Sonny Rollins Way Out West Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dminches, Dec 19, 2017.

1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Despite being cut from hi-res digital, it actually sounds pretty good. I just compared it to my 45rpm pressing and the 33 rpm AP pressing, which is the pressing I listen to most of the time.
    I'd rank it below the 33 AP and 45RPM, but it's certainly not bad sounding and I can't imagine anyone having an issue with how it sounds. The main issue here is the kerfuffle with Concord shafting AP. It's a nice package, but I wouldn't pay $80 for it, and thankfully I didn't. Cost me only $20.

Some photos...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Thank you for your thoughts. I am a big fan of Sonny and this record and it is nice to have comments from someone who has actually taken the time to review this fairly. It did garner a 9 after all, from the apparent voice of the (vinyl) god.

3. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Get the old Original Jazz Classics reissue.
    Turns out it's all analog.

kt66brooklyn and Tommyboy like this.
  4. dominguez

dominguez Forum Resident

Any more news on the SQ? I'm curious because it's down to $44.95 at Amazon.

RiRiIII and Jimijam like this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks. Ordered.

Some others have got it for 27 Euro as previously offered by french amazon!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  6. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

The question is: has anyone actually *received* it from French Amazon?

7. Yes, I have, but unfortunately, the box got dinged in one corner, also causing corner dings on both record covers inside. In addition, one of the albums has a nasty seam split on top, probably happened during the impact which caused the corner ding.

Since it is out of stock, they could not issue a replacement order, and I didn't want to return it because the vinyl plays fine and the price was reasonable.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

9. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Streaming on Amazon Music in [ULTRA HD].

10. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Thank you to our host for reopening this thread. I come back around every so often to wanting to buy this album. Since ERC had a-go at this in both mono and stereo I wonder if this will be a future Craft one-step?

I am not sure how well their previous version sold? From the judgement of the vinyl community it seems this went over like a pile of bricks. Has there been anymore discussion on this version since it first debuted?

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think the main complaint is - it’s not a $75 package. The outer box is nice but not necessary. The liners are good but they’re on a 11x11 fold over - a bit chintzy. The covers are really nice on both. Vinyl quiet and flat and no defects. But why go thru all this packaging and not AAA it? For $75 it should absolutely be AAA. The top end not being toned down - yeah but it’s not harsh. Overall the sound is very good, lots of detail and easy to feel in the room.

I think they learned their lessons from this set - namely AAA or buyers balk at this price. It’s possible they’ll hit this as a one step eventually but I don’t think it’ll be up for a while. If you see this box under $50 go for it. But not for $75 and up.

ThirtyThree1/3 likes this.
  12. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Thank you for giving an all around balanced review including the packaging. I was curious if any previous reviews were overall harsh due to the vinyl not being cut AAA. I agree the price is too high for what's described, but wanted to know if it was worth the price despite the digital origins. If this comes along at a lower price I will buy it.

If I am really going the digital route I may just buy the CD detailed by our host since he says it's the best sound not on vinyl.

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

@Steve Hoffman
    You told about the mono and stereo masters of Way Out West many times in the forum. I would just like to know if the original mono masters of the Contemporary classics such as Way Out West and Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section, still survive in the vault today. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  14. Steve Hoffman

They did when Fantasy controlled the catalog. That’s all I know.

jfeldt, kt66brooklyn and yasujiro like this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Was it when you made the 45 vinyl?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  16. Steve Hoffman

Yes. I gave it a listen before deciding on the stereo tape which was much better all the way around.

Why do you ask? (I haven't read this thread.)

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I’ll send PM.

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I see two hi-res versions from 2017: one with the original track listing and one labeled “deluxe edition” with the bonus tracks. Is the non-deluxe the same as the first “disc” of the deluxe edition? The former is in 24/96 on Qobuz while the latter is 24/192. No clear mastering credit for the non-deluxe. There are some old, closed threads on this site from people praising the hi-res from 2017, but they don’t state whether it’s the version with or without the bonus tracks.

I picked up an XRCD of this album from this forum’s marketplace. I was expecting the 1997 XRCD, but the one I got was from 2003. It still has the Alan Yoshida mastering credit, but it also says “assisted by Lisa Stuck.” Has anyone compared the two XRCDs? Are they actually a different mastering? It’s odd.

Because this is how I roll, I also bought a NM copy of the old silver label MoFi CD. What great sound on that disc!