Sony Legacy Pop Market (Pt 5)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Luckily, American Express refunded my money I paid to PM a day or two before they went silent.
    I contested the charge and Amex contacted them and PopMarket never responded.

2. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Sounds like it is time for a RIP PopMarket thread ;) !

lightbulb likes this.
  3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

That's really a shame. Any chance that the site being down is a prelude to a full re-launch or do those seldom come with actual downtime between releases these days?

4. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Don't know how true it is, but the link to their site says they will be back soon. :shrug:

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

haha what a bunch of jerks. what exactly was the point to constantly telling everyone that they were "fixing up" their site?! sleazy.

The Beave likes this.
  6. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

They told me they were gonna be back... but looks like I need to contact PayPal...

7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

My last experience with Popmarket ended on a good note. (in a strange way)

Ordered Sharon Jones LP when it was a daily special. It didn't ship immediately, so I emailed them about a week later inquiring about the shipment date. They replied canceling my order instead and refunding the $13. (I didn't understand their reply and refund) Didn't think it was worth complaining about the 'cancel,' since I didn't know if they would give me the same price and free shipping. Also, their emails were slow and didn't think it was worth getting into a 'back n forth' about the LP. Then about 2 weeks later the LP is delivered. I email them immediately, but they have not replied.

lightbulb likes this.
  8. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

My first and last experience with Popmarket ended up working out pretty well. I ordered the three MSFL Hall and Oates SACDs for $15 each and they sent me two of each item when I only ordered one. I tried contacting them but they never responded back to me. I gave them to my friend who is a big Hall and Oates fan as a Christmas gift.

lightbulb and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  9. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That's probably why they went out of business.

lightbulb, Tjazz, jimhb and 1 other person like this.
  10. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

My last Pop Market experience wasn't a bad one, for me, but probably didn't help them...

I ordered the Faces box set. The usual story, it shipped in an oversized box with little protection. Just some crumpled up paper and not nearly enough to keep it from moving all over the place in the box. Of course it was pretty banged up. I could've overlooked it as the records all played fine, but figured I'd write them an email, since all they needed to do was put it in a smaller box or put some extra paper or bubble wrap in the box and it probably would've arrived fine.

Anyway, they shipped me a new one and never asked for the old one back. They did ask, long after the fact, if I'd send a picture of the damage -- which I already had sent with my original email to them -- but by the time I was going to resend the pictures they were belly up.

11. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I had a couple orders that weren't fulfilled. The Kinks Mono box and the Rolling Stones at the Forum. I ended up going to my credit card company and registered a complaint. Lucky for me, I got a refund a week or two before they quit. I found the last version of Popmarket to be difficult to deal with. They never responded to my emails. I sent at least 10 emails requesting to return an Elvis Costello LP, that I thought was going to be an MFSL, but never got a response until I registered a complaint. They sent me a label to return it, which I did, but I never got a refund for it. There were some good deals, but they were awful to deal with

12. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

13. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

14. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I think Chapter 11 can be used for reorganization. So I might still be able to order the Kinks Mono box set from them!;)

BrewCrew82 likes this.
  15. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

They told me they expected to be back... so we will see.

16. stoneknuckle

From their Facebook page yesterday....

Hey Everyone,

DirectToU, the company behind Collectors' Choice Music and Vinyl, Critics' Choice Video and DeepDiscount.com, has just acquired the assets of PopMarket. We are very excited to continue the work that PopMarket has done over the years to expand the knowledge and availability of great music.

Right now we are loading in the unfilled PopMarket orders with the goal of shipping these out early next week. We will be in touch soon after with any customer that has an order that we are not able to fill.

Thank you for your continued patience. We can not wait to show you all the new stuff we have to offer and look forward to earning your continued support.

Runicen likes this.
  17. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Didn't know collectors choice and deep discount were the same ownership

18. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

This kind of market consolidation and merging is rarely good for consumers. But we shall see. Sometimes large vendors can take advantage of economies of scale and offer better pricing..

Brendan K and seaisletim like this.
  19. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Calling @kwadguy . He'll tell us who owns what. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  20. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

This is good news, I guess. Gone are the days of Popmarket's great packaging.

21. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I've gotten orders from Popmarket in the mail with deepdiscount.com labels on them in the past. I assumed they were already connected somehow; maybe they used the same distributor. Everything always seems to come from someplace in Kentucky.

22. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

A couple of years ago all of their inventory was switched to the business that distributes deepdiscount and collectors choice. The move meant the sturdy packaging was now replaced with a sub-par flimsy packaging. I know I received a number of messed up packages. I bet they lost a lot of money on this.

Oh, I also recieved wrong orders... like a My Three Son's dvd box set instead of a vinyl box set. Popmarket told me to keep it, so I ended up giving it to my dad.

23. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Import Cds also.
    The parent company used to be "Super D" out in California. It's privately owned.

zphage likes this.
  24. stoneknuckle

Alliance fills the orders for all of the above and then some....what I find strange is that I was under the impression that DirectToYou was running this since Sony was out of the picture,so maybe nothing will improve or get worse and it will just be business as usual going forward.

lightbulb likes this.
  25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Thanks for the info!

However, quite honestly, I'm keeping an eye on the clock. For the next hour and twenty-one minutes, I ain't trusting anyone!!!

I sincerely miss PopMarket, even their daily dozen emails, so I do hope they are resurrected - possibly with even better deals - but I remain skeptical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.