Sonic youth on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Speedycat69, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I picked up the previous ORG release recently. Thought it sounded pretty good.

2. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

So I started actively hunting an original copy of Sister several months ago. I know the reissue is nice I used to own it but severely downsized my collection when I moved states. Partially cause the collector in me wants the uncensored cover with both images and partially I heard the rumor the master tape was taped over for Experimental Jet Set and took it as fact until reading some threads debunking it a few minutes ago. I bid $100 and lost on a top copy about a month ago, but I found a VG+ dutch copy it appears to have the uncensored cover with both images intact and seems to use the same metal parts as the US. It only cost me $55 shipped ($25 of which is shipping), and US copies are going for $120+? What's the deal, are these dutch pressings inferior in anyway or is this just a well kept secret for a cheaper alternative? I'm looking forward to it, I ordered it yesterday after picking up the Daydream Nation reissue which I previously purged with the Sister reissue. I have a Blast First UK pressing of EVOL and similarly it was like half the price of US copies and I like it even better than the reissue (which I also purged with the above 2 lol) but it is a pecko mastering on side A (side B is the same as the US probably didn't want to recut the lock groove).

Frances the Mute and Neonbeam like this.
  3. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

How did that Dutch copy treat you?!

4. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Really nicely, as other stated this catalog is an embarrassment of riches the reissue sounded much cleaner, but this sounds delightful with just a hint of surface noise that doesn't really detract and I usually don't go for the collector aspect of records but having all the original cover art intact is nice

Neonbeam and TongueDruid like this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Woah is vintage SY vinyl now that expensive? Haven't checked it in ages. And I haven't played mine in ages. Probably since the great "Sonic Youth Album By Album" thread - which unfortunately is closed now:

The Sonic Youth Album by Album Thread

That was very nice and inspiring. Back then when people weren’t constantly trying to interrupt the discussion and everybody stayed on topic.

6. johnwilliamhunte

johnwilliamhunte In the land of Gods and Monsters

Let me try to remember what I have on vinyl, it's a bit random.

EVOL SST pressing
    EVOL ORG reissue
    Starpower 12"
    Sister SST pressing
    Sister ORG reissue
    Daydream Nation 4LP reissue (I did have a Blast First copy but sold it sadly)
    The Whitey Album reissue
    Dirty Boots 12"
    Dirty 4LP reissue
    100% 12"
    Washing Machine 2LP U.S.A. pressing
    Little Trouble Girl 12"
    Sonic Nurse 2LP
    Mariah Carey & The Arthur Doyle Hand Cream 7"
    Rather Ripped LP
    Helen Lundeberg 7"
    The Eternal 2LP
    Superstar 7"

Rather Ripped is noisy, and the Daydream Nation reissue is not as good as the original (I suspect the same with Dirty), apart from that they're all good.

Echoes Myron and Neonbeam like this.
  7. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

This is what I've got:

Death Valley 69 7" (Iridescence pressing)
    Sonic Youth/Gumball/Laughing Hyenas/These Immortal Souls split 7"
    Sonic Youth/Red Kross split 7" (Carpenters covers, red)
    Sonic Youth/Jay Reatard split 7"
    Sonic Youth/Beck split 7"
    s/t EP (SST pressing)
    Bad Moon Rising LP (2015 reissue)
    Flower b/w Halloween 12"
    EVOL LP (original pressing)
    Sister LP (original pressing w/ original artwork)
    Master Dik 12"
    Hold that Tiger LP
    Sonic Youth/Mudhoney split 12"
    Teenage Riot 12"
    Daydream Nation 4xLP box reissue
    Goo LP (2016 reissue)
    Dirty 2xLP (2016 reissue)
    Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star LP (original on clear blue)
    Washing Machine LP (2016 reissue)
    The Diamond Sea 12" (2016 reissue)
    SYR 2 12"
    Murray Street LP (original)
    Sonic Nurse 2xLP (UME reissue)
    Rather Ripped LP (original)
    The Eternal 2xLP (original)
    Live at Battery Park LP (bonus LP that came with preorder of The Eternal)
    Speed Trials compilation LP

8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Another vote for the current reissues sounding great.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Can you or anyone else tell me how the alternate Diamond Sea sounds on the 2016 12” compared to side D of the 2007 Destroyed Room B-side comp?

Sonic Youth - The Diamond Sea

Sonic Youth - The Destroyed Room B-Sides And Rarities

The 12” single says “first time vinyl single release, newly remastered from stereo analog tapes”. I’m assuming it might be a step up from the 2007 master for Destroyed Room. Love that track and it makes all the sense in the world to track down a copy of Destroyed room for cheaper/a lot more songs but might bite on one of those 12” before they get too expensive. I’m pretty impressed with the Washing Machine I have that came out at the same time.

10. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I haven’t heard the Destroyed Version room so I can’t compare :(

domesticmachine likes this.
  11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Since I first posted in this thread, I got two more SY records:

Death Valley 69 12”
    Daydream Nation Russian unofficial LP

The Russian daydream nation is super interesting and I’ve been wanting to get one for a while. The abbreviated track listing makes the band seem a lot more Lee-heavy than they really are! It also sounds pretty decent for an unofficial release. I’m not sure what I was expecting but I was fully prepared for something that sounded like a cassette recording

Sonic Youth - Нация Мечтателей

12. So guys, I have two copies of A THOUSAND LEAVES vinyl, Goofin records one (with no year of reissue, at least discogs say) and a regular UK&Europe 2016. Universal - DGC reissue, back to black... Which one you think I should keep?
    (the second one is still sealed, but even if I do open it and listen to both of reissues I am not sure if I can spot all the differences/qualities on 'em)
    Thanks...

13. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

i was under the impression that most of the uk back to black reissues were pretty awful pressings and not from the same remasters as the US versions. i know that was the case for washing machine and a couple others. as far as the goofin’ pressing. personally, i’d sell both and get this instead:
    Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves

Damir Murseljevic likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Has the Goofin "Masterdisk" in the run off? I'd advise you to keep that!

Damir Murseljevic likes this.
  15. blackearth

blackearth Well-Known Member

Was it ever confirmed that the ORG reissues were cut from the master tapes?

16. Frances the Mute

Frances the Mute Well-Known Member

I recently got the 2020 reissue of Sister and it sounds exceptional. I would also like to know if it's AAA.

Echoes Myron likes this.