Songs where the Remix becomes the standard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Greatest Love Of All and How Will I Know from Whitney Houston's self titled debut were replaced with the single/MTV versions about a year after it came out and have remained the "standard" versions ever since.

MarilynsPickle likes this.
  2. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

The Sound of Silence--is that a remix or would it be considered something else?

3. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

George Michael's "Monkey"

Los Del Rio's "Macarena" (Bayside Boys remix)

OneRepublic's "Apologize" (w/ Timbaland)

Kiss's "Forever"

4. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I think the Paul Oakenfold remix of "Rubberneckin'" also fits in that category:

Michael Rose likes this.
  5. It’s inferior unfortunately IMHO and it’s too bad she just didn’t give the choice of both.

6. There’s the original CDs out there and an EMI remaster with bonus tracks (although most prefer the original CD pressing)

7. Zeppelin fan

Zeppelin fan Forum Resident

Crush: Jellyhead

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

One could make a case for “Intergalactic” by the Beastie Boys as well.

9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Funny, I NEVER hear the Run-DMC/Aerosmith version on the radio! I haven't since the early 90s.

Grant likes this.
  10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My local classic rock station plays the original Walk This Way.

11. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Do you mean with reference to the "1" remixes? Because unless you mean the stereo mixes of the original mono singles, they've only been remastered. But even that said, most radio stations seem to stick with the original mixes of those old Beatle songs. Even in the case of remixed whole albums (Pepper and White, for now), the original mixes still seem to dominate. I'd have thought that most radio stations would have opted for the much better sounding YSS remix of Nowhere Man (a Capitol single, I know)...but we still get the original coming over the airwaves (or, at most, that awful sounding George Martin remix from the 80's).

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Def Leppard - Bringin' On the Heartbreak and Me & My Wine.

Grant likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Think the band overdub version should be called 'remake'.

illwind64 and Jarleboy like this.
  15. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

My dear, I was mostly joking (as every thread includes a Beatles reference sooner or later) - but yes, those singles were originally mono, as you yourself said, and today people afre mostly used to their stereo mixes.

16. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

The remix of Heart's "Never."

Holy Diver and Grant like this.
  17. It’s both a remix and somewhat new I guess since new instrumentation was added to it and made the hit version we know.

Jarleboy and illwind64 like this.
  18. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The only Monkees song I like, which, I know, is a wrong thing to say on this forum :hide:.
    I don't only like it - I LOVE it...

Wow, I missed that one. I remember how surprised I was when I heard Simon & Garfunkel's first album!

Jarleboy and illwind64 like this.
  19. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Family - The Weaver's Answer

20. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

It’s cool... I won’t hold it against ya. ;)

Having said that, 60s pop-rock really doesn’t get much better than the “I’m a Believer”/“(I’m Not Your) Stepping Stone” single, or “Pleasant Valley Sunday,” among other standouts. Worth checking out more of their stuff, especially after they (the actual Monkees, I mean) took greater control of the music.

If nothing else, that entire HEAD soundtrack is great little album of psychedelic nuggets (Half of the songs were written by Nesmith or Tork, the other half Carole King or Harry Nilsson) along with soundbites and other weirdness from the film. The film itself is a trippy, underground gem.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic here. Getting back on topic, the 45 mix of “Stepping Stone” often gets played on radio, or is included on compilations/best of albums, about as much as the original album mix. At least, that’s been my listening experience.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't quite remember - I used to have an original pressing of the first album but it mysteriously warped in storage and I had to discard it. If I remember correctly, the big difference was that the vocals were brought forward a bit in the remix. I think something was done to the guitar solo as well - I remember reading Joe Perry saying one of the reasons that he wanted it remixed was that he hated his guitar solo. He thought that the song was just a throwaway at first and therefore he just tossed off a solo without a lot of effort. The solo wasn't recorded but perhaps it was drawn back a bit to mask the clams. I bet that original mix is on YouTube somewhere, I'll have to search for it.

One thing for sure is that the song originally went nowhere and the remix went Top 10. I think the world just wasn't ready for that song in 1973! :laugh:

Dodoz likes this.
  22. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Stones," Miss You" 12" version is it for me

smokeverbs and McLover like this.
  23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Not a remix but a re-recording - the U2 1987 b-side The Sweetest Thing re-recorded as a 1998 single.

OberonOz, crispi, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I'll have to listen to Baker's remix of Dancing in the Dark again.
    I think the Born In The USA remix was great. As for Cover Me, I recall it being incorporated into Bruce and the E Street Band performances in 1985.
    Edit: most of Dylan's stereo Blonde On Blonde was remixed not too long after its release and remixed again in 1999 so the original stereo mix is pretty rare I think.

25. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

The Beach Boys - "Help Me, Ronda" was not only redone, it was respelled as Help Me, Rhonda".

They also remade "Be True To Your School" and a few others.

Dodoz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.