Sony PS-HX500 or Project Essential II Phono USB?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mnit1965, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnit1965

mnit1965 Member Thread Starter

Hi all!

After many years without a turntable, and due to my increased interest in vinyl, I want to buy one.

Unfortunately, my budget is fairly low, about 200/250 Euros. I can only buy on a physical shop, and my favorite one has currently the Sony PS-HX500 (220 Euros) and the Project Essential II Phono USB (200 Euros).

I read some reviews and they all seem quality turn tables for the price.

The Sony is cool since is capable to record HI-Res, but this isn't a deal breaker for me. The Project also has some great reviews...

So, I'm undecided! :)

Since they are so similar in price, what would you recommend, in terms of sound quality right out of the box? Between these two is there a "nice and day" difference in terms of sound quality? And about future upgrades, like changing the stylus or cartridge?

Thanks in advance for all the comments!

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sony turntable ... I've been there and done that. ... PLEASE DON'T!

Years ago I had the following Sony turntable, (PS-X55) which I left in my old bedroom at my mom and dads house, as I had a huge chunk of my vinyl collection in storage down there, especially since they had built me a beautiful wall length wood built-in's storage system for me, when they added onto their house, while I was away at school, back in the late '70's. If you look at the following video of the same model Sony turntable that I had, take a good look at the turntable platter. There are a bunch of long thin holes in that turntable mat and platter and way down in those holes is oil. Well, long story short, that oil seeped up through the holes and all over that mat, basically killing the use of that turntable, along with the Steely Dan album that I last left on it! That house, that turntable, most of that part of my vinyl collection and sadly, both of my parents, are now gone. But, anytime that I see anyones interest in a Sony turntable, my mind quickly flies back to my oil leaking story!

Get a refurbished DUAL 1229 and a ORTOFON 2M Blue cart, then sit back and enjoy your records!

3. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

What is the goal for that you want a USB turntable? Analog audition or digital needle drops for PC?

For analog audition you need too a phono preamp, an amp and speakers.

For digital recording the SONY's Burr-Brown ADC is better (up to PCM 192/24 or DSD128). The Project's ADC is not Hi-Res (PCM 48/16).

The SONY platter is made from aluminium die cast, with 5mm heavy rubber mat. The Project platter is MDF with felt mat.

TL;DR = the SONY PS-HX500 is the best option.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

With all due respect to Chris C, I would ignore his post. What happened in the 1970s isn't likely to happen with a product that was designed 40 years after the fact. The other things is that I sincerely doubt oil seeped upwards. More than likely the platter mat started to breakdown from heat. And leaving a record on a turntable while you are away for schooling seems more like operator error rather than a machine malfunction.

I would agree with BrilliantBob if your goals are needledrops and your budget is that tight. I wouldn't even bother with the DSD as you'll be limited in editing functionality outside of slicing up the recorded files into individual tracks. Tools for declicking won't be compatible with DSD. But before you think you need a USB connection, verify that your needs actually require this functionality. You computer may have an Analog to Digital Converter. If it does, I would recommend looking for a base unit without the ADC and maybe upgrading the cartridge. While I don't recommend going with a phono stage, there are plug-ins to correct RIAA equalization for Audicity, so a phono stage isn't an absolute must. You would probably lose a lot of sound quality without the boost in gain, however. So if your budget it really tight for an extended period of time, the Sony may be your best bet if you want to record in high resolution.

nosliw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.