang it every show except the finale in Edmonton.

24. brunofaetten

Yeah, that's what I said. You sound crazy. :shh:

SoporJoe likes this.
  25. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Tears For Fears have at various points stated their dislike for the following:

Suffer The Children
    Ideas As Opiates
    Saxophones As Opiates
    Watch Me Bleed
    The Way You Are
    Ghost Papa

I'm sure there are more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.