Songs that rhyme a word with itself

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dlokazip, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Don't Pass Me By" is a classic?

Tom Daniels and willy like this.
  2. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

And like with like?

3. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Four pages in and it’s clear SH.TV doesn’t understand rhyming.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I had always read the lyrics were: "She's got to be herself so she can give us help". However, listening to it, it's hard to tell WHAT he sings! :laugh:

I now hear "She's got to be herself so she can do her job" which doesn't rhyme at all. :shrug:

Uuan likes this.
  5. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

From The Fountain of Salmacis:
    The two are now made one
    Demi-god and nymph are now made one

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Oh, I'm quite sure it was deliberate. There are internal rhymes in all three stanzas.

7. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Having a tin ear can express itself in different ways - not being able to carry a tune, or not being able to tell which syllables are being stressed and, in turn, being rhymed.

Suncola likes this.
  8. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

The term stems from French, in which feminine adjectives have a short additional syllable compared to their masculine counterparts.

The same term is used in classical poetics to discuss certain metrical patterns.

Bottom line: the term relates to grammatical gender, not human sex.

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

That's your poetry right there.

10. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Van Hagar-Why Can't This be Love?

"Only time will tell if we stand the test of time." Ok, maybe it's not rhyming a word with itself but it's still lazy and awful :D

1983 and Suncola like this.
  11. mojo filter

mojo filter Forum Resident

There does seem to be a lack of clarity here about what rhyme is and what it does. I'm going to try and spell things out. I should warn you that this is going to get pretty pedantic.

First of all, the kind of rhyme people are mostly concerned with here is end rhyme. There are of course other kinds; McCartney’s use of internal rhyme in "Hey Jude" has been noted, and in the larger sense any repetition of similar sounds, as in alliteration and assonance, is a kind of rhyme. (These are all figures of repetition, to use the language of rhetoric.) In some traditions of songwriting, end rhymes are supposed to be exact (pain rhymes with rain, but not with fame), but in most current traditions, if you can hear that it's supposed to rhyme, that's good enough.

People have repeatedly explained here that something like "shake it / break it" isn’t rhyming a word with itself. It's a feminine rhyme, and the unstressed part ("it") is supposed to be the same; what’s important is that the stressed part (shake/break) is different. Part of the confusion, I think, is that idea of stressed vs. unstressed, i.e., accented vs. unaccented, syllables and how they work in the structuring of English verse has become arcane knowledge. But while poems aren't commonly written in meter anymore, songs are—not consciously, but intuitively, because when you fit the words to the beat, what you get is meter. A stressed syllable, roughly speaking, is one that comes on the beat, and an unstressed syllable is one that comes between the beats.

Rhyme is a conventional way of linking lines of a poem or song to convey the idea of a larger pattern. But it's not the only way, and there have been many poetic traditions that used other means than rhyme to accomplish the same objective. Vowel quantity in Greek and Latin, for instance, or various figures of repetition, (in addition to those mentioned above), such as anaphora or epistrophe (repeating the same word or phrase at the beginning of different clauses, or at the end), repeating the rhythm and syntax of a phrase, but not necessarily the words or sounds (put out the cat / bring in the dog), or repeating a phrase with minor changes. Etc. Using rhyme doesn't rule out using those other means, of course, and in fact rhyme can interact with them in sometimes very intricate ways, as in "By day I make the cars / By night I make the bars." That sounds simple and natural, but there's actually a lot going on there, not that it needs to be analyzed.

The subject of this thread, songs that rhyme a word with itself, encompasses some very different uses of language. Often, of course, the songwriter is just being lazy. He didn't notice, or care, that he just used that word. But other times it's not lazy at all. Same-word rhymes stand out more than other rhymes. They call attention to themselves. And a good songwriter can take advantage of that, such as by using the word in a very different sense. For example (I just made this up; you're all welcome to use it): "And like the falling leaves / She leaves." (Syscrusher's vial/vile example is similar; same sound, different meaning.) Or by repeating it in the same sense, for emphasis: "And never sat once at the head of the table / And didn't even talk to the people at the table / Who just cleaned up all the food from the table." As I said in an earlier post, Dylan is using the rhetorical device of epistrophe. The effect is like a hammer coming down, or a finger jabbing at your chest. A lot of the other examples in this thread are also epistrophe. In a sense it's not really a rhyme at all, since the point is the repetition of the word or phrase, not of the sound of it.

DarrenNYC, Tom Daniels, 1983 and 7 others like this.
  12. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Nice!

1983 likes this.
  13. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

...AND 'step' is being used in two different senses here, a 'door step' is a thing/place and 'one more step' is an action... Similarly for the Sabbath quoted at the beginning - IIRC, one 'masses' is a group of people and the other is a religious ceremony, not really the same words at all just spelled and pronounced the same.

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Man ! That Kanye is something else innit he? What a wordsmith.

1983 and YardByrd like this.
  15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Actually, they're related, as the step is something that is also a call for action. The door step is a place where you are invited to take one.

16. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Yes, they are certainly related but not the same.

17. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Ray Davies - The Big Guy
    Another one, when I listen to it I just think it’s a good rhyme.

Tony came out of South London
    He was a cockney boy
    He saved my ass back in '82
    When I acted such a silly boy

1983 and Suncola like this.
  18. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I don’t think I’ve seen this one posted but my brother mentioned it when I brought up the conversation.

Otis Redding - Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay

Looks like nothing's gonna change
    Everything still remains the same
    I can't do what ten people tell me to do
    So I guess I'll remain the same

Uuan, Suncola and drad dog like this.
  19. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I just have to guess that they didn't want or intend a rhyme there. It's something poetic ending in strophy or something.

20. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

THis is where i draw the line! (no i'm ok really) But the same word is the same word. Even with diffferent senses or cases. Isn't it?

21. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Similar to:
    “Only time will tell if we stand the rest of time.”
    Why Can’t This Be Love - Van Halen

Edit - blastfurniss beat me to it - but much like this lyric, I’m too lazy to delete the post.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    1983 and DrBeatle like this.
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Twenty twenty twenty four hours to go....
    Nothing to do, nowhere to go...

23. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

This is too big a project for individuals. Why don't we all take a band and run the catalog though in our minds. We got some beatles people here, awright, and stones too. I think that will be covered. I'll take blind faith. Let's convene Saturday.

Syscrusher likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Realistically, it's more of a chant rather than lyrics.

25. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

He’s not rhyming money, but he is oddly trying to rhyme “Michael” with Tyco, Lipo and Geico.

ARK, 1983 and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.