Songs with the "mixolydian" chord progression

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Well, C Mixolydian has the same key signature as F (one flat), but it's not the same key at all. They just share the same notes. What I usually do for modal pieces is use the key signature that matches the scale of the music and put a note at the top saying "C Mixolydian" or whatever.

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

What other scales would you find apropriate to play over C Bb F C?

Absolutely they tell us what the tonal center is. Try playing them. The tonal center is clearly C.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I generally would consider the melody what determines the mode of a song, and any melody can be harmonized many different ways.

4. StingRay5

Not at all. If anything, one would expect F to be the tonic, and it easily could be. You're probably only thinking of C as the center because the brief progression quoted starts and ends on C, or because you're associating it with a song that spends enough time on C that one tends to think of the F as a deviation from that.

Try playing those chords as quarter notes in this pattern: ||: C Bb F F | F F F F :||. Repeat it a few times. It's clearly in F. Context is everything.

lschwart likes this.
  5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Well, like I said, we do not know that, just the three chords listed like that doesn't tell us anything, we need additional information.

F Ionian, G Dorian, A Phrygian, Bb Lydian, D Aeolian, E Locrian. But it's actually all the same scale, what is different is the tonal center, which we don't know without context and a melody.
    The chords F, Bb and C are the I, IV and V chords of F major, what order you play them in does not change that. The tonal center can very well be D and it turns out we are in D minor (Aeolian), it depends.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

What you're saying is true but aren't the original chords in question C-Bb-F-C? If so, we know the resolution.

Kim Olesen and Rose River Bear like this.
  7. StingRay5

No, you don't. A progression doesn't have to start or end on the tonic. It's totally possible to write a piece in C major that never actually uses a C chord. You need a lot more information than just that sequence of chords to know what key or mode (if any) the music is in.

lschwart likes this.
  8. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice song who is that?

9. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Semantics. If those are the only chords given and the piece of music was 10 seconds long, the key of C would be correct. You are right too that you'd need to hear the entire piece before jumping to conclusions.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Now that I think about the commonly used establishment of modal, you are correct. If the tonic and tonal center falls on one of the degrees of the parent scale, it is considered modal. The tonic of Born on the Bayou falls on the 5th degree of the A Major scale. That makes it E Mixolydian. The tonal center is the strongest factor.

Rfreeman and Ryan Lux like this.
  11. Rose River Bear

Humble Pie with Peter Frampton.

12. classicrockguy

Ha that's ok I think the best way for me to get it is by song example. Is the Byrds "Everybody's Been Burned" or "Lady Friend" in Mixo. form? For that matter, I'm thinking of a lot of David Crosby songs, or the James Bond theme?

13. classicrockguy

What's the name of the song? I can't see the whole thing

14. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I'm glad. As you can see, people will argue about minor theory details forever. One reason for this is that there is no accepted jargon used 100% across the board.

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't know if I'd say it's impossible, but I can't imagine parsing a song as being in C major if it never resolves to C. There are going to be other relative resolutions in the tune, and I'd far more likely say it's in whatever the relevant mode for those resolutions would be.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

It is Home and Away from the album Town and Country.
    [​IMG]

17. Rose River Bear

You are correct .......David Crosby did write modal stuff.
    Ooops....I think I See You is Dorian mode. Still David did a lot of modal songs.
    I think Everybody's Been Burned is Dorian as well.
    Lady Friend is Major not Mixolydian but "borrows" from Dorian mode a little.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  18. classicrockguy

How about "Guinevere"? Seems to have that "Middle Easten snake charmer" sound a prev poster mentioned

19. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I've always assumed that "Mixolydian" means that if G is the tonic, you won't have to use any chords with black notes. Certainly the three chords that make up The Rolling Stones' "The Last Time" would fall into this category. Same with "No Expectations."

The more interesting common progression would be G Dm F C G. Songs that fall into this category include:

Gates Of Eden
    Cinnamon Girl
    Let It Rain
    It Don't Come Easy
    The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
    Carry On (at least the second half of it).

20. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I played that song in a cover band situation. The key center is F major, but C triad tonalties should prevail most of the time. In other words, classic mixolydian situation. A C scale (C to C) in the key of F (with Bb instead of B natural). Play a B natural and go to jail.

21. Rose River Bear

Guinnevere interchanges between E Dorian and E Aeolian mode.

22. StingRay5

Not to mention making use of whole tone and chromatic scales. It's a very sophisticated piece of music.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  23. Rose River Bear

I would not even try to name the chords with all of the extensions. o_O

24. Rose River Bear

This thread is enough music theory for me in one day.

[​IMG]

25. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

Jake Lizzio explains Mixolydian mode quite well:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.