Sony reissuing the Miles Davis “complete” series....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Apr 13, 2020.

1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I think that order is correct. Gil Evans was definitely first.

supernaut likes this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Also should be noted that they are all remixes by Mark Wilder rather than the original LP mixes. He does a nice job but just reporting in the interest of transparency.

jfeldt likes this.
  3. mjb

mjb Senior Member

I'm very surprised to see that these are apparently being reissued using the original elaborate metal packaging versus the more conventional box set format adopted several years after the initial release.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

These are the sets Teo complained about, right? Because of the alternate versions?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Hmmm.. In a Silent Way or Jack Johnson?

6. Easy: Jack Johnson

Tim Bucknall and jfeldt like this.
  7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I did as well. It's amazing to think that much time has passed. I haven't played any of these in ages,
    since switching over listening mostly to vinyl about 12 years ago. Maybe i still have something that can
    spin a CD, i'll have to go have a listen again.

brianvargo likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I already have the Genius of Miles Davis set (the one with all the CD boxes in a trumpet case with a trumpet mouthpiece). Got it from Popmarket for $225. So I guess I don't need this. But maybe I should have sold that earlier :)

Beamish13 likes this.
  9. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I just wish these were getting vinyls

Chrome_Head, Dubmart and nerd767 like this.
  10. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Easy: In a Silent Way.

11. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Tangentially related, but it does annoy me that the Jack Johnson documentary he scored is unavailable in any high quality form. It was nominated for an Oscar

Mook and tedhead like this.
  12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I’ve been picking the originals up on that auction site after getting turned on to them from one of @Mazzy videos. That On The Corner set goes for crazy money, glad I’ll be able to pick it up for $70.

here’s to hoping we see more stuff get re-released like Cellar Door, Plugged Nickel, etc.

13. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yes. Been wanting Complete On The Corner for awhile

Instant Dharma likes this.
  14. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Like so many I bought these when released and then a couple years ago my wife gave me the Trumpet case as birthday present. Didn’t tell her , didn’t want to seem ungrateful. Finally sold the duplicates last year. Well a year after that she bought me the Bob Marley Metal Zippo Lighter set. I already had those on cd including the deluxe versions. Traded those for some BN records.

Am I the only one that keeps the wife on a need to know basis. She is really cool about music in general and likes that I have passion. Just last month she encouraged me to buy my most expensive find.

Regarding the Miles metal spine sets, they are really cool packaging even though I rarely play them.

dennis the menace likes this.
  15. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Very strange and interesting that they are selling these again, particularly in the metal spine configuration. Makes me wonder if they overestimated the demand for the trumpet case and are now selling excess sets individually - perhaps more plausible than going back to print on these? Either way, as a trumpet case owner, glad these sets are being made available at reasonable prices to those who want them.

16. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

What did the full trumpet sets go for when released?

17. nerd767

nerd767 Forum Resident

From what I could piece together Complete Bitches Brew is having the non-album songs on vinyl for RSD. Throw in Big Fun and you probably have the majority covered

Beamish13 likes this.
  18. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I have the RSD In a Silent Way extras on vinyl

Ken.e. and Instant Dharma like this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Of course, Plugged Nickel was not a part of this series, but I seem to remember an announcement on the Forum some time ago about it being mysteriously available again for a short while. Don't remember the details and can't find the thread, I'm afraid (I bought it at release, so didn't need a copy).

DeRosa likes this.
  20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Easy: both!

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Easy. In A Silent Way. Do not pass go Do not collects $200!!

Lonson and DaveinMA like this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Me too. In fact its still going to be hard to decide between that and the Second Quintet set.

23. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Both

Jam757, petercl and Instant Dharma like this.
  24. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i add stuff to the Amazon cart around my birthday and christmas and i usually end up getting those cds

Gdgray likes this.
  25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

That second quintet set is a piece of musical paradise for me. So much to love.

StarThrower62 likes this.