Sony Music Cuts Off Third Party Licensing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Cheers. Here's hoping it materialises eventually.

Regards

2. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I'm sure we will soon have an Animals SACD, for at least a year or two. But 'What it means' is we may have an Animals Blu-ray in the long term. Or does Sony own the rights to that technology also?

art likes this.
  3. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I was in Target today. Looked for the music section . 5 albums and one small cd rack. Support your local record store, or go with the flow (stream). Your choice folks.

ispace and seed_drill like this.
  4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

This power move is only the beginning of a gradual campaign to phase out the commercial availability of all music created by humans. A.I. machine-created music is the commercial model that will replace everything we've known up to now. Sony are essentially moving toward eliminating the royalty payment system.

revolution_vanderbilt and art like this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

A possible glimpse of the future? The "Music Inspired By" album for the film "Roma" ("release" date Feb. 08), which includes tracks by Beck, Patti Smith, and many others, is ostensibly on the "Columbia" label, per Amazon. But there's also a warning @Amazon that the disc, should you order it, will be manufactured on demand.

It's available on streaming services, but I don't see the lossless available for download at any of the usual stores.

So, a tightening on physical product out in the wild thanks to on-demand manufacturing, and not selling lossless downloads probably has other ramifications for piracy.

ispace and Curveboy like this.
  6. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Soylent Green is people!!!
    ( I like scenario #2 )

7. People may scoff today but your scenario may become reality in 30-40 years. They basically have AI systems now being "trained" on the entire recorded history of Billboard hits, looking for common traits like chord structure and the like.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

9. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Some releases are still in the pipeline so we'll still see Sony licensed releases for a little while. La La Land Records and Intrada both said they have 2 (each) that got green lit before the memo was sent out, so they'll come.

10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Those labels do incredible work. Such a shame.

ispace likes this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yes, The Walter White Economic Strategy:
    Corner the Market, then Raise the Price.
    Although, slightly different as WW was banking on having the Best Product on the Market that everyone who buys that drug will only want what WW is selling(that 'Magic Formula' he created with his Chemistry Background).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Mr. H and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  12. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Yes (woo hoo), but that's what is creating the corporate pop music we have now. I don't think they're going to replace the near naked dancers soon though.

13. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I beg to differ. I haven't given up on CDs.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

And a generation brought up on autotuned crap already has no problem listening to synthetic noise.

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Please stop lumping everyone with the “rest of us”:cheers:

ispace, jay.dee, dalem5467 and 9 others like this.
  16. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I love SACD and DSD, however these are the only redeeming things Sony has done long term. They are otherwise a horrible company, from Beta to their Audio division proprietary BS to their Playstation division. They really are the absolute worst in terms of being consumer friendly. Horrible company

Sidewinder43 and klockwerk like this.
  17. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Buy physical media while you still can, folks. No more waiting around. If you rely on streaming only as you music source in the future you'll be out of luck for album availability as we know it. Record companies will remove/change albums and songs from streaming at their whim. They already do it.

RSteven, nosliw, jay.dee and 8 others like this.
  18. I don't think the music instrument industry is going to go away, nor people wanting to learn how to play instruments.

RSteven likes this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe not "go away", but neither the musical instrument industry nor young people learning to play musical instruments is thriving.

20. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Our schools really no longer have music classes or phys ed "gym" class anymore
    Do they...i think its s thing of the past now

21. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I can't believe sony is gonna kill 3rd party licensing when they are one of the only hardware manufacturer s left. With their recent universal blu ray players out n upcoming. Exactly wtf do they think goes into that lil slot in the front of their machine??.? Yeah a disc ....stupid f**ks

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Those of us who still buy the music will be at an advantage.

Jrr likes this.
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just another example of one division not talking to the other.

marcb likes this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Something Sony has been particulary noted for over the years...

25. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I've had an extreme dislike of Sony for years. I wish they would stick to selling insurance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.