Sony Music Cuts Off Third Party Licensing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

Guess that puts a dent in the MFSL business model going forward.

3. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Also being discussed in the Sony Digital Campaign thread here.

TonyCzar likes this.
  4. davers

davers Forum Resident

Wow. Just thinking of the Wounded Bird label for example - I don't know exact numbers but I'm thinking many of their reissues never would've occurred under this policy.

5. Off [a bit]:

A possible Analogue Production SA-CD of "Electric Ladyland" is crushed then [if true]!

Some 50th Anniversary Celebration of Jimi's greatest legacy [DRD ratings].

2019 & audiophiles are still losing the "LOUDNESS War".

:shrug:

Fishoutofwater and ispace like this.
  6. This move begins to gut any reissue label that wants to remain in the CD business. I'm mostly thinking of Real Gone, which has licensed numerous Sony albums in the past few years for CD.

I believe this is a power move by the label to end CD as a commercial medium. Because we know for a fact that Sony has no interest in pumping out more CDs. They want their digital business to have the exclusive rights to any reissues.

jay.dee, izgoblin, babyblue and 35 others like this.
  7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

That sounds sadly plausible.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

CDs? What are the ramifications for those audiophile labels who market SACD and vinyl exclusively? The rest of us gave up on CDs a half decade ago other that $1.00 and / or .50 thrift store items.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Is there an official statement from Sony on this, or just word of mouth on a message board many of us have never visited or heard of?

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And, what does this mean for the (whateverthehell used to be called) Columbia Special Products Division? What if they need to license tracks to other music groups for compilation products they've already committed to? Or, to deal with other music groups for tracks for their own?

What if suddenly every year there's this big foofrah because one of the Rat Pack artist Christmas tunes is on Universal, and another's on Sony, so they can't make yet another 10-song re-shuffling of the same titles for a budget "Santa Songs" release? Truck stop cashiers coast-to-coast would go ballistic!

What does this mean to movie soundtracks involving songs of several labels? "Sorry, you just can't use 'Footloose' in your CGI dance scene."?

Howabout promotional music appearances in teen television shows, like the WB dramas used to do? Would Sony artists be left out of the negotiations because they're being d*cks?

melstapler likes this.
  11. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

No, but then again the people who initially reported this are highly regarded reissue producers.

Should be pointed out that this decision affects all formats, not just CD's. Yes, even vinyl.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd expect a more official worded statement from an audiophile label or mastering engineer, or even Sony's memo to a client. Might not be as bad as it sounds at first.

13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

If this is for real, it really sucks!:thumbsdow

14. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Sony is a master of shooting themselves in the foot.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes, but have they just set the precedent for Universal and Warner Music, too?

Hopefully, Real Gone can get that Three Dog Night comp out before UMe also bans third-party licensing.

Jrr and Sneaky Pete like this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Universal had a "no outside licensing" rule on their catalog in place some years ago.

It put a crimp on their incoming cash flow and they dropped it after a few years.

It's common to see a new strategy in place, and then the new download site is a disappointment - and it's back to business as usual.

Sometimes someone is fired and the new hire wants to quickly get cash flow going again.

17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Will this decision affect licensing with regards to international labels?

Platterpus likes this.
  18. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

No more Bob MOFI's ?
    [​IMG]

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They did his whole damn catalog what the heck are you smoking?

izgoblin and Technocentral like this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This sounds like it's primarily aimed at licensing for physical releases rather than for use in a TV show, movie or commercial. So you'll probably still hear Footloose in the CGI dance scene. You just might not see it on a physical release unless Sony or a related label is releasing it.

I think any project they've already agreed to and signed contracts for will be completed. But there must be a lot of ongoing negotiations that are going to come to an end.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Definitely plausible.

But I wonder if, at this point, they figure they can do boutique releases themselves because the economics have changed to such an extent that it's worth trying on your own, whereas in the past it just made more sense to license it out due to the low volume?

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  22. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Haven't seen anything too exciting coming from Wounded Bird, but I love some of the other re-issue labels including BGO, and Esoteric.

Dok likes this.
  23. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I guess no more reasonably priced, excellently done Dutton Vocalion SACDs.

24. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Erm, no they haven't. What are YOU smoking ? :shake:

Links to MOFI 'Pat Garrett...', 'Hard Rain', 'Dylan at Budokan', 'Street Legal', 'Slow Train Coming', 'Saved', 'Shot of Love', 'Infidels', Empire Burlesque', 'Real Live', 'Good as I Been to You', ' World Gone Wrong', 'Time Out of Mind', 'Modern Times', 'Tempest'...... PLEASE :rolleyes: (only 15 albums there)

Not to mention his 'lesser' albums...... or 'Official Bootleg Series' .......... :rolleyes:

25. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Good thing I grabbed the Sundazed reissues of 60s Columbia classix on CD while I had the chance (USA, Moby Grape, the Raiders, Sagittarius, the Millenium etc).

SinnerSaint likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.