Sonic Youth CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Togo, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was Thread Starter

Sonic Youth has been cropping up in the SH Forum Top 10 albums poll...can anyone tell me about the best sounding CD's available.

For instance, how good is the MoFi "Goo"?

I also understand there are some remastered/reissues on the way??....

Any help appreciated as always.

2. Togo

In the absence of a response (no worries) I decided to take a chance.

I saw the MoFi "Goo" factory fresh/sealed on e-bay. I picked it up for a reasonable price from a trusted seller.

Looking forward to hearing it when it arrives next week...:cool:

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Will you post your opinions when you get it? We'd be curious.... or at least I'd be curious! Thanks!

4. Togo

A pleasure Gary...watch this space (it will probably take about a week in the mail to reach the UK)...

5. Togo

After a long delay...I promised Gary I would post a short review of the Mofi Sonic Youth CD "Goo"...

Firstly the sound quality is just fine...it is a UD2 Gain issue. Not the best MOFI ever, but not bad either...it has a strangely compelling laid back rich sound to my ears.

As for the music...well, it has taken a while to work it's way into my head, but this is a great album by a truly great rock and roll band.

Songs such as "Tunic (Song for Karen)" - a spooky tale about the late great Karen Carpenter and her message from the grave to brother Richard, her family and friends; the magnificent "Kool Thing"; the electric "Disappearer" and many more presents a showcase of the talents of Thurston Moore, Kim Gordon and Lee Ranaldo.

The inter-play is magnificent...a wall of guitars but with melodies from the stars. They were a band in their prime and tight as hell.

It's available on ebay for between $25-30 and I would recommend it to all alt. rock lovers out there. If you love the Pixies, you'll dig this!

:cool:

6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Musically, I believe the strongest SY records are Dirty and A Thousand Leaves, but there's always been a consensus in the music press for Daydream Nation. Their later records have better production values in my opinion, Dirty and Leaves are two of those. The live bootleg Hold that Tiger is a good performance and sort of an early greatest hits. I've never heard any of the SYR CD's which are great according to reviews I was lead to by the sonic youth website. They look like bootlegs in the stores, and some of them have guest artists or look more like side projects. Their newest, Murray St., disappointed me mostly because it emphasized interaction with their 'secret' website, and I don't care for listening to music on my computer or downloading videos. For some reason I think musicians should just stick to making great music. Why is that? But again, pick up a copy of Dirty, and Goos' allright too.

7. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

I like "goo" - but my heart belongs to their earlier work. My SY top 5:

1) Bad Moon Rising
    2) Sister
    3) Confusion Is Sex
    4) Evol
    5) Daydream Nation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.