Sony DVP-NC650V question.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

Anybody have a problem with this player at times only playing the CD layer on a hybrid disc. Put on Dark Side Of The Moon and it would only play the CD layer. Checked several other Hybrids same s**t happens. Is the lens dirty? Talk to me I need my SACD. No problem with SACD only discs. :confused: :realmad:

2. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Hmmm. I have the DVPNS500V. It has a button on the remote to select between SACD and CD layers. It takes a little while to find the "other" one.

3. Larry Naramore

I never changed anything after I originally set it. :confused: I push the SACD button and nothing happens. :confused:

4. Larry Naramore

Figured it out. Took off the cover and blew off the lens with some compressed air. Those cleaner disc s are worthless. The other day I picked up a boom box that a customer had thrown away because it skipped. Used a cleaner disc on it and it still skipped, took a q-tip to the lens and now it plays fine.

BTW thanks anyway for the advice.

5. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

But it is true that some hybrid disks have trouble in some CD players and the mastering of some gives some problems with either the SACD or CD layer is some SACD players. Some Philips and Samsung DVD players will spit out hybrid disks. Let's hope this technology matures very quickly. Shame on Philips for this sad state of affairs with some of its hardware.

6. Tomcw

Tomcw Forum Resident

This calibration procedure also works for NS 500V, 650V, 700V and who knows what other models.
    http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/sonydvd.html
    If the menu says LCD, that means SACD.
    If your'e having trouble with a particular SACD disc, be sure to use that one for the calibration, mine 650V wouldn't play hybrids til I calibrated on a hybrid disc.
    I used 'Top Menu, Clear, Power' instead of 'Title, Clear, Power' on the remote to enter service mode.
    Tom

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Larry, I had the exact same problem with a SCD-C222ES SACD changer!

I took it apart and used compressed air on the laser. It seemed to help, but only momentarily. Other loadings of the disc only picked up the CD layer. So now, if it doesn't pick up the SACD layer, you must eject and try again.

Funny this is happening with this new release. Happened with two different copies of the disc too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.