Sonny Rollins "Saxophone Colossus" Steve Hoffman mastering (non DCC)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by honestabe316, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Just picked it up for $11.58. Thanks!

snorker likes this.
  2. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Playing it tonight and can testify it sounds fantastic! Also dead quiet pressing and thankfully not 180gram so it’s perfectly flat.

EricMack likes this.
  3. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I've had this LP for a while, the Prestige 7079, or OJC-291 (P-7079). I would love to hear the story of why the notes in the deadwax are scratched out?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Member requested bump. Here you go..

5. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I don’t know nothing but it sure sounds good.

6. ncstickman

ncstickman Forum Resident

Don’t know the backstory on the deadwax either but this may be the best sounding $11 record I’ve ever heard.

7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

This may be a stupid question forgive me, but how does matrix info get physically scratched out, if we're dealing with the metal parts and not lacquer?
    I know some stuff about vinyl manufacturing but not everything.... thank you!

8. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Soooo...just so I'm clear, are the DCC, OJC and AP releases of Saxophone Colossus all the same thing? Was one pressed at a plant that is far superior and sounds better?

9. blue

blue Mastering rules

No definitely not. The 45RPM AP is by far the best. I didn’t check if the 33RPM Kevin Gray/Coherent or the DCC is better but I know they are both not as good sounding as the 45RPM.

10. EricMack

EricMack Forum Resident

Really glad to find this thread, and learn of this version. On the way from Amazon for around 15 clams :D

11. 3083joe

3083joe Well-Known Member

Order one now.

honestabe316 likes this.
  12. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

13. blue

blue Mastering rules

No, they are not, those are the “ordinary” OJC issues.

14. jasonsouza77

hi is the one ur referring to still available presently at amzn please? thanks

15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

The answer is a bit longer. Officially, they started recording in stereo in 1958, and from this year are the first stereo Prestige albums which have survived. However, apparently starting with 1957 they would record 2-track stereo, like Blue Note did, but unlike Blue Note, they scrapped those tapes after using them either as backup or downmixing them to mono. Not sure if it’s accurate, but it’s what I’ve heard.

And there might be some truth to this, since at least one 1957 stereo Prestige tape has survived, a Gil Evans album, released for the first time in stereo in the CD era.

Claude likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's the 1957 album Gil Evans & Ten, released in stereo on the 2003 Prestige/Fantasy hybrid SACD, Prestige PRSA-7120-6, remastered by Joe Tarantino.

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  17. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Precisely. If I don’t misremember, that’s the first time this was released in stereo. Somebody at Prestige probably forgot to erase or reuse the twin-track tape. Lucky for us.

18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I would imagine it's still the same one, but one can't be absolutely positive until opening the record and looking at the dead wax. That said, I've yet to see anyone report another mastering of that, so chances are good it's still the Hoffman/Gray cut.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  19. jasonsouza77

yes I agree with you. I know discogs is not 100% accurate, but I did not see any new ojc version after 2002. yes I have decided to order this one https://www.amazon.com/Saxophone-Colossus-Vinyl-Sonny-Rollins/dp/B000000YG4/ref=pd_bxgy_15_2/142-7559078-0738209?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000000YG4&pd_rd_r=6bcc092d-90cd-11e9-b737-0999600a03f4&pd_rd_w=YWDao&pd_rd_wg=HgNi6&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=KY8699FERPNE2YN35RPN&psc=1&refRID=KY8699FERPNE2YN35RPN
    and presently considering either one of these. both are ojc but wondering which one is the Hoffman/gray cut

https://www.amazon.com/Tenor-Madnes...=1560776179&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=mfconvert-20

https://www.amazon.com/Tenor-Madness-Vinyl-Rollins-Quartet/dp/B000000Y73/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

20. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

21. jasonsouza77

sorry snorker, cant open your attached link

22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Sorry. Here it is.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  23. jasonsouza77

its okay no worries snorker. thank you so much. appreciate it very much. ill order from this listing. ummm do you have the ojc Hoffman/gray cut for sax colossus too? according to what I have gathered here on the forums its this one iirc https://www.amazon.com/Saxophone-Colossus-Vinyl-Sonny-Rollins/dp/B000000YG4/ref=pd_bxgy_15_2/142-7559078-0738209?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000000YG4&pd_rd_r=6bcc092d-90cd-11e9-b737-0999600a03f4&pd_rd_w=YWDao&pd_rd_wg=HgNi6&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=KY8699FERPNE2YN35RPN&psc=1&refRID=KY8699FERPNE2YN35RPN

24. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, that is the one I ordered and it was the Hoffman/Gray cut. Sounds wonderful.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Having just ordered this one last week, I can confirm at least mine was from DCC stampers. The DCC portion is all crossed out and the OJC cat # added.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.