Sony reissuing the Miles Davis “complete” series....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Apr 13, 2020.

1. I already have it all, but it's nice to have it back in print for a reasonable price. Sad that they didn't include The Cellar Door Sessions. Not a fan of Complete Live At Plugged Nickel, but it would have been nice to have this truly complete and have that available as well.

Car and DTK like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I do too. It's the only release where you can get the awesome Philharmonic Hall recording (as initially released on My Funny Valentine and Four And More) complete and in the correct order.
    For some reason.
    But the other live sets are available complete as stand alone releases.

3. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I too am very interested in answers to this.

The OTC box will cost me circa £70 with shipping but I worry about tax. 'Be nice if they appeared on a UK/European website.

grimble likes this.
  4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

This.

DTK likes this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I was going to start a thread about this. Thanks for beating me to it.

I have the big Complete Albums shoe box, Cellar Door and Plugged Nickel sets. I will probably pick up the On The Corner set, since it's so highly thought of. I love the '70-75 stuff as much as the earlier stuff.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I'll go for any of the other ones.

6. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

This is very cool. Unfortunately for me, I just filled in the gaps in my Miles boxes last year with OTC. I had to wait until I found a copy going for about $125, which took awhile. Glad that these are getting back out there.

Too bad we won't be getting any more bootleg series installments, apparently.

7. misteranderson

I thought somebody had some good info here about the boot series continuing. A couple months ago, or maybe around the holidays.

robcar likes this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It was Miles expert Peter Losin who proclaimed that the Bootleg Series were dead. Then he backpedaled and said they are potentially not dead for unknown reason. Maybe Sony gave him a wrist slap.

supernaut and misteranderson like this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I always worry about the tax. But we just have to grin and bear it, I suppose.

Actually I just got a CD from mofi - with shipping over the limit, and customs cleared it with no bill. Maybe now is a good time.

'With shipping'? You mean 'plus shipping'? I guess the shipping will be quite a lot and it adds to the taxable value.

Mook likes this.
  10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Is the 60s quintet Plugged Nickel box included???

jay.dee likes this.
  11. misteranderson

12. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

My favourite of these is the on the corner sessions. It's so good with long spaced out jams.

Mazzy, Hootsmon and misteranderson like this.
  13. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Best bet is amazon. You'll pay duty up front and they will arrive quickly.
    At present amazon aren't exporting to UK but will start again when things quiet down.
    Ive been buying from amazon USA for many years

Mook likes this.
  14. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

No, the OTC box is approx £58 & shipping around £9 (14-21 days).

How much do you reckon the tax would cost roughly? I'm tempted just to by the OTC box now.

15. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

reckon you'll be looking at an extra 25 notes, including handling fees

Mook likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is shipping only £9. That seems incredible.

You basically have Import Duty and VAT and Handling.

Duty is only payable on goods over £135 = £0 in this case.

Goods worth more than £15 you pay VAT

VAT is payable on (Goods + Postage and Packing (yes, packing) +Import Duty).

So estimate £13.40 VAT (at 20%) + C&E Handling. People charge different amounts for this. Guess £10 = possibly £23 total extra.

EDIT . I see garrincha beat me to it with an equal estimate.

Mook likes this.
  17. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Thanks both, so somewhere around the £95 mark then for that box in total.

*goes away for a wee think

mr.datsun likes this.
  18. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Would love the OTC box, the only one I’m missing, agree also would be surprised if original box replicated, as iirc it was heavy and embossed, more so than the others.

And yes Plugged Nickel wasn’t in that seri3s. Would love that too. ;)

19. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

$1200

20. i don't own the 7 steps or the gil evans boxes. not sure i care. i want plugged nickel though.

21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have all of these. The only one I have that is not the metal spine version is the “Quintet”; it’s in the book form.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Your post reminded me it was a crazy price initially before they saw sense, apparently even crazier than I remembered, $2,000, went down to $1199 quite quickly though: Genius of Miles Davis (Sony box set)*

Tjazz and hutlock like this.
  23. Car

Car Forum Resident

I only have the cellar door sessions, which in my opinion is the pinnacle of his electric period. I've got the other albums, just not the full sessions. I would jump at them if they were released on vinyl, as my listening to Cd's has been reduced severely over the last few years, and a decent streamer means that I can listen to most of these in that format. Which is a shame.... Maybe I just need a decent cd player.....

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I already have the On The Corner Columbia CD. And I just ordered Big Fun 2xCD for £8 - on the principle that, a. You can have too much of a good thing, and b. It's a lot cheaper.

SteveM and Car like this.
  25. Car

Car Forum Resident

Big Fun is an awesome album

DTK, supernaut, Jam757 and 2 others like this.