Sony Japan releases Santana III Hybrid SACD with Quadraphonic Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Simon A, Oct 21, 2021.

1. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

I listened to it, yes. My first impression was that the quad opens up the mix a lot – I always through it was a dense and frantic album anyway. Perc in the rears a fair bit and some nice room-filling effects on vocals. Sadly Carlos' singing isn't improved in quad. One moment of speaker-hopping gimmickry stuck out for me. I won't have a chance to give the disc another spin until the weekend, tho.

Technically the quad layer isn't remastered, due to it never having been released. ;)

2. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I can. There are tools to download from Tidal in stereo, Atmos and 360. The latter is the tricky one because you need an MPEG-H decoder. Once you have the m4a or Flac files, you are ready to listen via pc or avr, but I don’t think this is the venue to discuss tidal downloads. However, it is possible and I do it to test masterings before making a purchase. Or to have an offline copy of an Atmos mix that wasn’t released on disc. That’s all

3. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Yes. It is a discrete quad into a 5.1 container with silent C and LFE.

Beefalo likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes it was certainly released before. It has been remastered for SACD. It HAD to be remastered or they would not have been able to get this issue out to retail.

5. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

6. Zeptana 79

Zeptana 79 Well-Known Member

An upcoming Caravanserai Multichannel Hybrid release is referred to in the liner notes by Willie Nagasaki on this one.

chaz, clhboa, gd0 and 15 others like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I hope Borboletta is the next release after Caravanserai :).

pscreed, chaz, ti-triodes and 5 others like this.
  8. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Ordered from CD Japan. They have a 1000 Yen coupon for orders over 10000 Yen good for the next couple of days. I added the Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother 50th Anniversary Edition to get over the threshold and then softened the blow by redeeming the points I received in prior orders.

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It will most likely be Welcome since they are releasing them in order.

Bill Mac, Zeptana 79 and clhboa like this.
  10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Lotus was out of order.

allbrosca likes this.
  11. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

I'll leave it up to the less smooth-brained to decide if a 50-year-old stereo matrixed vinyl master is in any way comparable to a DSD-transferred multi-channel master.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Wowie!!! Weee!!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Zeptana 79 likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would compare a discreet quad Q8 myself. Just love my quad that way.

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I meant after Caravanserai, which was already mentioned in the booklet for 3.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, right. I saw the quote you had after posting.

Really glad they made it this far, and the next couple anyway.

clhboa and Rycherocker634 like this.
  16. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

With Lotus they already had the tapes ready so that AF could botch their release of it. Then Sony came to the rescue and gave us the real thing.

clhboa likes this.
  17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Mine came today. Unfortunately I won't be able to check it out anytime soon.

18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

How did AF botch their release of Lotus?

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Looking forward to this arriving soon. Hopefully next week.
    It's really nice to hear Caravanserai is coming soon.

20. In what way?

clhboa likes this.
  21. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

That's what MikeT was asking, as someone earlier in the thread said it was botched.

22. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

AF announced it as multi-channel then later went to stereo instead. They also did this with two Grand Funk titles and BS&T Greatest Hits.

clhboa, quicksrt and PineBark like this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

AF was told that no 4-channal tapes existed for Lotus (and so their SACD is in SQ, and not true discreet quad) and that the SQ tapes were all that it was mixed down to as a true master.

Then Sony comes up with the real 4-chan tapes later for their own SACD, how convenient.

supermd, Galley, PineBark and 5 others like this.
  24. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Got mine last week. Just listened to the RB stereo layer, which has been referred to as the "latest" mastering. That being a bit vague, I checked it against my copy of the 2016 MFSL SACD RB layer. I checked Guajira on each version, and per Audacity, the MFSL is clearly more quiet and the new one seems to have some peak limiting, without any clipping. I could be wrong, but its hard to see how they can be the same master.

Is there a more recent remaster SONY JP refers to, or is the 2016 it?

25. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Just ordered this today before the CDJapan coupon ended. It is currently the #3 highest selling item on CDJapan and has already moved to the "In Stock: Usually Ships in 1-2 Days" description after only 6 days of being on sale.

If you are planning on getting this i wouldn't wait long since it is a limited release that may not even make it to other retailers if it keeps selling this fast.

Galley and Simon A like this.