Songs where the Remix becomes the standard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The live version differed from the album cut via its Patti-based intro, but I don't think it emulated the remix.

Bruce still played the Patti intro version in 1988 but I think he's reverted a more standard version when he (infrequently) plays it now...

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, probably true as it was the intro I was thinking of.
    I can't remember if I ever heard Bruce perform Cover Me since 1985.

3. Oatsdad

The redone "Sweetest Thing" was issued as a single to promote the "1980-90" collection - that's what gained it "hit" status...

Dodoz and Guy Smiley like this.
  4. Oatsdad

"Cover Me" was a staple from 1984-1992 but a rarity since then!

bataclan2002 likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

That's not a remix, though - the Run-DMC version is a cover...

smokeverbs likes this.
  6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I guess I must have heard it then, as I went to a few shows in that era!

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Bruce definitely played "Cover Me" a ton over the decade or so that followed 1984.

Not sure why he's bailed on it. I've seen 100+ Bruce shows from 1999 to date but only heard "Cover Me" a handful of times in that span...

8. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of Jimi Hendrix's Fire was first released as the B-Side to Fight Like A Brave (and a CD sampler from the era). The following year, it was remixed with added phasing and reverb for The Abbey Road EP and that version also appeared on the album "Mother's Milk" as well as a few compilations. The original mix has never seen reissue and the majority of fans have no idea there are two mixes.

Farmer Mike and Dodoz like this.
  9. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

Freddy Fender - wasted days, wasted nights
    Whitesnake - here I go again

Remade versions of each are the radio standards

10. Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule Forum Resident

The Carpenters Ticket To Ride singles version blows the album version out of the water.

Joel1963 likes this.
  11. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

TOUCH ME, the July 1969 rerecording by The Doors. "Stronger than Dirt!" And yet anoter mid-69s early 70s song with a harpsichord (in the pseudo-lullaby final, slowed down vocal).

crispi likes this.
  12. Steve Carras

Anything from Dunhill/ABC, Motown, or Columbia.

13. Steve Carras

That's ,one of the Columbia records I referred to in my latest, along with Brubeck's TAKE FIVE, both reworkings,too.(I won't even get INTO the existence of several edits of TIME HAS COME TODAY.)

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

That’s why he wrote the song originally, not why they re-recorded it.

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

WFIL in Philadelphia, the city's big Top 40 station of the time, played "Dream On" in late 1973 and early 1974. The single edit released at that time had re-arranged verses and overdubbed backing vocals:

I have both the 1973 version of the album, with the "orange" cover, and the later version, with the "clouds" cover, but have never paid attention to the mixes.

Maffune, Dodoz and dkmonroe like this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Both are on streaming sites, but the original mix is now used on all ZZ Top albums (including Greatest Hits, which is actually not correct). The remix is only used on various artist compilations on streaming sites. There are actually three versions streaming (on Spotify for example), one which says “Remaster” and which is the original mix, one that says “2005 Remaster” and which is the original mix, but with a glitch (originating from the Tres Hombres remaster), and one with no additional designation which is the remix.

It is a similar situation for "Tush", but more confused. The original mix is labelled "2006 Remastered Version" and is on Fandango!, the remix has no label and is for example used on Greatest Hits (which is correct), but also on Chrome, Smoke & B·B·Q and Rancho Texicano (which is incorrect). There are also some that have the designation "2006 Remaster", which I think is supposed to be the original mix, but this can be either of them, on The Complete Studio Albums Collection it is the original mix (correct), but everywhere else it turns out to be the remix, including on The Very Baddest Of (incorrect for that compilation).

There are also tracks labelled "2012 Collection Remastered" used on various artists compilations and with both these songs it is again is the remix, but this must be another mistake as 2012 must be in reference to Complete Studio Albums. (The only other track that has a version with this label is "Gimme All Yor Lovin'".)

Crystal clear? ;)

I don't think the remixes of any other ZZ tracks are streaming, but these two are probably still around because they were on Greatest Hits.

Good to hear! I actually never hear the remix on the radio anymore, but I think in most cases it is just by chance and has more to do with the remix not being used on any releases since 1992.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Grace Jones ‘ 1985 Pull up to the Bumper remix seems like the standard version for that song.
    I prefer the album version anyway

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

When I think of songs where the remix has superseded the original, I also think of "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order:

c-eling and LivingForever like this.
  19. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

"Penny Lane" was not mixed for stereo until 1971 (for a German MMT album), and was not released that way in the US until the 1987 CD issue...since then, it's become the standard mix.

crispi likes this.
  20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"Love Is the Drug" was also remixed for the Island Life compilation and I guess is the more commonly known version because of that. But the original mix of "Pull Up To The Bumper" is used on that compilation (even though the remix was made to promote it) and on others and I wouldn't say the remix is the standard, actually it is kind of hard to find. In any case, neither of them have been replaced, the original versions are on the albums.

Izozeles likes this.
  21. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

There are so many weird versions of Boys For Pele.

1. The original version
    2. Swapped out Talula for the Tornado Mix
    3. Swapped out Hey Jupiter for the Dakota mix
    4. Removed “In The Springtime of His Voodoo” and added the Armand Van Helden remix of “Professional Widow”.
    5. A version with all of the changes in points 2, 3 and 4.

What’s even more insane is that I have all those versions on CD!

The Dakota Mix actually uses a the backing track from the original “Sugar”, but sped up. Tori did a new vocal for it.

Recent live performances have tended to be new arrangements combining both versions.

The Dakota Mix replaced the original version on some reissues of the album in different parts of the world

Dodoz, bataclan2002 and AlanDistro like this.
  22. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

The 2 lead singles, “Angry Johnny” and “Hello” from Poe’s debut album we’re heavily remixed from the album versions. The singles were guitar based alt-rock whereas the album versions had more of an R&B twist.

Belinda Carlisle’s “(We Want) The Same Thing” was remixed and had different lyrics for the single release. Though oddly, the album release included the remix lyrics so it must’ve been in the works early on.

mjb and AlanDistro like this.
  23. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

Spector's remixed version of "Let It Be" was the one I seemed to hear the most on the radio.

24. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Excellent example! But I would not say that the Mix versions are the versions they play these days in concert, as they constantly change and refine their version. The 3-D versions (recent versions) are far from the Mix ones. And from time to time they have even gone back almost to the originals.....

crispi likes this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

As soon as I heard the original album version from Born To Die of this song, I came to prefer the original over the hit remix. The original version is much more appropriate for the song overall, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.