Songs That Mention-Grandma-Grandpa

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, Jan 29, 2018.

1. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

It's considerably less than interesting that you are proposing a theory (that those responded would never have responded with definitive statements if I hadn't first made definitive statements) that is completely unprovable. In any event, if we get into discussing what someone would have said, instead of what they did in fact say... well, that way lies madness.

I'm sorry you're a troll. I'm sorry you feel the need to carry a grudge. And regarding other members of this forum, I've seen you picking on a few of them, too, so I know you're in the habit of trolling others with your snide insinuations. I'm telling you -- leave off!

2. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Yes, a big country hit in the '80s and probably the one I should have posted. Always loved Randy's voice.

MikeM likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I can assure you that I hold no grudge against you. That wouldn't be worth the effort it would take.

I think the takeaway from all of this (other than you imagine that making tough-guy threatening statements in a music thread has any effect whatsoever, which I find hilarious) is clear: you will never under any circumstances actually address the substance of this issue — which is that you state your musical opinions as absolute facts, and that you are virtually alone in this practice on this board.

You'll talk about most anything EXCEPT that, won't you? You'll once again ignore this issue entirely in your next post, just as you have in every previous one.

Now, I invite you to have the last word in our little exchange. Please feel free to roll out all of your tough but empty talk one more time, then walk away and congratulate yourself on the great victory you've achieved.

I apologize to everyone else who may still be here for what they've had to endure. But I don't apologize for my original statement, which remains as true (and unchallenged) as it was when I first made it. It was really a rather low-key one, and you might have just replied with something like, "Yeah, I was a little over the top in the way I stated that." And that would have been the end of it.

But you just don't roll that way, do you?

4. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Merry Christmas Everybody - Train (video)

I know other versions have been mentioned. This is my favorite because the video is so
    absolutely hilarious. Reminds me of every family Christmas party with multi-generations
    I was obliged to attend. Even out of season this is a bloody hoot!

MichaelH and mtvgeneration like this.
  5. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Oh, I didn't say you held a grudge against me. But, not to put too fine a Freudian point on it, you must hold a grudge for something from way back, for you to have become the troll you are.

I think the takeaway from all of this (other than you imagine that making tough-guy threatening statements in a music thread has any effect whatsoever, which I find hilarious) is clear: you will never under any circumstances actually address the substance of this issue — which is that you state your musical opinions as absolute facts, and that you are virtually alone in this practice on this board.

You'll talk about most anything EXCEPT that, won't you? You'll once again ignore this issue entirely in your next post, just as you have in every previous one. Now, I invite you to have the last word in our little exchange.[/QUOTE]
    I've already addressed your point with examples of other members, in addition to yourself, making definitive statements that are not moderated with "I think" or "in my opinion" or such. You are attempting to impose a standard upon my freedom of speech that you do not keep yourself to, and that many others in this forum do not follow. That's the definition of picking upon someone (in this case, me), which is something a troll does.

You say I'm an outlier in the way I express myself? Let's look at my Musicians Sporting A Bolo Tie thread for a closer look at how others express themselves in this forum.

Licorice pizza, post #24, lesterbangs, post #151, lonelysea post #166 all posted VERY definitive statements without ameliorating their comments with qualifiers like "in my opinion" or "I think" or such.

In particular, I strongly disagreed with Licorice pizza's statement that Los Lobos were "the only guys who deserved to wear" bolo ties. But did I do what YOU did? Did I troll him with an insult, and further, try to isolate him by telling him he was an "outlier" for expressing himself? No -- that's what a troll, like you MikeM, does. I just quietly went about the business of posting many more examples of musicians, the famous and the not-so-famous, including the sublime but not omitting the ridiculous, to demonstrate the inaccuracy of Licorice pizza's pronouncement.

In saying
    you are attempting to impose a standard upon me that you do not keep yourself to, and many others in this forum do not follow. That's the definition of picking upon someone (in this case, me), which is something a troll does. I strongly disagreed with Licorice pizza's comment in particular, but did I take him to task for his comment or the way he worded it? No, I simply went about the task of quietly providing examples to disprove his statement (without explicitly reference to his highly exclusionary comment), with photos of many more musicians, famous and not-so-famous, from the sublime to the ridiculous. In other words, I didn't attack (troll) him the way you trolled me, because unlike you, I am not a troll.

"...as true as it was..." In other words, UNTRUE.

I don't think you'll find many here at this forum, or indeed, at most forums, who would essentially thank you for insulting them. So don't expect that kind of response from me.

In conclusion, to contribute something towards the topic of this thread, I will mention
    Carly Simon - The Carter Family

6. Mitchy

Mitchy Forum Resident

A great John Mayall song - Grandad from 1971 album Memories.

7. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

New thread -- " songs that mention reindeers :)"

8. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

9. Stereosound

10. Stereosound

11. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

Granny's Mini-Skirt

12. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Moby Grape-Hey Grandma!
    If it's already been mentioned, forgive me, but I can't stand being away from the White Album thread for that long.
    Something completely unimportant and misinterpreted could come up.

13. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

Gary U.S. Bonds - Grandma's Washboard Band

A 1975 single for Gary U.S. Bonds.

"You ain't heard nothing till you heard the sound
    Of grandma's washboard band"

14. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Never Hit Your Grandma With a Shovel

15. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

Roky Erickson - The Singing Grandfather

Recorded live on December 1, 1986, at Holiday Inn Red River in Austin/Texas.
    Released on "The Holiday Inn Tapes" in 1987 on the Fan Club label, a sublabel of the French New Rose Records.

"The singing grandfather will saw off your head
    The singing grandfather will kill you dead
    The singing grandfather will drain you bled"

16. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

Joe Ely - Grandfather Blues

A track from his album "Dig All Night", released on Hightone Records in 1988.

"My own grandfather
    Was a hell of a man
    He rode Rock Island Railroad
    In the blowing sand"

"My own grandmother
    Had a heart of gold
    She had eyes like an angel
    And an ocean for a soul"

17. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Since YouTube moved it, I'll post it again:

18. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I'll re-post this one as well:

19. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

Chris Kenner - Grandma's House

His debut single, released on Sol Rabinowitz' Baton label in 1956.
    Great piano solo, reputedly by Huey Smith.

"At grandma's house
    Yeah, at grandma's house
    Just meet me on the corner
    At twelve o'clock sharp"

20. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

Kelly Pardekooper - Grandma's Rosary

Songwriter born in Iowa City, now based in Indianapolis.
    "Grandma's Rosary" is a track from his album "Brand New Bag", released in 2006 on Leisure Time Records.

"I want to see my grandma's rosary
    All day, hot sun, more working that's never done"

21. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

" Iko Iko " The Dixie Cups (1965)

22. stefane

stefane Forum Resident

Big Head Todd and The Monsters - Ann Arbor Grandfather

Blues rock band from Boulder/Colorado, formed in the mid-eighties.
    "Ann Arbor Grandfather" is a track from their second album "Midnight Radio", released in 1990 on their own Big Records label.

"There's a picture on a wall in Duluth
    Another Grandma has passed away
    Her children rummage through her leavings
    They put them in new boxes
    And they put the new boxes in new attics
    Ann Arbor Grandfather"

23. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

24. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

My favourite band is Let's Eat Grandma who very handily name checked themselves in the opening line of their debut single, Deep Six Textbook. Here's a live television performance of the song from October 2016.

Patanoia likes this.
  25. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Dramarama, "Hey Grandpa" - bonus track on "Hi-Fi Sci-Fi". (How many of the answering machine voices can you identify?)