Sony Legacy Pop Market

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by hutlock, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing Thread Starter

Got this email yesterday and signed up... the Santana deal is over... today's deal is Alabama, with Simon and Garfunkel and the Clash coming up later in the week...

Special Invitation For Legacy Recordings Subscribers
    Legacy Recordings is proud to announce the launch of Pop Market, to celebrate we are offering a limited number of invitations to our Legacy Recordings newsletter subscribers.

Pop Market brings members-only pricing to music fans with savings of up to 70% off great music CD's and merchandise from Legacy Recordings artists such as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Miles Davis, and many more!

Here's How It Works:
    Daily Deals begin at 12 PM EDT Monday thru Friday
    Inventory is limited, so be sure to log in early to get the best selection
    You'll receive a daily reminder email when each sale starts
    Today and today only, get Santana's Dance Of The Rainbow Serpent - the heart, soul, and spirit of Santana in one classic collection at 55% off the original price.

To sign up for your free membership and start shopping for the best deals in music Click Here!

www.popmarket.com

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I got this email too. I feel like I can get stuff cheaper off Amazon's used marketplace or half.com. Dumb ideas like this is why the music industry is tanking. How about offering rare, unreleased live and studio stuff via Itunes and CD's on demand??? There's is so much stuff in the their vaults that nobody is doing anything with. What are they waiting for to release this stuff??

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Because offering unique music is expensive: Lawyers have to review contracts, often artists have to sign off, liner notes have to be commissioned, etc.

Discounts on overstocked stuff in the warehouse are easy and cheap...

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I agree. And when Columbia House still had a music club, you could regularly order any of their box sets at a deeper discount than this andusually get some free cds along with the purchase of the box set. 55% off some box set that almost everyone already owns who really wants it doesn't seem like much of an "offer" to me.

I think it's nice that the OP posted the heads-up here since maybe there are some people who will think this is enticing. I'm just underwhelmed.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I know there are rights issues but it’s a win-win for the artist and the record company to share profits on vault material. If you are aren’t offering anything new and unique to the market then you aren’t going to increase your profits. With advent of ITunes, I think the opportunities to release vault material are endless.
    The Sony Legacy email I received sounds like a complicated mail order cut out bin. I have to keep track of daily emails from Sony to tell me that a box set that came out 15 years ago is now going for 55% off? Give me a break. DELETE!
    Bring back Columbia House/BMG Music Service. I gave a lot of money to them. They decide to do this crappy idea instead of keeping around the record clubs??

Sorry to rant and I am not attacking the original poster at all. I’m ranting because I hope record industry folks read this and realize they need to put a little more effort into offering something to their consumers.

I can get this box set for 11.98 used on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Rainbow...2A9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288124821&sr=1-1

This idea stinks.

6. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

Count me as one of those. Buying from third party Amazon sellers and Half.com is usually hit or miss when it comes to service. The prices really aren't that bad, averaging about 4-6$ per disc on the boxed set. I think the days of getting something for nothing from the music stores are long gone. Operating costs are going up and there's just not enough business to "make it up in volume". As long as the customer service is decent, this is a good deal.

7. hutlock

Thanks for clarifying that you weren't attacking me for posting this, guys... I appreciate it, as I was only trying to pass on some deals.

I know you can always find some of these older boxes cheaper, but that's generally for a used copy... I figure for a new one, these are some okay deals so far at least. We'll see how it goes. Maybe if this flops, they'll tweak it a bit.

8. hutlock

Today's deal, just FYI:

Ken Burns Jazz: The Story Of American MusicMulti-disc box set providing an aural history of the entire jazz genre.
    • 94 songs
    • Visionary artists
    • Remastered sound

Original Price: $59.98 USD

$26.99

9. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Tomorrow is Simon & Garfunkel, which means it's Old Friends or the Complete Columbia Recordings set. I'm hoping for the latter, and at or below $20.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Complete Columbia Recordings has been available at Costco for around $22, and I think for $20 at one point...The same set of recordings PLUS the DVD of Concert in Central Park has been less than $20 shipped from Amazon.co.uk multiple times...

11. GroovinGarrett

It's the Complete Columbia set today, $22.49 shipped.

12. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Back in the day, I bought the box from bmgmusic for $18. Those were good times.

13. hutlock

Today: The Clash on Broadway, $22.49 shipped in the USA.

14. GroovinGarrett

Brubeck gets the nod today: For All Time 5-CD set, $20.24 shipped in US.

15. GroovinGarrett

Today is Lady Day: The Master Takes and Singles, $22.49 shipped in US.

16. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

They had the Miles Davis GENUIS trumpet suitcase for $750 with 10% off. I assume free shipping too.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm still waiting for them to offer a box that isn't molding on the shelves.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

And an example would be?

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Something first issued in the past five years...

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I know everyone appreciates a bargain but let's face it, the older moldy stuff is what is going to get blown off in most cases. An example is Amazon's Bear Family sale, I don't see the recent releases at those great prices. But it is great for us to catch up on some titles we may have missed.
    Since I live in "hicksville" with nary a Costco within 200 miles I truly appreciate people posting info on these sales.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Exactly. You have to expect that Sony is going to be blowing out the older stuff.

22. GroovinGarrett

Indeed they are.

Today's offering is Miles Davis and Gil Evans: Complete Columbia Studio Recordings for $36.39 shipped in US.

The rest of the week, actual sets are speculative:

Tuesday- Roy Orbison (Soul of Rock and Roll, or Sony has found really old stock of The Legendary Roy Orbison set).

Wednesday- Weather Report (Forecast: Tomorrow, probably $28 or so)

Thursday- "Boots, Buckles and Spurs" (??)

Friday- Luther Vandross (Love, Luther. Currently $19.99 on Amazon.)

23. GroovinGarrett

$26.99 shipped in US.

24. Any reason to pick up the Orbison box if one has the Bear Family box? The price is okay, but when it was first released I believe Costco was selling them for around $25. I stayed away because of the reports concerning the awful packaging.

25. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

It covers a wider period than the bear set...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.