Songs or albums that annoy you due to poor mixing or mastering.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Tired topic, but I always go back to And Justice for All. Some of the fan edits with 'enhanced bass' or fan recorded bass playing can be a fun alternative listen for variety.

2. The vinyl album I have has The Spiderbite Song as well as Slow Motion (0n an extra side).

I wouldnt be surprised if MFIT has a good sound. Apple always seems to raise the bar in some way, even their use of audio compression is superior to MP3.

Reading on discogs, there seems to be some positive comments about the record. Most of the songs I remember sounded loud and smashed together. In a way that was hard to distinguish what was going on without getting ear ache. There were a few tracks that sounded good though.

3. "Go For Soda" by Kim Mitchell has a weird instrument balance, with the bass way out in front and the vocal towards the back.

4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Placebo's debut...brilliant album but as brittle as hell.

5. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Get it in mono, listen to it on vinyl, and preferably not on a fancy stylus tip. It was made to be played on a Shure M 44-7. On CD, there's the Now Sounds mono singles collection. Either way, you have options.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Yup, I have the mono LP, and it's the schitt!

McLover likes this.
  8. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

Are you serious ? I´ve always thought it was a fantastic sounding record, similar sonically to elvis costello´s This Year´s Model

Youtube of intervention records pressing of
    Is she really going out with him

Intervention clip of
    Sunday Papers
    Joe Jackson "Sunday Papers" Look Sharp Vinyl from Intervention Records

9. What's wrong with this one?

Jarleboy and George P like this.
  10. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

Frank Sinatra - That's Life. After the brightness and clarity of Strangers In The Night, That's Life sounds so flat, muffled and lifeless. Some of Dean Martin's recordings from the same era suffer from the same problems.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Is that due to mixing or mastering?

12. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Ozzy - Black Rain.

My eardrums are tired after 3 somgs.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Too many to list. But if I like them, I don't let those flaws get in the way of my enjoyment.

Jarleboy and Fishoutofwater like this.
  14. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

15. Yeah, like nearly every album of new music since 1992.

16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery

17. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I always thought there was a problem with "Open". It almost sounds as a non Dolby tape played with Dolby on. There's something very strange about that hi hat, the sound of Robert's consonants etc. No other song sounds like it on the album.

Well, two words : Owen Morris.
    He's the producer, don't look any further.
    "Goldfinger" is one hell of a song, but Ash was so overrated back in the day.

Well, if I remember correctly the first CD version had issues - the same I noticed on a pre-recorded cassette from the late 80s. Something muffled - as if one of the two channels wasn't as clear or as loud or the other one.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  18. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Dunno. But the cd sounds overly bright, metallic and saturated.
    I have the three previous albums (with Buckingham & Nicks) on vinyl, and they sound perfectly.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Was there a remaster? I have the original CD and it sounds good.

Dan Steely likes this.
  20. giumag

giumag Forum Resident

Kate Bush - Director's Cut 2011
    so lifeless, muddy, lacks treble and the bass is all wrong. A terrible sound job....
    just listen to 'Flower Of The Mountain' and hear the way the vocal was recorded...
    sort of karaoke... totally detached from the music.

(the 2018 remaster is a little better...)

21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Here's how I rank them:

Original vinyl > Original CD > Remastered CD > Remastered Vinyl

22. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Megadeth - Dystopia
    A lot of fans praised this album, but to me it ended a trend of "good new masters" which started with Endgame on LP, Th1rt3en hi-res and Super Collider hi-res versions. I guess it is one of the factors that prevents me to enjoy that album.
    To a lesser extent, Audioslave - Out of Exile is way to harsh sometimes during heavy "band-effort" parts, original Megadeth - So Far So Good... So What? also got pretty infamous because of its original mix. It's also definitely more compressed than let's say 1986 Peace Sells and 1990 Rust in Peace.

23. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

All the new Beatles mixes that Giles and team have worked on since he took over the Apple controls annoy me. Nothing annoys me more than when something has such great potential, and the opportunity is totally misfired.

24. Mr.La Page

Mr.La Page Smoking with the boys upstairs...

If you've ever heard one note from KISS Hotter Than Hell, you'll know that it's enough to make you want to stick knifes in your ears. :wtf:

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I just never liked the sound of it. When it comes on the radio, it just sounds.....weak. I had the original vinyl as a 10" disc and while I love the songs, I just don't like the sound. Maybe it's just me.
    I never had a problem with This Year's Model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.