Sony Picks NBC's Andrew Lack to Replace Motolla

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/10/business/10CND-SONY.html

Sony Picks a Top NBC Executive to Head Its Music Division
    By BILL CARTER

The Sony Corporation has chosen the longtime television executive Andrew Lack to succeed Thomas D. Mottola as the chief executive of its music division, The Times has learned. An official announcement is expected this afternoon.

Mr. Mottola resigned under fire on Thursday, and Sony had been expected to look to an executive with consumer or finance experience to try to help heal its troubled music division.

Still, Mr. Lack's appointment will probably come as a surprise to many in the music business. Mr. Lack, who has been the president and chief operating officer of NBC since June 2001, has mainly served as a television news executive, having worked as president of NBC News for eight years before being elevated to the No. 2 executive position at NBC. He is known to be a close friend of Howard Stringer, the chairman of Sony's American operations.

Mr. Lack, 55, also went through a period of estrangement from NBC's chairman, Bob Wright, last year, and Mr. Wright even tried to force him from the company. But Jeffery Immelt, the chairman of NBC's parent company, General Electric, blocked that move and said at the time that he supported Mr. Lack's remaining in his position at NBC.

Mr. Lack, who spent 17 years at CBS before joining NBC in 1993, has no experience in the music business, which in the past has been dominated by executives with longstanding relationships with music artists. But Sony's problems in music, like those of most record companies, are related to financial losses from shrinking market share and the impact of Internet file sharing.

Mr. Lack, who does have experience in handling television talent, will be expected to lead a financial restructuring at Sony Music, tightening talent costs and probably trimming other expenses

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

"financial restructuring"

ya think he's been hired as a hatchet man... ?

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Hmmm, first time I've heard that one in regard to Motolla's departure. Weren't they just saying that he's leaving to start his own label?

So, is Michael Jackson going to start blaming Lack for his records not selling anymore?
    :rolleyes:

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

AGAIN with the "losses to to Internet File Sharing"!!!!!

Why didnt they say "Bad Music"???

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It will be interesting to see how they handle the Jackson mess.

They will probably keep Lack around to shape things up, then get a music person in. Mattola cared about the music and the artists. Lack probably doesn't. That's why he probably is the best to serve as the grim reaper.

This move could backfire.

6. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

well, they could list many reasons... do they have to name them all? File sharing is a big problem.

7. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

From the "I can't help myself from pointing it out department."

"Mr. Lack, who spent 17 years at CBS before joining NBC in 1993, has no experience in the music business..."

Could this be...

where they came up with the phrase...

No! He's NOT gonna state the obvious, is he?...

"Lack" Of Experience!!!!

:D

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Re: Sony Picks NBC's Andrew Lack to Replace Motolla

Yea, Soon he'll be blaming "Lack" of sales...on Lack:laugh: Hmmm, I agree with Isupro...Lack's less connected with the artist..Hmmm, a colder approach.
    :confused:

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

He's obviously been brought in there to clean house. They wouldn't hire such a ruthless, non-music-connected businessman if this were not the case.

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

As much as I disagree with Mottola's musical, uh, taste, he was a music guy. I fear the worse. All those well done and comprehensive reissue projects from Columbia Legacy and Classical...kiss 'em goodbye.

Dan C

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm curious now...

12. Grant

I wonder if we'll ever see that new Sly & The Family Stone set now...

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Lack is NOT good news to music fans.
    This is the slash and burn man who brought CBS News from it's Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite days to what it is now. A pathetic limping third-place shell full of desperate demoralized employees (well, the ones that survived the layoffs anyway).

He wouldn't know Uncle Tupelo from Uncle Miltie.

I do NOT like this guy. :mad:
    Dan C

14. Grant

It's gonna be like BMG. Do whatever it takes to increase the bottom line, which will mean increasing the volume by digitally boosting and limiting/compression. Remix Bob Dylan for today's audience. SACD not making enough money? Kill it!

15. Mike

Mike New Member

How does increasing the bottom line equal digitally boosting volume and limiting/compression?

Yes, Lack has been brought in to do the hatchet job. I think this is a good thing. Someone from the outside can make the hard decisions. Good luck to everyone who is about to lose their jobs. (except for the high priced execs that have plenty of dough)

16. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I think they see SACD as an investment into the future. a copyprotected format and an avenue for the electronics division to see more hardware. I'd be darn suprised to see SACD go away. Infact you may see just the oppisite. They could cut in other areas and dump money into r&d, product development, and marketing.

I could be wrong though

17. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I can still be positve :)

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Sony electronics and Sony Music are two very different divisions of a huge corporation. It's in Sony's interest (along with Philips electronics) to push SACD now that they've come this far.
    As far as Sony Music goes, they'll do what the parent company wants and release SACDs. However, I honestly fear that we won't see as many interesting or financially marginal artists reissued.

That includes the vast Jazz and Classical catalog. Monk's Columbia output, for example, is poorly represented on CD right now. Will Mr. Lack green light a huge Monk or Szell SACD reissue project while he's slashing costs and staff at Sony Music? I refuse to hold MY breath. I hope I'm wrong.
    Dan C

19. Grant

Look at what BMG did with Elvis. To get the younger audiences, they remixed many of the tracks to sound modern, then boosted the loudness because that's what they figure the public accepts. If the public likes it, they will buy it. Money. Profits.

20. Grant

But it doesn't generate the immediate sales figures shareholders like to see. There's no instant gratification.

The only thing I can see to save SACD is that Sony, the hardware division, has weight. They devloped SACD. This should get interesting.

I wonder if Lack even knows what SACD is?

21. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

It's all marketing. I am convinced that 75% of the people that bought the Elvis CD would accept it, no matter what it sounds like. They see the "hip" commercial on TV, so they are introduced (or reintroduced) to Elvis and have to buy it, just like any dishsoap or pair of sneakers.

BOB

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Lack probably thinks SACD stands for "Stupid Ass Compact Disc":laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.