Songs that were released as singles but are rare or scarce on LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimtek, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jimi Hendrix "The stars that play with laughing Sam's dice" was on the UK smash hits album but didn't show up on an American album until "Loose Ends" in 1974 and then on "South Saturn Delta".

CliffL and phillyal1 like this.
  2. The latter yes the former was on the CD issue of Back to the Egg.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Who version of Let's See Action. Also Relay backed with Waspman (Keith Moon comp).

Zongadude likes this.
  4. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Yes it is. I have even had success quoting the line "Haven't I the right to make it up girl?" to sustain a chapter in my personal love life.

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s a fine song. I don’t really care if John didn’t care for it. I like it, always have.

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not on a Hendrix album, but it was on one of the Warners loss leaders.

7. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

8. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Buzzcock's "Spiral Scratch EP" released on their own label "New Hormones" sold around a 1,000 copies and another 16,000 by mail order was reissued in 1979 made it to #31 in the charts, wasn't on any of the Buzzcock's UA releases.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

B-sides of single can be cover songs, but most bands want an original on both sides for royalties and publishing money that come with a hit that will get a lot of airplay.

Singles are the songs which the band, or at least their label, think are the most commercial... that may not turn out to be the case (many second singles released from an album break through when the first one didn't, but...)

awsop likes this.
  10. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Hey, ho, whaddayaknow?!

McCartney / Spies Like Us

longaway and Chew like this.
  11. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I like the "Paul's broken a glass" version on Anthology even better than the released track.

MitchLT and Chemguy like this.
  12. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

...and what kind of luck have you had quoting the line "When you sigh my-my inside just flies, butterflies"?

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Goin' Down" - The Monkees

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Love that line!

15. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

A song that comes to mind is the version of Mob Rules by Black Sabbath.
    The version I am referring to was originally recorded for the OST for the film "Heavy Metal"
    It was a completely different recording than the version recorded for the album of same name.
    It was only available on the OST vinyl 2xLP and Cassette from 1981, with the CD seeing a release in 1995, and then on the deluxe CD Mob Rules version 10 plus years later.
    Tony Iommi tells the story in his book "Iron Man", it's a very interesting story about the song and where they stayed and what they used to record it. A member of The Beatles is mentioned in the story and being I don't want to tell the story incorrect (tho I know it and have the book and read it twice, but it's been a couple years since last read), you've got to read the book.
    In any case the band liked/preferred this version over the version recorded for the Mob Rules album.
    Great song, great book and very interesting story. Check it out if you haven't already read the book.

16. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

1.Lennon / Do The Oz

2.Lynyrd Skynyrd / Don't Ask Me No Questions (single mix)

3.Sly & Family Stone...all of the band's monoraul singles

4.Country Joe & Fish / Bass Strings...original 1966 Rag Baby E.P. mono & more psychedelic mix is only found on the E.P. & Life & Times

5.Tons of Ike Turners 1950s tracks, I know because I own all 159 sides & that is a blatant disgrace to the IMO uncrowned "King Of RocknRoll"

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  17. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  18. music4life

music4life Senior Member

The extended single version of Billy Joel's "Sometimes a Fantasy" is STILL only available on the original 45, AFAIK.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  19. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

Pink Floyd - When The Tigers Broke Free

(Sorry if it has already been mentioned)

Didn't show up for years other than the single. Now on "The Final Cut" CD.

Babysquid likes this.
  20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Well regardless of cost I wouldn't trade either for my hard-worn copy of Agnes Bernelle's "Bernelle on Brecht and..."

I don't know if the re-recording was forced or not, but I know the single version wipes the floor with the album cut.

Not least the Ray-sung demo version of "Scrapheap City" (RCA Victor 74-0940)

Chuckee likes this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No, it’s not. The version I’m talking about on the first single (Three Drunken Maidens) was a wholly different take (and for a different label).

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Got it !

23. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

You didn't say so in your initial post. I stand corrected.

24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Fully aware of that soundtrack, the song was not physically impossible to get.

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

To my knowledge, it took till Anthology, Vol. 1 before the alternate takes of Neil Young's "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" and "Birds" appeared anywhere other than on 45.

And what about the version of "Last Trip to Tulsa" that came out as a B-side around the time of the Times Fades Away album? I don't think that has appeared anywhere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.