Sony - Audiophile SACD/CD/DVDPlayer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Togo, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was Thread Starter

I'm thinking about upgrading my (now busted) Pioneer Dv626d DVD/CD player with the Sony ns900v do it all player. I've seen this in the UK for around $450.

Thing is, being the way I am, I'm looking for audiophile CD performance in addition to great SACD and DVD performance in one box.

Is this a vain hope? How do you find Sony generally when it comes to audiophile playback/system performance?

I could go for a cheaper DVD player, forget SACD and plump for a one box pure CD solution of course...my budget is limited though at around $500

In the end I'll have to trust my ears, but any help much appreciated as always!!!

I value your opinions guys...:)

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Togo,

I would suggest you consider the 2-box option although I've not heard the ns900v.

For audiophile performance on CD & SACD from SONY, the 777ES (not the multichannel version, XA-777ES!) and SCD-1 are the cream of the crop - a little over your budget though!

It is possible that you can still get the 777ES from SONY as a special order from around 1700 quid (no pound sign on this damn keyboard!) - ask at your local SONY centre if you're interested. I know it's a lot of money, but, believe me, it's worth every penny.

A cheaper option would be the SONY XB-940-QS (CD/SACD 2-channel). Richer Sounds were knocking these out for 250 quid a little while ago. I think some Sony centres still have some pretty cheap as well. They are supoposed to be reasonable quality and you get SACD at a bargain price. They won't play CD-R though, so.... There are modifications available which are supposed to bring this player closer to the 777ES/SCD-1 realm but, again, I've not heard the player

I don't know too much about the multichannel or multiformat players - maybe others could help you here....

As for DVD, I picked up a Panasonic DVD A-350 (RRP around 700 quid) for 150 quid on Tottenham Court Road a year or so ago! When on a budget you can usually find something if you look hard enough.

Glad to see someone else in the UK adopting the SACD format - most people have never heard of the damn thing!

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I'm very interested in the suggestions of this thread (keep'em coming). I'm thinking by the end of summer or after "new" stuff comes out in the fall getting either a SACD (scad)/CD player (that can also handle CD-R's) or a SACD/CD/DVD/DVD-A (hopefully if more become available/this format war is silly). I would want something that has pretty good quality up to maybe a $700 budget (perhaps used if I go the SACD/CD route). My main thing would be a player that handles SACD and CD very well. If I went they surround road then I hope there are some more units (rare) out there that have a reasonable bass management set-up (adjustable x-overs would be nice/duh). I'd love to own a 777ES but that's just too much for me at this point. Let the suggestions keep rolling, I'm having fun reading about this...

Todd

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Please note: The low end Sony SACD / CD player that I was looking at does play DVD but does not play DVD-A. I guess this means it plays 2 channel music. DVD-A is 5.1. I'm pretty sure they play DVD video.

Why am I so wishy-washy? This is the info that I got from the Sony store. :rolleyes:

Anyway there is supposed to be new SACD / CD players coming on the market really soon. I am not sure if these new players will handle DVD or even DVD-A. I'd like to have a choice about that to buy so I am waiting.

Digital out is not yet available on these machines. As far as I know....

Definitely get something with bass management! You may have to wait a year to get a reasonable priced player with bass management, though. But I think bass management is mostly for surround sound (5.1 or even 6.1!)

Brother Todd, save those pennies, huh? Sounds like you are on a spending binge!
    :eek:

I'm jealous! ;)

PS I know someone with a big budget that traded in his DAC when he discovered his low end Sony SACD player sounded better than his CD / DAC set up!

5. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

I have the DVP-NS900 and I recommend it. OK, I haven´t done any A/B with it yet, but I listened to a number of CDs and a few 24/96 DADs and SACDs through my Sennheiser Orpheus headphones, and I was quite pleased.
    The video is impeccable, too. It´s definitely a good buy.

Besides, I think it´s going to last. My old Sony CDP-X222 CD player is about 10 years old and has not had a single problem, unlike other CD players I had before that. The DVP-NS900 seems to be a similar quality device.

6. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Sony endorses the SACD format, so their players are not DVD-A multichannel capable. I haven´t heard anything about future Sony players with DVD-A capability.

The DVP-NS900 does fine playing hi-res stereo PCM from DVD though. It also has a built-in DTS decoder, so given that all multi channel DVD-As have a Dolby Digital track on them, and some have even an additional DTS track, you should get good results playing these in the Sony DVD player.

The Sony DVP-NS900 has a SPD/IF digital out for all audio formats (including the soundtrack of a DVD video), except SACD. In the menu, one can configure if a 24/96 track should be presented as 24/96 or 16/48 at the digital output.

I don´t know much about bass management, but there are a lot of settings in the DVP-NS900 where you can configure your speaker layout, whether or not you have a center, a subwoofer etc. I guess this has an effect on bass management, too, but I haven´t verified because I don´t run a subwoofer at this time. (Just got a pair of huge electrostatic speakers *gasp*)

7. Todd Fredericks

Brother Gary, I'm on a spending binge but slowing winding down. I'm kind of putting together a system that I'll be with for a few years. I'm going to wait most likely until the fall to see what new stuff is out or what the used market looks like for SACD players (also something that does CD justice). I'm sure I'll find something acceptable for my indicated "present" budget. I'm pretty much set equipment wise right now. My only purchases coming up (perhaps by June) will be some "used" Telefunken tubes for the Hong Kong preamp, some back-up EL34's (not NOS) for the Dynaco, perhaps some more isolation devices (when I figure out what may need some improving) and also maybe some more Belden cable (and some WBT imitation RCA plugs). Part of my "silly" motivation for all this is that Mrs. Fredericks (she has always used her maiden name though) would never have approved of me doing this (which in some ways makes sense) but I really wanted to establish my own "ground rules" in this "new" life of mine. In other words, life has/had been rough for a long time and I really wanted to treat myself to something extravagent to give myself some pleasure (heck, why not?). My main interest is to start saving to get my acting career back in action (I want to get some new headshots which can be costly, etc.). Hopefully, I'll be ready to put the proper amount of focus into that by July (I'm giving myself a breather until I'm up to the challenge to put the required energy in/the healing process takes time). I also want to be able to keep up with some current releases, etc. Luckily, I'm doing okay financially now. I'll need to start saving also to make some income changes and be able to start taking risks again. Right now, I'm playing everything safe until I feel like I'm totally "me" again (takes time). I'm kind of happy because this Wednesday I was invited to go to a theatre benefit at a restaurant I love (Dish of Salt) and perhaps I can do some mild networking. Last Saturday I went to an interesting small music/art Benefit. I had a little too much wine and found to the suprise of myself and the crowd doing some unexpected MC announcements because a band was taking forever to set-up. I got some good laughs (No one was offended/quite open to the idea). I had fun (kind of the old "me")...

Todd

8. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

What type of Telefunken tube are you looking for ?

Regarding EL34, check out Svetlana, or the JJ E34L.

9. Todd Fredericks

I'll need 3 12AX7's. Someone very kindly said he can hopefully hook me up with some fairly priced used ones. He suggested I give it a month of so to get used to the preamps sonic signiture before making the switch, so I can really hear the difference (great idea). Also, it'll give me a little time to allow my bank account to reproduce.

Todd

10. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Wow, the Telefunken 12AX7 (we call it ECC83 here) is much sought after, and it is pretty rare even here in Germany. Let me know how much you are going to pay for this.

Note that there was an ECC803S (expensive, low-noise, low microphonic, long life version) and an ECC83 (standard radio tube). Both translate to 12AX7 in the U.S. nomenclatura, because they are fully compatible, but they have a big difference in price.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Brother Todd, I am happy to hear that things are normalizing for you and you are getting back on track. The healing process can take a long time but I am confident you'll be successful. I wish you all the best! :) And I'm glad you are getting back into what you love - acting! Try to do a bit more than 'mild' networking, if you can! Just an idea... .

I paid $35.00 each for my used Telefunken 12AX7's. That is Canadian funds, of course. That would be between $20.00 and $25.00 US, each. The last time I talked to this guy, he had about 8 left. Wow they are a great improvement over the other $##$@ I had!

Take care!

12. Todd Fredericks

Thanks Gary!

13. rudy

rudy Forum Resident

Togo,

I recently purchased the Sony NS900V primarily as a dvd player, but also thoought it was a good opportunity to try out some SACD discs. As a dvd player, it is wonderful and I have yet to purchase a component cable TV, so I'm just using the S-video cable. This is my first dvd player so I'm just happy to get away from the VCR.

As a SACD/CD player, I just haven't made a decision. I've only played it for approximately 80 hours so I don't think it's had sufficient burn-in time. I only have about six SACD discs and the most dramatic improvement is Dylan's, Blonde on Blonde. I have done an A/B comparison with the CD and the SACD blows it away. I have also done an A/B comparison with Alison Krauss's, Forget About It, and there was a slight improvement. The Krauss disc is a hybrid disc from Rounder so I need to go back and make sure I played it on the Sony correctly, I just read somewhere else on the forum that some players default to the CD layer on the hybrids. I have yet to try the multi-channel since I don't own a HT receiver, although I heard a multi-channel disc played on a Marantz unit at my local audio shop and was not terribly impressed.

As a cd player, I still prefer my Rotel 991 over the Sony.

I'm just hoping the Sony improves with age. Good luck on your decision.

-Rudy

14. Togo

Thanks for all your suggestions Malc S - much appreciate this!

As for SACD, I must admit I have been sitting on the fence waiting for either DVD-A or SACD to triumph. However, the more I read and hear, SACD seems to be just starting to take a lead (however small).

I've also read great things about this Sony player and at the price, I might just go for it....and end up buying a pure CD box as well!!!!

Cheers!;)

15. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

As I just mentioned in another thread, there is a new Pioneer player (at least in the UK) which is "universal", in that it plays DVD-V, DVD-A and SACD. I read about this in What HiFi (sorry, I only browsed it and didn't record model numbers). This would seem to be a nice solution for those who are unsure of the format future (as we all are). However, it's still a bit pricey, at 900 UK Pounds. But it's a hopeful sign for the future, I think - we should be seeing more of these players, no doubt.

The What HiFi article compared the Pioneer with the low-priced Sony player that handles SACD and DVD video. I've seen the Sony in action, and it is a nice machine, about half the price of the new Pioneer. The article also mention a Toshiba machine that handles DVD-A and DVD video (but not SACD) - this machine has progressive scan for the video and appears to be a good value unit.

16. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

17. Togo

18. Togo

Re: Re: Sony - Audiophile SACD/CD/DVDPlayer?

Good to hear - thanks petzi and everyone else for your help!

Apparently there are some technical problems with the Sony UK version of the ns900v and it has been withdrawn for modification..so looks like I'll have to wait to audition it for a while!

I'm also looking at the Pioneer DV 646a (DVD-A/DVD/CD)...but it looks at bit flimsy to me when I look at what happened to my last one (small child falls over, bang, crash, goodbye Pioneer!).

Whatever, I aint gonna rush...looks like I'm using the Panasonic beatbox for a while!!! Bye Bye audiophile sound quality for the time being...

19. Togo

Thanks Rudy! The trouble is (as always) it is such a difficult decision to make! There is so much great kit out there these days...

20. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: Sony - Audiophile SACD/CD/DVDPlayer?

Huh ? Why should there be a Sony UK version ? Why should that be any different from the continental European device, except for the power cord maybe ?

I paid 525 Euros by the way.

21. Togo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sony - Audiophile SACD/CD/DVDPlayer?

Sorry, I meant withdrawn by Sony UK rather than a UK model...maybe something wrong with a particular European shipment?

22. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

I may be way off here, but I think I read somewhere
    that some products can't be offered in the UK due
    to copy-protection complications. Anyone know if
    this could be the case?

23. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

You can also take a look at the latest Philips DVD/SACD player I believe it's the 962.
    According to the German magazines it's pretty close sound quality wise to the SACD-1000 by Philips. (which I own, and it's a much more expensive player).

Rumor has it Toshiba will be releasing SACD/DVD/DVD-A player later this year. According to my source the 520 and higher models will all play these formats. So maybe you should wait for just a few months longer. (toshiba has already started release the x20 models because the 220 is already available).

24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I have had a DVDA player for a couple of months now and I really feel that the DVDA versions of the so far released Classic Rock albums blow away their cd counterpart.

It's not even close.

Anytime I've had someone over to the house and A/B'd CD vs. DVDA, the DVDA version always wins.

Metallica's Black Album is a good example. The DVDA rocks like that recording should, the cd sounds anemic next to it.
    The new Queen DVDA again embaressed the cd version, it was no contest.
    But of course I love multi-channel music because I do have a Home Theater system that can do it justice.

I still haven't heard a SACD that rocks like that. I recently heard a Sound System that costs thousands of dollars which has both SACD and DVDA. While SACD sounds very polite and nice, the DVDA's heard on that same system sounded grand, larger than life. Everyone in the room like the sound, no one complained, the music sounded like fun!

So far if you like Classical and Jazz, SACD seems to be the way to go. But if you like Classic Rock then DVDA is the way to go.
    Till Sony puts out some more Classic Rock titles it will hard to say which one wins but at this point I am very happy with DVDA.

If you ever are able to put together a HT system that includes DVD, then try DVDA.

JohnG

25. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

JohnG, I hope you will get a chance to listen to the JSACD Elegant Gypsy by Al DiMeola. Oke it isn't rock but his guitar stuff wouldn't be misplaced in any rockband. The sound of this disc is great and I think it will impress you.
    Over here in the Netherlands there is hardly any intrest in either format. One of my local record stores sells SACD, none of them have DVD-A titels. But they only have 2 customers (me, and one other) on a population of 128.000 that buy SACDs at that store.
    I have to travel to the second largest city in the Netherlands (Rotterdam, pop. 500.000) to find a store that sells both SACD/DVD-A, and they only have about 20 titels when it comes to SACD and about 5 DVD-A titels. Then again DCC and MOFI were also close to impossible to find overhere, thank god for the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.