Songs that were released as singles but are rare or scarce on LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimtek, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Stevie Wonder-- "Master Blaster Dub". Never been on album or CD that I know of.

c-eling likes this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Do you mean "Easy on My Soul," the same song subsequently also done by Bad Company?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm not a Dylan expert, but it seems to me that BOTH versions of "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window" were hard to come by for a very long time other than on the singles.

I'm talking about both the "mistake" release that appeared on some pressings of "Positively 4th Street" (I used to own one of these decades ago) and also the later "official" version.

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Crabby Appleton's "Grab On"- was too late for their first album, didn't make it on their second album, and has yet to make its debut on CD because Collector's Choice weren't allowed to add bonus tracks when they re-issued Crabby's two albums.

MikeM likes this.
  5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

................and the B side to "Shower the People", which is "I Can Dream of You", never released on ANY JT album or compilation. Written by his brother Livingston from his "Over the Rainbow" LP on Capricorn. Great tune.

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Here's another: "Merry-Go-Round" by The Youngbloods, which I don't think appeared anywhere other than on 45 until an Australian comp, Euphoria, that came out in the late 1990s.

Also, toward the end of their career The Youngbloods did a satiric take on Merle Haggard's "Okie from Muskogee" called "Hippie from Olema." I don't think the original single version, whose melody exactly mimicked the Haggard song, has ever appeared anywhere else.

They subsequently performed this song live, and that's on an album or two. But in that version they alter the melody considerably. I've always wondered if that was done because the Haggard camp complained about it.

geo50000 likes this.
  7. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

The Youngbloods, "Merry Go Round", one of their best songs IMO, released as a single in 1967 and for some baffling reason wasn't included on Earth Music. It showed up on several European best-ofs in the 80s but wasn't re-released in the USA until 2002 on the the essential comp.

8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

GMTA, Hominy. I beat you by a minute!

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

How about the B-side to "Ride with Me" by Steppenwolf — "For Madmen Only"?

I'm also betting that another B-side with a somewhat similar theme, "Dante's Inferno" by The Blues Magoos, took a long time to come out anywhere other than a 45 B-side (if it ever did at all).

Les26 likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Didn't know there were two.

11. All Down The Line

No I do not, the song I refer to was the B side of My Brother Jake only.

12. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Yes. I found a copy of the "mistake" version, labeled "Positively 4th Street" but with someone (a DJ, I imagine) having crossed out the title and written "NO!" all over the label, in a discard pile at a local electronics store ca. 1968 for 10 cents. I ended up selling it a few years later at auction for $35.

I wish now I hadn't done it, but 35 bucks was a lot of dough to me in the early 1970s!

The official release of this single, which I also used to have, featured a completely different take.

13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

OK. I also realize now that my memory was a bit muddled.

"Easy on My Soul" by Free originally appeared on the Heartbreaker album, right?

But then later it was the B-side of Bad Company's "Movin' On" single, and at least at the time, I don't think it was on their contemporaneous album.

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

Now you're cookin'!

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I just happened to be listening to the recent 4 lp CD reissue set by Dennis Yost & The Classics IV and after the last tune was over, I had a nagging feeling something was missing. Turns out to be Change Of Heart which actually was a new song on their Golden Greats Vol.1 which came between Traces and Song. I then learned they had 4 other failed singles in the early 70s that had no accompanying album.

16. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Not sure I’ve heard that song?

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It’s not a song title, but the title of their first single, actually a 3-track EP with "Out of Control " as its main track. Released only by CBS Ireland, it was pressed as a 7” with a picture sleeve and as 12”, numbered to 1,000.

The first 500 copies of the second single, "Another Day" came with a postcard designed by Bono hisself.

I bought all of them in a rare bout of foresight.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The recent double retrospective, "Between The Jigs and the Reels" was a missed opportunity to include the first single, which is only otherwise available on a long out of print Irish compilation LP and a similar CD. Also absent is the second single Cliffs of Dooneen (mono) and Yarmouth Town. Both tracks have turned up on various vinyl compilations, again long out of print.

DetroitDoomsayer likes this.
  19. nowhere-man-in-e

nowhere-man-in-e Senior Member

"The Beatles' Movie Medley"

vivatones likes this.
  20. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Which artist are we talking about? It's got lost in the thread somehow

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

A Quartet called The Beatles or something.

22. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Ah yes... I heard they're good.

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Smashing. As seen on TV.

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

If we're going to go with mixes or versions, it could be endless :laugh:
    The Shamen-MK2A (Beatmasters Vox 12/Instrumental 12 Inch )

25. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

According to my internet research, the Kinks Dedicated Follower of Fashion was only a single. It seems like they could have put that one on an album, it's one of my favorite Kinks songs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.