Songs where the Remix becomes the standard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation (Junkie XL remix)

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Here are some remixes I can immediately think of:

Rock With You - Michael Jackson
    Get On The Floor - Michael Jackson
    The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson
    Hang On Sloopy - The McCoys
    When I Need You - Leo Sayer

ziggytvs, pantofis and AlanDistro like this.
  3. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Moloko - Sing it Back: the Boris Dlugosch radio mix is the only one anyone’s ever heard.

The original does NOT sound like a hit single :D

Izozeles and Former member 30842 like this.
  4. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Duran Duran’s Rio album fits the bill. The entire first side was remixed several months after its initial release, and that version (with David Kershenbaum mixes) became the standard issue of the album for US audiences.

I did not know that about Tori and Talula!
    Of course, I’m a huge Tori fan and bought Pele on the day of release. Also have the maxi singles. Interesting that the Tornado mix is now on the album, I had no idea.

deredordica and AlanDistro like this.
  5. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

My first thought was 'Living on my own' by Freddie Mercury. The 1985 original was a single, but it was the 1993 remix that became a big hit and the version that most people remember.

longaway, mc7t, Man at C&A and 6 others like this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Thank God

7. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever (remixed 1971)

And of course the Help! and Rubber Soul albums.

The entire Genesis catalogue!

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I seem to remember that when "She Blinded Me With Science" was on the radio in the 80's, the first version I heard had the weird voice saying "science!" in each chorus, but later I always heard a different mix where they tweaked one of those to sound like "sci-yi-yi-yi-yience."

Chazzbo13 and AlanDistro like this.
  9. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

Climie Fisher ~ "Rise To The Occasion" (the hip hop mix)

Dan Steely likes this.
  10. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I get angry whenever I hear that version of La Grange on the radio.

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

To me the Steven Wilson remixes of Jethro Tull's catalog are the gold standard.

12. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Not sure it’s a remix, or rather a completely different take, but the album version of Eddy Money’s Two Tickets to Paradise is now the standard version, as opposed to the single with all the cool extra guitar bits.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  13. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Isn't the main version of "December 1963 (Oh What A Night)" that's played on the radio and at countless weddings the remixed version from the early 90s with the added technoesque beats, etc...?

14. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

The newer mixes of the VU's 1969 'lost' album sounded astonishing when I first heard them (esp I Can't Stand It).

Also love the newly remixed Sweet Jane from the 45th Anniversay set of Loaded. It was great at last to hear a clear sounding version of the full take (the 1995 version sounds like a Frankenstein job with the drop in SQ making the flown-in bits stick out like a sore thumb). I'm guessing they must have found the multi-tracks recently to get this right and even do a great 5.1 mix too!

majorlance likes this.
  15. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Aside from the rare Japan mini-LP remaser of Inner Secrets, the Disco Single remix of Santana's One Chain (Don't Make No Prison) is prettt much the only version of the song availabe on CD. I'm not even sure if it's on YouTube. I think there's a shorter single edit on one of the band's comps, but it might just be the Disco remix again. If you want the original album mix, then you may have to go the vinyl route.

16. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Paul Oakenfold's remix of U2's "Even Better Than The Real Thing" immediately springs to mind. The only U2 single I ever bought!

maui jim, Izozeles and ausgraeme like this.
  17. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I have heard a different version on a few occasions in the grocery store, in restaurants etc. and I assumed it was re-recorded. I wonder if that’s what you’re referring to? Could be a topic for a new thread: when re-recorded versions become the main ones. Journey is another act that has newly recorded versions out there getting lots of air time. I find this trend intriguing and disturbing too. Kind of revisionist pop music history.

dezz likes this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Aerosmith's "Dream On" was remixed when the album was remixed in '75.

Dodoz likes this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

George Martin remixed "Horse With No Name" and other early America songs for the History greatest hits album. Not positive but I'm guessing the History versions have been common on radio since.

20. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Blondie too: they re-recorded an entire greatest hits album, but I believe this was an attempt at a better deal for licensing or something to prevent Peter Leeds making any more money out of them.

And then there's the whole "Being Boiled" debate - crunchy, or non-crunchy?

21. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Motorcycle - As the Rush Comes (Gabriel & Dresden Chill Remix)

"One of the rare times when a remix just destroys the original"

22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Brooce purists will scoff, but Arthur Baker's "blaster mix" of Dancing in the Dark has been my go-to DITD ever since its release.

This was also the first appearance of the "whoa-oh-oh" backing vocals which have been a crowd staple at every Brooce show of the past three decades.

Baker's remixes of BITUSA (the song) and Cover Me were less successful, IMHO.

smokeverbs and Blaine Jacobs like this.
  23. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Using the artist used by the OP as the example.

Certainly in the UK & Europe another of her songs is more well known via its UK #1 Armand Van Helden Remix of Professional Widow:

Of this original:
    Professional Widow (2016 Remaster)

24. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Thank goodness the original mix is finally being reissued this year. I have never heard it! Very much looking forward to it.

25. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Good one, that is a classic. :thumbsup:

Blame The Machines likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.